DNFs and bad maitenance by GC owner.

calgriz

I have been an avid GCer for awhile now. Most days, I enjoy this hobby for many reasons. The friends I bring along due to their interest, have enjoyed it too.

But for several weeks now, it seems the GCes I have been searching for are missing and were DNFs for my record. There have been a rash of them all in a row especially in large urban areas & parks. I will usually just log them in as DNFs and will return to look for them later. This is occuring over and over at a alarming rate. Even with virtual caches, my emails to the GC owners are going unanswered.

*How long do I wait for an answer to log in a virutal GC find? Sometimes, I am still waiting.

But I have noticed that when I read the online GC log, I was NOT alone. Sometimes there are a large number of other GCers having the same problem finding the same GC.

*Is there GC non-maitanence going on here?

I have noticed that some GC owners tie their GC placement & hints are connected to a local business, public park area, or local landscaping attribute. I go out searching for their GC and problems occur because the local business is gone, the public park area has become a private construction yard, or the landscaping bush has been removed by city crews. I log in a DNF and wonder why GC owners don't do better maitenance on these matters to keep the GC viable to us.

*Is it better to post a GC maitenance note on it's online public log or to email the GC owner person to person with this matter?

I don't mind helping GC owners on my searching with muggled GC because I have found several of those by cleaning them up and re-assembling them and placing them back at GZ. But recently, I have more DNFs than finds due to obvious GC owner's non-maitenance.

*What are the guildlines for GC owner's maitenance?

* What is the best way to correct GC owner's non-maitenance?

I am thinking of putting out my own first few GCs and I want to be a good GC owner with good maitenance. I need these to know thes guildlines too.

* Is it true that NO new virtual caches are allowed now only physical ones?

thanks, looking forward to learning the ropes on this.

I've given up writing to them as it seems NOBODY writes back.

just post a NM and be done with it.

WOW!!

Sorry I COULDN'T help you. LMAO!!!!

I guess I must be doing it all wrong then.

Maybe you can help me and tell me what I need to do.

Maybe this forum isn't as open as I thought it was.

Guess I will just crawl back in my cave and wait for the next new cache to pop up.

Suggest closing topic maybe since I am not allowed to express what I do in this case? WOW....

It was a joke.

I don't know you well enough to call you a clown.

You said that I forgot about "the More", so I linked to a cache named "The more you read, the more things you will know" Get it?

Besides, you felt that you knew me well enough earlier to imply that my posts to you were condescending, didn't you? :unsure: No offense intended, nore taken.

They were condescending, berating, OFF TOPIC, overly judgemental and arrogant.....and you posted a very passive agressive bad joke by you. Don't believe me, just read the other postings by nice helpful folks with no attitude to see the huge difference.

**Man, I get the feeling like I'm talking to Cheer's obnoxious Cliffy Claven. Pretty sad.

OK... we obviously are not exactly hitting it off, so goodbye. I was only trying to be helpful. I can't help it if you read all sorts of nasties into what I'm saying. Edited by knowschad

It was a joke.

You said that I forgot about "the More", so I linked to a cache named "The more you read, the more things you will know" Get it?

Besides, you felt that you knew me well enough earlier to imply that my posts to you were condescending, didn't you? :unsure: No offense intended, nore taken.

They were condescending, berating, OFF TOPIC, overly judgemental and arrogant.....and you posted a very passive agressive bad joke by you. Don't believe me, just read the other postings by nice helpful folks with no attitude to see the huge difference.

**Man, I get the feeling like I'm talking to Cheer's obnoxious Cliffy Claven. Pretty sad.

OK... we obviously are not exactly hitting it off, so goodbye. I was only trying to be helpful. I can't help it if you read all sorts of nasties into what I'm saying.

I agree with knowschad.

Good luck with your question.

Bye!

It was a joke.

OK... we obviously are not exactly hitting it off, so goodbye. I was only trying to be helpful. I can't help it if you read all sorts of nasties into what I'm saying.

I agree with knowschad.

Good luck with your question.

Bye!

grapes2.jpg

The lovely thing is opinions vary. Funny how they need the last word on this for their shallow egos....LOL.

With such berating judgemental forum 'help', I just as soon live without it. But the sad people that want to make this erroneously about me, just can't help themselves.

Funny how many other posters managed quite nicely without it. Thank heaven for them.

I think prudent people understand the problem and will resist the need to make this about me.

The lovely thing is opinions vary. Funny how they need the last word on this for their shallow egos....LOL.

With such berating judgemental forum 'help', I just as soon live without it. But the sad people that want to make this erroneously about me, just can't help themselves.

Funny how many other posters managed quite nicely without it. Thank heaven for them.

I think prudent people understand the problem and will resist the need to make this about me.

Well, my friend, first of all, "sour grapes" is a term that is generally intended for the loser of a competition. I neither consider this to be a competion,

nor myself the loser, if it were one. I also don't sense a single sour grape within myself or in my responses to you. Thanks to the several of you that have vocally supported me in that.

