Placing Geocaches in New york city parks

Scuba4jews

Hi! I was on the Metro NY Geocaching Forums and buttaskotch, who is a major NY City cacher, noted your post. The post she found on here said you were a teacher and you posted your name, which really caught my eye as I'm an aspiring teacher and almost share your last name (which I won't post here).

Anyway, you should join us, it's free, go to www.metrogc.org and the click on the link to the forums. Someone there can answer it. I'm not too familiar with NYC regulations (though I have several hides in Bronx parks and never had a problem) but someone there will. I live in southern Westchester and am slowly drifting towards CT (where my recently acquired teaching license is) so I'm not too familiar with NYC park stuff beyond the Bronx.

I also want to add that while I love the idea of introducing caching to schools and having them post a hide or two, please make sure you go on the site and maintain it. A charter school in the Bronx recently hid 2 caches in Crotona Park, and two areas they put it in had a lot of trash around them; one hide got stolen already and the other one had coords that were 200 ft. off (you'll see if you go to the list that I FTF'd them both!). And it appears from communication with them that after they hid the caches they have ignored it since.

Good luck!

I'm fairly certain that anyone outside of New York city does not know, and probably don't care.

Right, but some of us don't read the regional forums much... :laughing:

There are caches in just about every park you can find in NYC, From Central Park down to tiny neighborhood parks. I've never heard of geocaching being banned in any NYC park.

Geocaching would be an expensive game if you had to pay $25 a day to keep a cache active! :D

I've never heard of geocaching being banned in any NYC park.
Central Park, which is run by the Central Park Conservancy, is definitely geocaching friendly. Most of the parks are run by the City of New York. And, as hukilaulau says, I have found caches in many parks in The City, and have never heard of any problems or restrictions.

Geocaches are banned in Strawberry Fields in Central Park. An out-of-town cacher threw down a film cannister on vacation a few years ago, and refused to disable the cache when the area was closed for re-seeding. This despite multiple warnings in the preceding weeks from some cachers who pointed out the signs and fences in their Notes on the cache page. Sadly, some less-than-conscientious cachers continued to hop fences and trample the sensitive area searching for the (maddeningly) still-enabled cache.

The Central Park Conservancy was, rightfully, pissed. They removed the cache themselves, notified Groundspeak, and banned geocaching from Strawberry Fields forever. We are lucky that they didn't ban geocaching in all of Central Park.

I wouldn't necessarily describe the CPC as geocaching "friendly", but neither is it currently hostile. They have neither allowed nor banned caching, and they have their eye on us. But as long as we continue to play nice, things seem to be okay.

Central Park, which is run by the Central Park Conservancy, is definitely geocaching friendly. Most of the parks are run by the City of New York. And, as hukilaulau says, I have found caches in many parks in The City, and have never heard of any problems or restrictions.

Geocaches are banned in Strawberry Fields in Central Park. An out-of-town cacher threw down a film cannister on vacation a few years ago, and refused to disable the cache when the area was closed for re-seeding. This despite multiple warnings in the preceding weeks from some cachers who pointed out the signs and fences in their Notes on the cache page. Sadly, some less-than-conscientious cachers continued to hop fences and trample the sensitive area searching for the (maddeningly) still-enabled cache.

The Central Park Conservancy was, rightfully, pissed. They removed the cache themselves, notified Groundspeak, and banned geocaching from Strawberry Fields forever. We are lucky that they didn't ban geocaching in all of Central Park.

I wouldn't necessarily describe the CPC as geocaching "friendly", but neither is it currently hostile. They have neither allowed nor banned caching, and they have their eye on us. But as long as we continue to play nice, things seem to be okay.

He-he. You said "Strawberry Fields Forever".

I found a film canister thrown down by a European on Staten Island once. I'll bet that happens a lot in NYC. But most are never published.

I'm surprised that the admins (especially NYAdmin, knowing him or her) didn't simply archive it on the spot or something.