Premium Member Option?

Adjel

I am a fairly new geocacher, and I got my husband and several other people interested in it as well. My husband and I, as well as one of our friends, are very competitive people. I would like to see as an option for premium members, a side-by-side comparison of users and their caches. Think XBox Live gamer point system. You can compare yourself against any one other gamer friend, see what games they have played, and how many and which ones of the gamer points they have gotten. I'd like something similar to look at, at a glance. I know the red check marks indicate ones you have in common, but a side-by-side comparison would look neat. Maybe be able to compare you to two other cachers at a glance?

I just think it takes too many clicks and steps to get down to looking at my husband's (or anyone's) cache list, and think it would be great if you could get to it in a click or two instead, as a premium member.

Just a suggestion.

Waiting for the "this is not a competition" crowd to step in.

I think it'll be nice to be able to do this against someone on your "Friends" list. Right now, the only way is to look at their finds, and see the check mark to the left to see if you found it before.

The only way I can think of to do what you want is an application that reads two "My Finds" GPX and spits out a report. Not difficult, but someone needs to write it. I've been meaning to try out a small XML library I downloaded - maybe I'll give it a shot (but don't hold your breath).

Edit to add : there may be a GSAK macro for that.

Edited by Chrysalides

The only way I can think of to do what you want is an application that reads two "My Finds" GPX and spits out a report. Not difficult, but someone needs to write it. I've been meaning to try out a small XML library I downloaded - maybe I'll give it a shot (but don't hold your breath).

Edit to add : there may be a GSAK macro for that.

There is indeed a TOU-compliant GSAK method for doing that.

The "It's Not About the Numbers" website is another TOU-compliant way to compare common finds between two geocachers.

Remember that direct sharing of "My Finds" files or other pocket query files is not allowed under the TOU.

Remember that direct sharing of "My Finds" files or other pocket query files is not allowed under the TOU.

Yeah, I thought that is likely the case. I'm not even sure if sharing a pre-digested version that contains only waypoint ID, date, and possibly waypoint name would be allowed under the TOU, even though that would be even less info than a LOC file. I guess if I get that far, I'd contact Groundspeak for clarification.

>>Remember that direct sharing of "My Finds" files or other pocket query files is not allowed under the TOU.

I don't understand how what I am suggesting is in violation of the TOU. Once someone has "friended" you, you are able to see all their finds, as well as other information about them. You cannot see this without them having given permission for you to see it. So a side-by-side comparison of finds or DNF's of your friends shouldn't be a violation of anything.

>>Remember that direct sharing of "My Finds" files or other pocket query files is not allowed under the TOU.

I don't understand how what I am suggesting is in violation of the TOU. Once someone has "friended" you, you are able to see all their finds, as well as other information about them. You cannot see this without them having given permission for you to see it. So a side-by-side comparison of finds or DNF's of your friends shouldn't be a violation of anything.

The sharing of PQ files is a violation of the TOU. The fact that they are a friend does not enter into the picture. There are ways of accomplishing the comparing of finds that does not involve sharing PQ files. These are not a violation of the TOU.

Jim

Once someone has "friended" you, you are able to see all their finds, as well as other information about them. You cannot see this without them having given permission for you to see it.

Not true. This isn't Facebook. I can see your entire profile, including your finds, even though I have not "friended" you. Likewise, you can see mine. Take a look. Click on my handle to the left of this post.

The Friends feature on geocaching.com only adds your friends to a list. It gives no additional privileges.

The sharing of PQ files is a violation of the TOU. The fact that they are a friend does not enter into the picture. There are ways of accomplishing the comparing of finds that does not involve sharing PQ files. These are not a violation of the TOU.

Jim

The OP never suggested that PQs should be shared. In fact, she never referenced PQs, at all.

The feature that she is requesting is a way for "friends" to easily compare each other's stats within GC.com.

Edited by sbell111

I am a fairly new geocacher, and I got my husband and several other people interested in it as well. My husband and I, as well as one of our friends, are very competitive people. I would like to see as an option for premium members, a side-by-side comparison of users and their caches. Think XBox Live gamer point system. You can compare yourself against any one other gamer friend, see what games they have played, and how many and which ones of the gamer points they have gotten. I'd like something similar to look at, at a glance. I know the red check marks indicate ones you have in common, but a side-by-side comparison would look neat. Maybe be able to compare you to two other cachers at a glance?

I just think it takes too many clicks and steps to get down to looking at my husband's (or anyone's) cache list, and think it would be great if you could get to it in a click or two instead, as a premium member.

Just a suggestion.

Can't this already be done at INATN?

http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/compare_finds.php

Just a suggestion.

Can't this already be done at INATN?

http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/compare_finds.php

Sure, but that's not nearly as easy as clicking on a button in the 'my friends' area of your profile.