Not Logging?

geocasher101

I have recently found a cach that had been found a few weeks earlier but the page's last comment was in august? why? :)

Over the year's about 1 in 3 log entries I find in my cache's physical logbooks never get made online. Seems like there is a large group of folks that enjoy caching but for one reason or another - don't feel the need to share stories online.

I have recently found a cach that had been found a few weeks earlier but the page's last comment was in august? why? :)

Over the year's about 1 in 3 log entries I find in my cache's physical logbooks never get made online. Seems like there is a large group of folks that enjoy caching but for one reason or another - don't feel the need to share stories online.

My son is one of those people. He enjoys going out and caching but he has no interest in spending his computer time entering logs.

Why? Some reasons I've heard:

-They don't have the time.

-They plan to get around to it - someday.

-It's nobody's business where they go and what they do.

-They believe that by doing so they are entered into some imaginary competition that they want no part of.

-They are concerned about people stalking them through their logs.

-They thought the cache was lousy and rather than saying something unkind online they'd rather say nothing.

-They forgot.

-They are too lazy to do it.

Personally I think logging online is a nothing more than a simple courtesy. The cache owner spent the time, effort and money to place the cache, so the least I can do is let him know I found it. Other people obviously feel differently.

Online logging also has a side benefit of being a convenient place to keep a journal of my adventures and another key benefit is that it automatically removes caches I found from PQs.

-They believe that by doing so they are entered into some imaginary competition that they want no part of.

-They thought the cache was lousy and rather than saying something unkind online they'd rather say nothing.

-They forgot.

Personally I think logging online is a nothing more than a simple courtesy. The cache owner spent the time, effort and money to place the cache, so the least I can do is let him know I found it. Other people obviously feel differently.

Online logging also has a side benefit of being a convenient place to keep a journal of my adventures and another key benefit is that it automatically removes caches I found from PQs.

Of course you could add some more positive reasons to that list. Mine would include

- I don't enjoy that aspect of the game, so I don't do it.

That is all.

Of course you could add some more positive reasons to that list. Mine would include

- I don't enjoy that aspect of the game, so I don't do it.

That is all.

That would be our son also. He has absolutely no interest in the logging part of it. We put out a cache to celebrate his son's birth (first grandson), told him he had to log it since it was assumed they'd be FTF and it was only courteous to let others know it's "available for finding" (which of course it is the moment it publishes, anyway).

He could not remember his previous team name or password, so had to create a new one. Trekkin' has offered to help him sort through and log things under this new name...he could care less.

Hard to believe he's our son! :)

-They forgot.

3/8 of the above points deal with privacy. If Groundspeak somehow implemented a way to log a find but make it private (the general audience doesn't see the finders name on the log, but the owner of the cache sees the trailname -- I know this can happen because it's how it works on another hide n seek site I'm a member of), and the profile remains private too, then perhaps more folks would log their find.

Personally I think logging a find especially a unique personal log (i.e. not cut and paste, not acronym-only) is integral to the game and the reason this past-time thrives. Adding more privacy options to the site might increase the number of online logs.

-They forgot.

3/8 of the above points deal with privacy. If Groundspeak somehow implemented a way to log a find but make it private (the general audience doesn't see the finders name on the log, but the owner of the cache sees the trailname -- I know this can happen because it's how it works on another hide n seek site I'm a member of), and the profile remains private too, then perhaps more folks would log their find.

Personally I think logging a find especially a unique personal log (i.e. not cut and paste, not acronym-only) is integral to the game and the reason this past-time thrives. Adding more privacy options to the site might increase the number of online logs.

I totally disagree.

One of the best aspects of Geocachng has always been the openess and the shared experience that the structure of the site affords. I can see who they were - what other caches they enjoyed - what they logged, when and at least a small measure of thier experience.

I think some other element of caschers would be less likely to participate if you started hiding profiles, logs, counts and the shared experience.