I may, however, have the last word here, no matter how tempted I am to lay low and chuckle at the fact that you and your own ego had it.

You came here spewing fire and brimstone about how something needs to be done about all these caches that you didn't find that just have to be missing.

My first reply to you was (in part), "To my way of thinking, I would probably only post a Needs Maint log (if the log was like paper mache)" Sorry I was so condescending in that reply. My bad.

Next, I asked the perfectly logical question, "I want to ask you how it is that you know that the caches were missing? Because you didn't find them?" If you don't find a cache, you obviously have no idea if it is missing or just very well hidden. That is a reasonable and commonly asked question here, and is not "condescending" in the least.

Your reply included one, and only one cache. Your original post referred to a "rash". I replied to that with, "I thought you were referring to a glut of geocaches, not just one. Is this really all about just one single cache?" Did I not have perfectly good reason to ask that question? You gave me one example, not a "rash", and you didn't even state that it was only one of many. A cache with no more complaints than a single wet log complaint, at that. At this point, you begin to complain that I have gone off-topic because I asked for some better examples that we could look at. You begin to complain about regretting that you asked. You still haven't given me, or any of us, enough information to answer your original question, for Pete's sake!!!

Finally... FINALLY... you provide some concrete examples. Three of them, to be exact. I took my time to take a look at all three of them and to post my opinions about each circumstance. That took some time, my friend. My replies did not go against your complaints about cache maintenance... in fact, in two of the three cases, I suggested that you email the cache owner, and if you didn't get satisfaction, that you then post a NA log. I'm guessing that I spend a good half-hour of my time trying to give you a fair answer.

I don't know what more you want except for somebody to pander to your complaint that we have a "GC owner's maitenance" issue. I think, from what you eventually posted after all my "off-topic" and "condescending posts" does indicate that two of the three examples you posted may indeed have issues, and I offered suggestions on how you might deal with those. Until now, I have not yet mentioned one thing about your own attitude.

Edited by knowschad

Well, my friend, first of all, "sour grapes" is a term that is generally intended for the loser of a competition. I neither consider this to be a competion,

nor myself the loser, if it were one. I also don't sense a single sour grape within myself or in my responses to you. Thanks to the several of you that have vocally supported me in that.

I may, however, have the last word here, no matter how tempted I am to lay low and chuckle at the fact that you and your own ego had it.

You came here spewing fire and brimstone about how something needs to be done about all these caches that you didn't find that just have to be missing.

My first reply to you was (in part), "To my way of thinking, I would probably only post a Needs Maint log (if the log was like paper mache)" Sorry I was so condescending in that reply. My bad.

Next, I asked the perfectly logical question, "I want to ask you how it is that you know that the caches were missing? Because you didn't find them?" If you don't find a cache, you obviously have no idea if it is missing or just very well hidden. That is a reasonable and commonly asked question here, and is not "condescending" in the least.

Your reply included one, and only one cache. Your original post referred to a "rash". I replied to that with, "I thought you were referring to a glut of geocaches, not just one. Is this really all about just one single cache?" Did I not have perfectly good reason to ask that question? You gave me one example, not a "rash", and you didn't even state that it was only one of many. A cache with no more complaints than a single wet log complaint, at that. At this point, you begin to complain that I have gone off-topic because I asked for some better examples that we could look at. You begin to complain about regretting that you asked. You still haven't given me, or any of us, enough information to answer your original question, for Pete's sake!!!

Finally... FINALLY... you provide some concrete examples. Three of them, to be exact. I took my time to take a look at all three of them and to post my opinions about each circumstance. That took some time, my friend. My replies did not go against your complaints about cache maintenance... in fact, in two of the three cases, I suggested that you email the cache owner, and if you didn't get satisfaction, that you then post a NA log. I'm guessing that I spend a good half-hour of my time trying to give you a fair answer.

I don't know what more you want except for somebody to pander to your complaint that we have a "GC owner's maitenance" issue. I think, from what you eventually posted after all my "off-topic" and "condescending posts" does indicate that two of the three examples you posted may indeed have issues, and I offered suggestions on how you might deal with those. Until now, I have not yet mentioned one thing about your own attitude.

I think this is the third time in a week that I agree with Knowschad. Hell will now freeze over and pigs will fly, but when someone is right, they are right.

Earlier today I got a DNF log on a cache on my watchlist. calgriz is wondering where the CO is as this is his second DNF on this cache. It is a difficult cache. (3 stars and I might give it 3.5 stars) I almost ran out to verify the cache was there but it was getting dark and I was just about to sit down to eat my Thanksgiving dinner. My guess is that the cache is there.

At some point most cachers are hit with the terrible realization that some cache owners lose interest in the game and abandon their caches. Or that cachers hide more caches than they can maintain and are so busy trying to build up their find count that they don't respond to maintenance requests. Often cachers will use this as an excuse for not finding caches. Only with experience do they get a good feel for when a cache might be missing or not. And even then, experienced cachers will tell you that you can never be certain a cache is missing, it often turns out the next person to come along will find that cache. calgriz needs to mellow out a bit on expecting every cache to be checked on every day just so he can be sure to find it. On the other hand, the game relies on cachers contacting cache owners to report problems, posting needs maintenance to flag these caches, and ultimately to post the needs archive to get a reviewer involved with caches that are no longer being maintained.

