Th3 Noob!

TinmanJones

hello all...

im brand new to geocaching...

today (12-6) i went on my first ever caching ride and fell in love with it... yea, im still a little nervous about getting out with my gps and wandering around, and i haven't quiet gotten the feel of looking in stumps and pipes, but i hope to overcome these things soon...

my friend, arkfiremedic and 2ter, took me around and let me hunt with them a little, and my thanks goes out to them for allowing me to become an overnight addict...

im just an old truck driver, nothing real special about me...

got my gps all loaded up for my run to Tx tomorrow...

wish the new guy a little luck!!!

be back soon...

thanks for this site...

Hello and welcome to the game! I'd warn you about the addictive nature of this little past time of ours, but I think the warning would fall on deaf ears. It was just a little over a year ago that I got bit by the geocaching bug and I find it to be a really fun way to get outdoors and find new locations. Hunting caches is fun, but let me tell you a simple way to improve the fun factor tremendously. Take a kid caching. If you have children take them out with you. If you have no children then borrow some from family members. Since my duaghter was grown already and living several states away when I discovered geocaching what I did was borrow 3 of my sisters boys to take out with me. It makes a fun activity a great activity. Anyways I'd better let you go so you can do something productive (like maybe geocaching). Welcome to the game and be safe while you're out driving your truck! :D

You might be interested in GeoTruckers, and in some of the big rig friendly bookmarked lists that cachers are maintaining. here's link to Trucker Lee's South Central list.

Thanks EVERYONE for the kind words...

Luckily, I drive trucks for a small company & travel south Arkansas, western Arkansas, & eastern Texas...

The downside, is the limited parking for 18 wheelers... But when you're bit by the bug, I think you'll do whatever you have to do to fill the urge...

Again thanks...

I went to a cache today at a busy intersection (without any help, alone), got out of my vehical & wandered around for a minute... then chickened out... LOL

Will the uneasy feeling about being watched or caught by a Muggle ease over time???

My heart was pounding like crazy...

What do you guys do when you feel like your being watched???

Wander up and down, pretending that the GPS is a mobile phone...

Pause to re-tie laces...

Carry a clipboard and make notes on it... look "official"...

Re-tie those laces again...

Casually lean against whatever you need to examine while pretending to admire the view...

A coat/jacket slung over the shoulder can be used to mask what you're doing...

Take photographs...

Wear a hi-viz vest, pretend you're from the maintenance crew... just checking the signage...

Did I mention those shoe laces...

MrsB

We have over 40 geocaching videos called GeoSnippits Geocaching Videos. You will find tons of information, tips, tricks and everything you need to learn about geocaching. I highly recommend our Introduction to Geocaching videos to start.

You can also see our exclusive GeoSnippits videos on Michigan Magazine TV (RFDTV Network) which are seen in all 50 states every week.

-HHH :)

I went to a cache today at a busy intersection (without any help, alone), got out of my vehical & wandered around for a minute... then chickened out... LOL

Will the uneasy feeling about being watched or caught by a Muggle ease over time???

Use the fact that you are a driver you your advantage. I worked at a truck stop when I was kid. One thing I recall about a lot of drivers was that they liked to add after market decorative stuff (lights, chrome, etc) to their trucks. If a approached, just say you are looking for an ornament that you saw fall off your truck. You could even get them to help you look. :) Keep something small (and what you are "looking" for) in your pocket so it can be "found" if need be.

Use the fact that you are a driver you your advantage. I worked at a truck stop when I was kid. One thing I recall about a lot of drivers was that they liked to add after market decorative stuff (lights, chrome, etc) to their trucks. If a approached, just say you are looking for an ornament that you saw fall off your truck. You could even get them to help you look. :) Keep something small (and what you are "looking" for) in your pocket so it can be "found" if need be.

HAHA

that's pretty good...

Welcome!

I carry around a pile of card-sized What Is Geocaching? documents to hand out to LEO or civilians who want to know more.

This isn't Fight Club - it is OK to talk about Geocaching.

Have fun!

its my plan to talk about caching with anyone who asks... my facebook status' have been ALL about caching over the last two days...

i mention that im doing it, and THEY want to know what it is and how to be involved...

today i cached a few mins after work, during the "slower" rain moments...

after being here and searching this issue out yesterday, i feel MUCH more secure in my searches...

and if i feel like im being "muggled", i simply act as if my gps is my phone...

i just feel more comfortable now...

again, thanks!!!