If Groundspeak somehow implemented a way to log a find but make it private (the general audience doesn't see the finders name on the log, but the owner of the cache sees the trailname -- I know this can happen because it's how it works on another hide n seek site I'm a member of), and the profile remains private too, then perhaps more folks would log their find.

Anonymity is what you make of it at gc.com. There need be no personally revealing details in your profile at all. The trailname can be Bozo the Clown. Unless/until you spill the beans to someone, no one outside of gc.com will have a clue unless they start stalking you to caches!
If Groundspeak somehow implemented a way to log a find but make it private (the general audience doesn't see the finders name on the log, but the owner of the cache sees the trailname -- I know this can happen because it's how it works on another hide n seek site I'm a member of), and the profile remains private too, then perhaps more folks would log their find.

Anonymity is what you make of it at gc.com. There need be no personally revealing details in your profile at all. The trailname can be Bozo the Clown. Unless/until you spill the beans to someone, no one outside of gc.com will have a clue unless they start stalking you to caches!

You don't have to reveal personally revealing details on your profile.

As soon as you cache with another person your name may be revealed to others. Even if you ask that your name and identity not be revealed it soon slips out and them many know who cacher XYZ is.

Been there. Too many know my alter ego I created specifically for adopting anonymously a classic local cache.

-They forgot.

I totally disagree.

One of the best aspects of Geocachng has always been the openess and the shared experience that the structure of the site affords. I can see who they were - what other caches they enjoyed - what they logged, when and at least a small measure of thier experience.

I think some other element of caschers would be less likely to participate if you started hiding profiles, logs, counts and the shared experience.

Personally I post for the chance to yak about my experience, and I enjoy reading about other people's attempts for the same cache. I don't give a rats fanny if someone wants to look for a cache but skip the online part.

They're happy doing what they do and I'm happy doing what I do.

As soon as you cache with another person your name may be revealed to others. Even if you ask that your name and identity not be revealed it soon slips out and them many know who cacher XYZ is.

Been there. Too many know my alter ego I created specifically for adopting anonymously a classic local cache.

If anonymity is that important to someone, they best not log on to gc.com, or for that matter the internet. Nor should they use a cell phone, credit card, ATM pr library card.

If anonymity is that important to someone, they best not log on to gc.com, or for that matter the internet. Nor should they use a cell phone, credit card, ATM pr library card.

All true but paranoia is not rational. Heck I know people who refuse to shop online, but think nothing of handing their credit card to a gas station attendant or a waitress.

All true but paranoia is not rational. Heck I know people who refuse to shop online, but think nothing of handing their credit card to a gas station attendant or a waitress.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out to get you.

1-They don't have the time.

2-They plan to get around to it - someday.

3-It's nobody's business where they go and what they do.

4-They believe that by doing so they are entered into some imaginary competition that they want no part of.

5-They are concerned about people stalking them through their logs.

6-They thought the cache was lousy and rather than saying something unkind online they'd rather say nothing.

7-They forgot.

8-They are too lazy to do it.

Put me down for number 6. I actually enjoy writing, as I get to play with the storyteller part of my brain, and this often results in logs several pages long for caches I really enjoyed. However, I usually write my logs as a reflection of the amount of effort put forth by the hider. If I locate a cache which has absolutely no thought or effort put into the hide, I'll put that same amount of effort, (none), into my online logs. Rewarding crappy performances typically results in more crappy performances. To test this, wait till your puppy piddles on the carpet. Praise him and give him a treat. See how long it takes for him to piddle on the carpet again.

I have recently found a cach that had been found a few weeks earlier but the page's last comment was in august? why? :lol:

If I were the cache owner I would go back and cross out anyone who signed the log but didn't log on line. :o

If you do Groundspeak will restore the logs, as the cache owner should delete bogus logs but should not delete legitimate ones. Sign the cache log and that's a legitimate find log. There is no requirement to report the find online.

...I get this funny mental picture of Jeremy and Elias going about re-writing logs in soggy logbooks after the owners cross them out........ :lol::angry: