One stop cache drop strategy

Migs

Friends:

What is the proper way to go about setting up a cache that you want to leave in a remote location? How do you get the data for the label so you only have to visit it on the drop off day? (i.e. cache number)

Can you prepare the publishing report and save it unfinished so you already have the cache number?

Thanks amigos,

Migs

When you fill out the on-line form to Report a new cache you can un-check the little box which says "Yes, this listing is active..." Doing this will allow you to preview your cache listing and the GCnumber for your new cache will be seen on the page. You will be able to edit your text until you are happy with the whole cache page.

Then, when you're satisfied and the cache box is in place you can go back and re-check that box, also tick the boxes at the bottom (making sure that you have read and understood the Guidelines for Listing a cache) and then click "Report New Listing". This will send your new cache listing to a Reviewer.

As you state that the cache is to be "in a remote location" make sure that you particularly notice the part in the Guidelines about Cache Maintenance.

Good luck.

MrsB :D

Friends:

What is the proper way to go about setting up a cache that you want to leave in a remote location? How do you get the data for the label so you only have to visit it on the drop off day? (i.e. cache number)

Can you prepare the publishing report and save it unfinished so you already have the cache number?

Thanks amigos,

Migs

Whilst it might be very good practise to mark a cache with the GC number, there is nothing in the guidelines (yet) to say that you must mark up your cache in any way at all.

First to the lady: Thanks for the extremely useful information.

To the other comments: I will be climbing a mountain in a remote location, so I doubt I will be able to return for some time, thus I want to leave a "Resident Geocoin", and a large notebook/log and Pencils.

To the kind moderator: Am I going against some regulation or form?

Thanks to all of you!!!

Migs

Edited by Migs

I think what Briansnat was referring too is ,it states in the rules that you must be able to maintain any cache you place.

This is a Cut/Paste from the Rules page

Cache Maintenance

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive the listing.

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

If you have special circumstances, please describe your maintenance plan on your cache page. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

For some of my more remote caches, I tend to do what MrsB describes, but the other comments regarding maintenance are also true. If you're merely going to toss a container out and basically abandon it, it's not such a great idea. If it's a remote area that is difficult to access, you might wan to consider finding a partner or a local that can help with maintenance.

Realistically though, I'm lucky to get back to some of mine more than once a year, but since there only found once every other year, it seems like a reasonable maintenance plan to me. After all, excluding natural disasters, there's very little that can affect a remote backcountry placement of this sort and doesn't require quite the same attention or time as a skirt lifter at Wally-World :D

hmmmm...

You all have enlightened me. I will abstain from planting the caches that I cannot maintain. Especially since I am a newbie at this. Instead I will plant my caches near the vicinity of my "area of influence" so that I may go back and maintain.

I guess it was good to ask the question first before planting!

You all are most kind to give me these directions.

Migs

The one in Tarija I'll check in the next few days as I am going there (800km from home!) and the last one (Zongo) I'll check when I get back from Christmas vacation.

I might just place a new one there since Zongo is close by,

Thanks for the heads up!

Migs

hmmmm...

You all have enlightened me. I will abstain from planting the caches that I cannot maintain. Especially since I am a newbie at this. Instead I will plant my caches near the vicinity of my "area of influence" so that I may go back and maintain.

Migs

On another hand, if a Cache is well thought out, and well placed, you may be able to maintain it by visiting every ten years. I have some Caches that I have never returned to, but also have never had any problems reported.

On another hand, if a Cache is well thought out, and well placed, you may be able to maintain it by visiting every ten years. I have some Caches that I have never returned to, but also have never had any problems reported.
+1

I learned a lot from my first hide because it required a lot of maintenance. I had to visit it at least a couple times a month to put it back in place, to fix something, etc. My current hides have never needed maintenance. I drop by every few months when it's convenient, but there haven't been any problems with them.

hmmmm...

Migs

This is maturity, rather than the excitement at the beginning. Congratulations.