Thoughts to Ponder.... I'm refreshed and challenged by your unique incomplete point of view on these matters. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental. Go ahead and have the last word on this, reading your multiple posts on this thread to keep this thing going, you obvious need to have the last word about me. It's nice to have fans.

At some point most cachers are hit with the terrible realization that some cache owners lose interest in the game and abandon their caches. Or that cachers hide more caches than they can maintain and are so busy trying to build up their find count that they don't respond to maintenance requests. <snipped> On the other hand, the game relies on cachers contacting cache owners to report problems, posting needs maintenance to flag these caches, and ultimately to post the needs archive to get a reviewer involved with caches that are no longer being maintained.

On point, helpful, and informative. thanks.

It was a joke.

Besides, you felt that you knew me well enough earlier to imply that my posts to you were condescending, didn't you? ;) No offense intended, nore taken.

You have to realize that the system is not perfect, nor can it ever be. If you try to contact someone, and there is no response, just let it go and post a note on the page indicating what occurred.

A single DNF may sometimes cause a cacher to have a string of more DNFs because they unknowingly start their own behaviour patterns of expectations. Put a watch on the questionable caches and if there is a find, go out the next day and look. Eventually you may figure it out, but don't try to methodically clear the area and expect no issues. Every cache is a mystery until you find it.

Remember, it is the information age. We can receive up to minute stock prices, medical breakthroughs, political upheavals from all around the globe, of course we'd have to turn off the cartoons first. You know, in the future telephones will be obsolete, see people will communicate telekinetically using part of their brain known as the cerebral cortex that is heretofore untapped. You can do what I do, it's Prehensile Isometric Geometrics, it's muscle tension under constant contraction. See The beauty of it is you can do it anytime, anywhere but you don't perspire. With the recent strides in genetic engineering, I mean, we'll soon be faced with the possibility of producing enormous farm animals to feed the hungry millions. Now imagine one cow to feed an entire city, one egg making an omelette for an entire family. Yeah, I mean with the advances we're making today, the future is unlimited.

Sometimes it doesn't seem fair that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that go to bed stupid every night. Sometime caching is like snipe hunting. A snipe hunt is an age old custom wherein we take an uninitiated hunter, put him in a clearing with a gunny sack and the rest of us go into the bush to beat out the snipe to him. While the guy's out there with a gunny sack, we go off, have a nice dinner and some beers. Some cachers are like Wile E. Coyote. It's not that Wile E. Coyote wants to eat necessarily or that he wants to eat a roadrunner. What he wants is to eat that particular roadrunner. It's very existential. You can also think of caching as a complex activity like billards. After all the game of billiards was invented by the ancient Venetians, and it gained popularity after a group of Benedictine Monks invented felt. Using GPS units may attract negative attention also. You know there's been recent sightings of human beings being shot up into the underbelly of alien spacecraft. You know, and speaking of the Bermuda Triangle, it's not technically a triangle. It's actually a trapazeedarhomboid, perfect for attracting Martian spacecraft. You know, if I took a ride in a spaceship at the speed of light for 10 years, when I returned I'd be 10 years older but everybody else here would be 80 years older. Now, do you realize the ramifications of that? Also recent medical studies have shown that time zone transference, A.K.A. jet lag, not only can be very upsetting to one's metabolism, but also directly correlates to the loss of hair follicles. You should also never expect to find a cache in a few minutes. Recent research into the Revolutionary War indicates that the defenders of this area were not called Minutemen after all. No, they were actually called Mi-nute-men, a lot of them under three feet tall. As a matter of fact, way back in history people were shorter. Take for example, the Knights of the Round Table. Genuine midgets. But they wore uniforms. It's a well documented fact that the female of the species is irresistibly drawn to men in uniform... such as mailmen.. :lol:

Is seems the system and people running it are not perfect. I didn't expect it to be. I was a government worker for years....I thought there was an accepted answer or mode of solution for this matter.

But Arnold Ziffel.. . Arnold was a pig, but he was treated as the son of Fred and Doris Ziffel. Arnold could do pretty much anything he wanted. He was very talented. He could write his name, change the channels on the television, and play the piano. Arnold also attended school, carrying his lunchbox in his mouth, where he often played practical jokes on the other students. He also fell in love with Mr. Haney's prized bassett hound "Cynthia", but in a scene full of pig grunts and dog barks, subtitles explained that they were realizing that their love could never be. Mr. Haney threatens to sue Mr. Douglas because Arnold has ruined Cynthia for show as she has begun to grunt like a pig too.

One story line had him inheriting millions of dollars as the sole descendant of the favorite pig of a pork-packing magnate, distinguished by his ability to predict the weather with his tail.

