pen/pencil

Baysidebob

I like gel pens, specifically Pilot Mini G2. I've lost enough of them on the trails in just 1 year. Sadly, gel ink runs when the log is soaked though. Ball point ink works much better when the log gets wet.

I have a Fisher space pen, but they cost 15 times what a mini G2 costs, and would hurt a lot more to lose. The mini G2 is also more comfortable to hold (thicker) though for scrawling name and date it doesn't really matter.

By the way, if you're interested in Japanese made pens (and pencils), I found a great place to buy them from. Standard disclaimers : I've bought once from them (just last week, in fact), don't have any financial interest, don't own any part of it, don't know anyone who works for or owns the place, etc. http://www.jetpens.com - and I checked, they have the Uni Ball power tank that I haven't been able to find in a store anywhere. Is that the same one, StarBrand?

I keep regular pen, pencil and one of those tiny Sharpie markers in my cache bag. That covers me for virtually any condition. I also have small 'replacement' sheets for those really wet logs where nothing works.

I've also used a lighter to burn the tip of a small twig and signed one log that I'd hike a 1/2 mile back to didn't have my cache bag or pencil. Sooted tip wrote just fine :antenna: but use caution in fire prone areas.