It was a joke.

Besides, you felt that you knew me well enough earlier to imply that my posts to you were condescending, didn't you? ;) No offense intended, nore taken.

You have to realize that the system is not perfect, nor can it ever be. If you try to contact someone, and there is no response, just let it go and post a note on the page indicating what occurred.

A single DNF may sometimes cause a cacher to have a string of more DNFs because they unknowingly start their own behaviour patterns of expectations. Put a watch on the questionable caches and if there is a find, go out the next day and look. Eventually you may figure it out, but don't try to methodically clear the area and expect no issues. Every cache is a mystery until you find it.

Remember, it is the information age. We can receive up to minute stock prices, medical breakthroughs, political upheavals from all around the globe, of course we'd have to turn off the cartoons first. You know, in the future telephones will be obsolete, see people will communicate telekinetically using part of their brain known as the cerebral cortex that is heretofore untapped. You can do what I do, it's Prehensile Isometric Geometrics, it's muscle tension under constant contraction. See The beauty of it is you can do it anytime, anywhere but you don't perspire. With the recent strides in genetic engineering, I mean, we'll soon be faced with the possibility of producing enormous farm animals to feed the hungry millions. Now imagine one cow to feed an entire city, one egg making an omelette for an entire family. Yeah, I mean with the advances we're making today, the future is unlimited.

Sometimes it doesn't seem fair that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that go to bed stupid every night. Sometime caching is like snipe hunting. A snipe hunt is an age old custom wherein we take an uninitiated hunter, put him in a clearing with a gunny sack and the rest of us go into the bush to beat out the snipe to him. While the guy's out there with a gunny sack, we go off, have a nice dinner and some beers. Some cachers are like Wile E. Coyote. It's not that Wile E. Coyote wants to eat necessarily or that he wants to eat a roadrunner. What he wants is to eat that particular roadrunner. It's very existential. You can also think of caching as a complex activity like billards. After all the game of billiards was invented by the ancient Venetians, and it gained popularity after a group of Benedictine Monks invented felt. Using GPS units may attract negative attention also. You know there's been recent sightings of human beings being shot up into the underbelly of alien spacecraft. You know, and speaking of the Bermuda Triangle, it's not technically a triangle. It's actually a trapazeedarhomboid, perfect for attracting Martian spacecraft. You know, if I took a ride in a spaceship at the speed of light for 10 years, when I returned I'd be 10 years older but everybody else here would be 80 years older. Now, do you realize the ramifications of that? Also recent medical studies have shown that time zone transference, A.K.A. jet lag, not only can be very upsetting to one's metabolism, but also directly correlates to the loss of hair follicles. You should also never expect to find a cache in a few minutes. Recent research into the Revolutionary War indicates that the defenders of this area were not called Minutemen after all. No, they were actually called Mi-nute-men, a lot of them under three feet tall. As a matter of fact, way back in history people were shorter. Take for example, the Knights of the Round Table. Genuine midgets. But they wore uniforms. It's a well documented fact that the female of the species is irresistibly drawn to men in uniform... such as mailmen.. :lol:

Is seems the system and people running it are not perfect. I didn't expect it to be. I was a government worker for years....I thought there was an accepted answer or mode of solution for this matter.

But Arnold Ziffel.. . Arnold was a pig, but he was treated as the son of Fred and Doris Ziffel. Arnold could do pretty much anything he wanted. He was very talented. He could write his name, change the channels on the television, and play the piano. Arnold also attended school, carrying his lunchbox in his mouth, where he often played practical jokes on the other students. He also fell in love with Mr. Haney's prized bassett hound "Cynthia", but in a scene full of pig grunts and dog barks, subtitles explained that they were realizing that their love could never be. Mr. Haney threatens to sue Mr. Douglas because Arnold has ruined Cynthia for show as she has begun to grunt like a pig too.

One story line had him inheriting millions of dollars as the sole descendant of the favorite pig of a pork-packing magnate, distinguished by his ability to predict the weather with his tail.

You know the smartest animal is the pig. I happen to be a swine buff, you see, your porcine mammal is known for his superior intelligence. Your average oinker, scientists say; if a pig had thumbs and a language it could be trained to do simple manual labor. They'd be part of the workforce and they'd give you 20, 30 years of loyal service, then at the retirement dinner you could eat them.

This thread's strange content makes one think of this old saying,

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." --Al Gore, Vice President (DUH, nice going VP !)

You know the smartest animal is the pig. I happen to be a swine buff, you see, your porcine mammal is known for his superior intelligence. Your average oinker, scientists say; if a pig had thumbs and a language it could be trained to do simple manual labor. They'd be part of the workforce and they'd give you 20, 30 years of loyal service, then at the retirement dinner you could eat them.

Edited by calgriz

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." --Al Gore, Vice President (DUH, nice going VP !)

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

Attributed to George W. Bush, Jr.

Verdict: Spoken by Dan Quayle Source another source and yet another source

OK, so now, I really, truely do have The Last Word. Must be my huge ego.

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

Judging by your incessant confrontational posts elsewere and this example, You have a new name, 'Cliff Claven Jr.'

Envy shoots at others and wounds himself.

Edited by calgriz

Oh, my! How am I ever going to live this down!!??!! Cliff Claven? (wait... let me Google that name. I know it sounds familiar. A 1980/90's sitcom, right?)

Al Gore did not make that statement. (seriously, I even doubt that Dan Quayle did, but anyway...) I think that you watched the wrong TV shows during the 80s/90's. :lol:

Come on... sit down and have a beer with me, for Pete's sake! I'm no more harmful than Cliff Claven, who he was.

Edited by knowschad

It was a joke.

Besides, you felt that you knew me well enough earlier to imply that my posts to you were condescending, didn't you? :lol: No offense intended, nore taken.

Sorry, but there's only one attitude I see being shown here, and it's not by knowschad. You got a mad on, and don't seem to have the maturity to get over it, and have become downrght rude! Others have been trying to calm you by their help, and I am wondering why they have bothered.

Sadly, I have to agree.

BTW, it's a two way street. GC1Y3GD. You DNF'ed my cache, and emailed me asking for a clue. I reset it the next day, emailed you back and practically led you to the cache. For my efforts, I got a "THTC...". That's kind of like tipping the waiter a penny for bad service.

<snipped>

To keep this balanced. You do have a valid issue with the Cricket and Balboa Lake caches. Both of the cache owners have dropped out of the game, but have both have also tried to make an effort to monitor their caches. In the past, they have been rather quick to archive a missing, or problem cache. This seems to have changed over the last few months. I can guarantee you that neither would be offended if you took the next logical step and posted a Needs Archived log on those two caches.

I love how I am responsible to know these things when I am a newbie here, and if I don't I am impolitely berated on these matters.

BUT, it's nice to have fans.

BTW: I nicely emailed the DNF C.O. to look into it. It turned out the GC be not at GZ and in several pieces spread out over the landscape.

**"Hi there. I checked on 'it' and found it spread out in the field. I put it back together and placed it "back".**

I guess I was right all along....

Oh, my! How am I ever going to live this down!!??!! Cliff Claven? (wait... let me Google that name. I know it sounds familiar. A 1980/90's sitcom, right?)

Al Gore did not make that statement. (seriously, I even doubt that Dan Quayle did, but anyway...) I think that you watched the wrong TV shows during the 80s/90's. :lol:

Come on... sit down and have a beer with me, for Pete's sake! I'm no more harmful than Cliff Claven, who he was.

LOL....Irony is lost on the oblivious and dimwitted.

To keep this balanced. You do have a valid issue with the Cricket and Balboa Lake caches. Both of the cache owners have dropped out of the game, but have both have also tried to make an effort to monitor their caches. In the past, they have been rather quick to archive a missing, or problem cache. This seems to have changed over the last few months. I can guarantee you that neither would be offended if you took the next logical step and posted a Needs Archived log on those two caches.

I love how I am responsible to know these things when I am a newbie here, and if I don't I am impolitely berated on these matters.

BUT, it's nice to have fans.

BTW: I nicely emailed the DNF C.O. to look into it. It turned out the GC be not at GZ and in several pieces spread out over the landscape.

**"Hi there. I checked on 'it' and found it spread out in the field. I put it back together and placed it "back".**

I guess I was right all along....

As a "newbie", I did not expect you to know of those things. It is the reason why I took the time to explain it to you.

As far as my cache. You did not email me and ask me to check on it. You emailed me and asked for a hint. Your DNF alerted me to a possible problem. I checked on it the next day and did not find it "spread out all over the landscape", I found it in three pieces within a ten foot radius of Ground Zero. That is a ten foot radius at a location that has a seventeen foot error rating. The entire cache was well within the margin of error. Of course, I could see the log sheet from thirty feet away. Why couldn't you?

Also, it was real classy to take my comments, put them out of context and post them into another discussion, one that has nothing to do with this discussion.

You came here complaining about people that do not maintain their caches, yet when you run into a situation where someone repairs a cache, less then 24 hours after your DNF, and also responds to your additional hint request, you simply grab your smiley and go on, with no acknowledgment of the efforts that were made so you could log that smiley. I thought that that was ironic considering your original complaint, and this was what I was addressing with my comments.

And for the record, I was not complaining. I was simply stating facts.

Also, Calgriz,

I just realized that you posted part of my private email to you, to the forum. That is considered to be the ultimate no-no.

:angry:

Of course, I will never present to you the opportunity to do it again.

No. BUT, YOU brought up my private email content on this thread to begin with first, many pages ago. I said nothing. Possibly to try to discredit me. You left a purposeful false content impression by your omission of the correspondence true facts that showed I was still right on this issue. Even still, I edited content matters more that you did, to protect matters. A courtesy you didn't afford me from the start. By this posting, you 'outed' yourself. And that's not my problem.

Got that irony?

Why have you purposely made this about me and not the AWOL CO issue that I started all those postings ago? How's those 144 GCs of yours doing? I'm impressed. I wonder though, are they all well maitained according to the GC rules? One 'park and pull' wasn't that was in question.

People in glass houses should not throw...well you know the rest. But let's not make this about people, just about the AWOL COs issue as it effects GCers doing their fun. OK?

I talk about nonpersonal topic & issues, trolls take this first to talk about people. It was YOU and others here that made this about people/messenger, not the non-personal topics I asked. I was always talking about missing/un-maitained GCs till some here decided to lower the bar. At that point, I was setting the facts straight in my own defense.

Edited by calgriz

Judging by your incessant confrontational posts elsewere and this example, You have a new name, 'Cliff Claven Jr.'

I am offended at the attack of a modern day hero.

cliff_claven.jpg

I am offended at the attack of a modern day hero.

cliff_claven.jpg

...jeez, where to even begin on this one....we used to have real heros like....

Medal-of-Honor-9-17-09.jpg

Edited by calgriz

Back ON TOPIC,

For those keeping score-

"Stowed with rabbits":

The cache owner has not been active since October 24, 2008, found exactly 1 cache, and has hidden 2. Has 3 DNFs, one in August, and two in November. It is a 1 difficulty. And the last one to claim a find, said, "I am pretty sure I was really close as I found some spilled swag."

THis GC has just been temp disabled.

I am still Internet watching and waiting for the TWO other GC mentioned.....what fun, not.

Edited by calgriz

Back ON TOPIC,

For those keeping score-

"Stowed with rabbits":

The cache owner has not been active since October 24, 2008, found exactly 1 cache, and has hidden 2. Has 3 DNFs, one in August, and two in November. It is a 1 difficulty. And the last one to claim a find, said, "I am pretty sure I was really close as I found some spilled swag."

I am still Internet watching and waiting for the TWO other GC mentioned.....what fun, not.

"Stowed with rabbits" was archived by our reviewer, three days ago. This was a direct result of a "Needs Archived" log. Archived means that it will no longer show up on your maps, or search results.

Nothing will happen with the other two caches unless someone post a "Needs Archived" log to them, or something else happens to bring them to the reviewer's attention.

Back ON TOPIC,

For those keeping score-

"Stowed with rabbits":

"Stowed with rabbits" was archived by our reviewer, three days ago. This was a direct result of a "Needs Archived" log. Archived means that it will no longer show up on your maps, or search results.

Nothing will happen with the other two caches unless someone post a "Needs Archived" log to them, or something else happens to bring them to the reviewer's attention.

thanks...I am still waiting to hear back from other COers.

Edited by calgriz

Just thought I would toss in my 2¢.

I also just recently started caching and when I was at about 50 finds went through a sport where I had a number of DNFs (where the cache was actually gone) and just plain old leaky unmaintained crappy caches. It was kinda frustrating, and then I realized that these COs didn't have to put these caches out in the first place. I started looking at simple puzzles and multi's and found that the more interesting or elaborate the cache set up was, the more likely I was to find a well maintained cache at the end. In some cases, caches that were found to be so enjoyable that the local cachers took it upon themselves to maintain them long after the original CO left the game for other pursuits (The Binthair Geocache Challenge).

So before I completely digress and tell you my caching life story so far I'll leave you with 2 suggestions;

1 If the CO is gone from the game check your local caching boards and ask if it is some sort of local favourite. If it is not and it's in rough shape post the needs archived on the cache and volunteer to CITO the geotrash.

If the CO is still active, but ignores your request for maintenance IGNORE CACHES PLACED BY THAT CO.

2 Get involved with your local caching community. It will help you to find the caches that are truly worth finding and avoid the ones that are not.

I also just recently started caching and when I was at about 50 finds went through a sport where I had a number of DNFs (where the cache was actually gone) and just plain old leaky unmaintained crappy caches.

Thanks for the sound suggestion.

I have been networking with the good GCing folk in my area. they have been of help in some matters. On this question, I didn't go there. This site was easier to reference. After seeing all the unnecessary 'ego-bumping' that I unfortunately recieved by posting this thread topic, you can appreciate my resolve in this matter.

IMHO: GCers have to remember that for many folks the learning curve on these matters is steep. All I had was to pose a polite question here, because I saw this happening over and over with little explanation from lazy COers contacted or very little explanation about how the GC system worked dealing with in AWOL or lazy COers. I know there is alot of confusing GC ettiquette in this sensitive matters. (Yikes! Maybe too complicated.)

Even your worthy statement (also a statement I can attest to), "where I had a number of DNFs (where the cache was actually gone)" can be hottly debated as major GC hearsy by some here interested in being confrontational. Sometimes I think for some being a COer is too connected to their ego or they feel some need to be in control over such a thing. Maybe, this competative or combative high 'GC numbers' thing has too many egos in it's grip.

No me.

It's about the experience and not the result or "high numbers". GCs are put out to be found, otherwise it's people just littering the environment with trash for their own ego sake. A shame then. I viewed things differently, GCs are put out for the players and the hobby's sake. But, then, I am a fisherman too and I have never stopped fishing or EVER had a bad fishing trip because I came home with no fish.

Edited by calgriz

I also just recently started caching and when I was at about 50 finds went through a sport where I had a number of DNFs (where the cache was actually gone) and just plain old leaky unmaintained crappy caches.

I have been networking with the good GCing folk in my area. they have been of help in some matters. On this question, I didn't go there. This site was easier to reference. After seeing all the unnecessary 'ego-bumping' that I unfortunately recieved by posting this thread topic, you can appreciate my resolve in this matter.

IMHO: GCers have to remember that for many folks the learning curve on these matters is steep. All I had was to pose a polite question here, because I saw this happening over and over with little explanation from lazy COers contacted or very little explanation about how the GC system worked dealing with in AWOL or lazy COers. I know there is alot of confusing GC ettiquette in this sensitive matters. (Yikes! Maybe too complicated.)

Even your worthy statement (also a statement I can attest to), "where I had a number of DNFs (where the cache was actually gone)" can be hottly debated as major GC hearsy by some here interested in being confrontational. Sometimes I think for some being a COer is too connected to their ego or they feel some need to be in control over such a thing. Maybe, this competative or combative high 'GC numbers' thing has too many egos in it's grip.

No me.

It's about the experience and not the result or "high numbers". GCs are put out to be found, otherwise it's people just littering the environment with trash for their own ego sake. A shame then. I viewed things differently, GCs are put out for the players and the hobby's sake. But, then, I am a fisherman too and I have never stopped fishing or EVER had a bad fishing trip because I came home with no fish.

How, specifically, would you improve the current situation?

[edited to remove pot-stirring language]

Edited by knowschad

Al Gore did not make that statement. (seriously, I even doubt that Dan Quayle did, but anyway...) I think that you watched the wrong TV shows during the 80s/90's. :)

Come on... sit down and have a beer with me, for Pete's sake!

That's exactly that kind of thing that Cliff Claven would say!

Al Gore did not make that statement. (seriously, I even doubt that Dan Quayle did, but anyway...) I think that you watched the wrong TV shows during the 80s/90's. :)

Come on... sit down and have a beer with me, for Pete's sake!

That's exactly that kind of thing that Cliff Claven would say!

thanx...Some people who talk the most here, know the least.

No me.

How, specifically, would you improve the current situation?

[edited to remove pot-stirring language]

I stop GCing and go fishing. That's better fun and you get to eat the prize.

Edited by calgriz

Back ON TOPIC,

For those keeping score-

"Stowed with rabbits":

I think you've made an important discovery- trying to take care of other people's caches is not fun.

Your time would be better spent ignoring the cache and moving on. There are plenty of other caches to find.

Back ON TOPIC,

For those keeping score-

"Stowed with rabbits":

I think you've made an important discovery- trying to take care of other people's caches is not fun.

Your time would be better spent ignoring the cache and moving on. There are plenty of other caches to find.

OK, But that wasn't my point.

My point got 'spun' by people's personal agendas and the manner of of that was crass, rude and not funny to experience. Now, I know why people NEVER post here when in a quandry. It's not worth it. I'll 'wing it' myself from now on and save myself the 'antler/ego bumping' from others.

Edited by calgriz

Look, Calgriz... all I was ever trying to do in the first place was to get some specific information from you that you had neglected to provide, so that I/we could offer better advice. I was not being snarky... at least three people (people that are not regulars here) posted that they disagreed with you in that regard. You took offense, for sure, but no offense was ever intended on my part. I never went off topic with my questions, and even took the time to post links to the caches you referenced and to look at those caches and provide an opinion of all three, and took the time and trouble to post a screen shot of how you could use GSAK to filter out possible missing caches. And all I got for my time was your unwarranted anger.

I have even been laughing off those "Cliff Claven" remarks, even though some of them could easily be construed as personal insults and forum violations. I'm frankly surprised that no moderator has said anything about them to this point.

I don't know if it was your intentions, but even your initial post to this thread came across (to me, at least) as hostile and combative, indicating in italics and bold font that there was something broken with the system.

What I meant in my above post about "what would you do to fix the problem?" was referring to your stated problem of AWOL cache owners.

Look, Calgriz... all I was ever trying to do in the first place was to get some specific information from you that you had neglected to provide, so that I/we could offer better advice. I was not being snarky... at least three people (people that are not regulars here) posted that they disagreed with you in that regard. You took offense, for sure, but no offense was ever intended on my part. I never went off topic with my questions, and even took the time to post links to the caches you referenced and to look at those caches and provide an opinion of all three, and took the time and trouble to post a screen shot of how you could use GSAK to filter out possible missing caches. And all I got for my time was your unwarranted anger.

I have even been laughing off those "Cliff Claven" remarks, even though some of them could easily be construed as personal insults and forum violations. I'm frankly surprised that no moderator has said anything about them to this point.

I don't know if it was your intentions, but even your initial post to this thread came across (to me, at least) as hostile and combative, indicating in italics and bold font that there was something broken with the system.

What I meant in my above post about "what would you do to fix the problem?" was referring to your stated problem of AWOL cache owners.

Ah, yes......you are the victim here? .....I'm so over this. Bother someone else, please.

Ah HA! You know who your posting style reminds me of?

viciousnewman.jpgNewman.jpg

Hello, Newman....

:huh:

Relax, there is nothing wrong with the Cliff remarks. Whan can you do? Sue him for defecation of character?

Perhaps you two ought to go out, have a few beers and muggle a few poorly maintained keyholders on federal mailboxes... :(

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Too many replies to read them all so here is my view. Of course I get grief from locals. But it does state in the guidelines it is the owners responsibility to maintain their caches. Of course sometimes there is a caretaker or replacement angel. What I do is: Before I visit a cache I check for DNFs. Then I check to see why cachers are not finding them such as, not enough time to search, too dark, newbies, coords are off or part of the cache located or missing (with knowledge from a previous finder or owner) If the latter ones then that case I try to send a message to the owner requesting confirmation of cache. Some cachers get so much email they don't always read them. Also it depends on difficulty rating, I may ask for a hint as a owner I sometimes just tell them where it is. What I hate is long hikes on caches that have a list of DNFs only to find out it is missing. Some COs write a note saying they will replace or fix it instead of disabling it. I only do that if I suspect it is still there. I had many end up being found just before going out to check them.

If I don't get a response then I post a NM whether they are active or not. Then after like a month if no response then I do a NA. I have gotten grief from other cachers but what I say is "can't find a cache if it isn't there" I do think it rude and uncalled for to have cachers leaving notes on cache pages about cachers who leave legitimate maintenance or archive requests. If you have a problem write to them directly. Cache logs shouldn't be treated like a forum. Notes about the caches themselves should be left up to the discretion of the cache owner and be deleted if they chose.

Edited by jellis

QUOTE:

Ah HA! You know who your posting style reminds me of?

Hello, Newman....

:huh:

Relax, there is nothing wrong with the Cliff remarks. Whan can you do? Sue him for defecation of character?

Perhaps you two ought to go out, have a few beers and muggle a few poorly maintained keyholders on federal mailboxes... :(

UNQUOTE

Just MORE lowering the bar on intelligent discussion of impersonal topics on this thread.

Yawningkid2.jpg

Edited by calgriz

Enough is enough. Let's get back to the issue.

thanks, amen.

Uhhhhl.... I think he was speaking to you, as well, if not exclusively.

I'm still wondering what you would propose that the site do about the AWOL cache owner problem that started this whole thread. That is a fair question, asked with no attitude or personal agenda, and about as on topic as it gets.

Your original questions were:

Yes.

*Is it better to post a GC maitenance note on it's online public log or to email the GC owner person to person with this matter?

If the owner appears to be active, email the owner first is a good idea, but you can post a NM log in either case.

Those are in the guidelines, but in essense, it is the owner's responsibility, although responsible finders sometimes help out, as I posted recently (in more detail) in another thread that I know you are following.

You can't, aside from the above mentioned options.

Yes, as stated in the guidelines.

Your Good Buddy,

Cliff

[edited for formatting only]

Edited by knowschad

You have a very bad record on these thread matters. I don't suppose some of you 'Dogpile On a Person' people might want to grow up and leave a person, alone. Now you are just repeating matters Ad Nasuem. Stop showing us your passive aggressive rudeness. How old are you guys? Five?

Once again, some are staggering under the weight of their own self-importance. I'm so over this.

Bother someone else.

thanks, amen.

I'm still wondering what you would propose that the site do about the AWOL cache owner problem that started this whole thread. That is a fair question, asked with no attitude or personal agenda, and about as on topic as it gets.

Yes.

If the owner appears to be active, email the owner first is a good idea, but you can post a NM log in either case.

Those are in the guidelines, but in essense, it is the owner's responsibility, although responsible finders sometimes help out, as I posted recently (in more detail) in another thread that I know you are following.

Your Good Buddy,

Cliff

Edited by calgriz
You have a very bad record on these thread matters. I don't suppose some of you 'Dogpile On a Person' people might want to grow up and leave a person, alone. Now you are just repeating matters Ad Nasuem. Stop showing us your passive aggressive rudeness. How old are you guys? Five?

Once again, some are staggering under the weight of their own self-importance. I'm so over this.

Bother someone else.

thanks, amen.

Yes.

Your Good Buddy,

Cliff

No... I do not have a bad record as you suggest. For reasons I do not understand, you apparently took a disliking to me very early on, and you have not been able to shake it, no matter how I respond to you. I have not attacked you as a person, please do not attack me as such. I have shown no "passive-agressive rudeness", or any of the other traits that you have attributed to me. I have done nothing but ask you some questions and attempted to post a few answers.

Let me try asking you again... how do you propose this issue of AWOL cache ownership should be dealt with? Its a simple question.