Cache Names, and Container Opinion wanted.

Cowboy Camper

OK, I have a couple of questions about hiding a Cache of my very own. But first, I want opinions about how well this container I have in mind might work.

2417188150100500874S425x425Q85.jpg

It's one of those containers that you can put out on your yard sign to sell your house. It seems pretty weather resistant, easy to open and close, and it also has a way that I could tether it up into a tree or a bush if I wanted to hide it in that way. Of course, I might (most likely) paint it up to be camouflaged rather than just hiding this one as is in this pic.

So there's my first question: Has anyone had any good luck using a container like this?

Second Question: Assuming a good response to my first question, I'd like to ask for opinions/ideas regarding what to Name this Cache if I do decide to go for an official Hide of my own. How do folks come up with the neat ideas for the cache names?

I restored an archived cache and came up with the name 'Archival Revival" and thought that was fairly clever. I'd like to come up with a name equally as clever if I do go ahead and hide this one myself. I have some dim ideas in mind for a name, but nothing that I am happy enough with yet to start to talk about. So... I'm asking you folks for some ideas for the name of the cache.

Loosely thinking, maybe something like "market value"? Reflecting the container's original purpose is what I've in mind with that name.

Well, there you have it. It's an idea I have in mind, and I'm looking for opinions and ideas to go with it. If I choose to go with my own ideas without asking, I'd place this container with the "Market Value" name.

But I figured that I'd also ask for some Opinions first. Realizing that I'm a newbie when it comes to hosting a new hide, I also was looking for any advice/suggestions.

So.... What say you? I'm Open to ideas at this point. :laughing:

Tube containers - especially when camo'd - should never be placed anywhere near civilization as they can tend to create "issues".

Also - I doubt those containres are very water resistant. You can test by placing some tissue paper in it and placing in a sink with a steady drip of water for several hours. If the tissue stays dry - you might be ok.

Tube containers - especially when camo'd - should never be placed anywhere near civilization as they can tend to create "issues".

Also - I doubt those containres are very water resistant. You can test by placing some tissue paper in it and placing in a sink with a steady drip of water for several hours. If the tissue stays dry - you might be ok.

Building on StarBrands answers.

In your own hard you can cammo the snot out of it. Outside your yard I'd leave it as it is and use camo that relates to it's purpose. Maybe by haing a flyer (glued to the inside so you can't get it out, that offers to sell the park, business whatever for some super high price. OR hide it so it won't be found by muggles in which case the camo doesn't matter so much.

The container itself lets water in. Any kind of real paper will become damp. Howver a smaller container inside the larger container would be protected enough by this container to remain dry.

Overall, if I couldn't use the theme that comes wiht the container like you are thinking, I'd recycle the container and move on to another idea.

Again, I will build what other have said:

I have thought about a container like that but I also had concerns about it's water resistance.

IMHO, Painting the container would be a shame. If you have a front yard you could just put the tube on a post and meet local geocachers when they come for the find. Urban camo in plain sight sort of deal. It's also fun to find these clever types of caches.

If you do paint it: DO NOT PUT IT IN AN URBAN AREA!!! Your cache will get discovered by some hysterical type and the bomb squad WILL get called. Put it out in the woods.

Thanks folks for the replies so far. I'm debating now whether or not this one will be weather proof enough or not. (leaning toward maybe not.) But all is not lost. There are suggestions to make it work.

Most Notably, I want to make clear. If I go with this container, it will be Out in the Woods! I looked into making some small/Micro containers out of pipe fittings and caps. No good IMHO. Albeit small, they just looked like little pipe bombs. That is NOT the look I want to go for at all. Even in the woods, I just don't think that type of container will go over very well.

So.... Thanks for the replies, and I'm still thinking it over.

IMHO, Painting the container would be a shame. If you have a front yard you could just put the tube on a post and meet local geocachers when they come for the find. Urban camo in plain sight sort of deal. It's also fun to find these clever types of caches.

Now THIS is a pretty good and interesting idea!

There would certainly be some logistical things to consider to make it work for me, but I like the idea of the Urban camo plan. I'd love to meet the fellow local cachers too, but I don't know how I could make it work with my day to day schedule being what it is.

Still. Something to think about. Thanks for the post. :signalviolin:

OK, Topic re visited and considered some more. Newer ideas have since come into and out of the process of thinking for me. First off, the Info Tube is OUT. No longer an idea worth trying. It just won't be good enough in the open.

Next up: An old Military First Aid Kit box that I've had for 20 + years. I don't recall what war this one came from, but I remember that my grandfather gave it to me years ago. (25 years ago, at least....) It could be from the Korean War, Vietnam, or maybe even from one of the World Wars, I honestly do not know. Anyhow, here's some Pics of that Container Idea.

2817008530100500874S425x425Q85.jpg2342248180100500874S425x425Q85.jpg

I think this would be an Excellent Cache container, but I'm now being told that this one would be Stolen rather quickly. It's an Antique, or so I've been told. Seeing as how I got this from Grandpa (and I'll NEVER be able to replace it ~ he died in 1987) I'm NOT going to ever take that risk either.

Finally, there are the Ammo Cans that are out there for 10 bucks or less. Used, and bought at a Surplus Store. No Family ties involved with this one. Here's a couple of Pics.

2773733870100500874S425x425Q85.jpg2759541330100500874S425x425Q85.jpg

And the new containers have much more room in them compared to the old First Aid Boxes!

Look here....

2746236140100500874S425x425Q85.jpg

And the old Military Box fit's Inside the new box.

FWIW. I hope y'all like the new ideas so far.

I water tested my first aid box at work. That's when the boss told me that it would be stolen if I hid it out as a cache. Now, I think the cachers in my area are good and honest folks.... but thinking about the fact that my grandpa gave me that years ago makes me think twice about setting it out there somewhere.

I do, however, have a couple similar containers that I think are as equally water tight. They are first aid boxes from School Buses that I had once upon a time and they're plain white in color. Nothing a little paint can't fix.... if I can find those boxes again. :)

For Small/Micro Containers, a friend at the Geocache Site gave me this idea.

2975764700100500874S200x200Q85.jpg

And here's a link to where you can find them online. Small-Micro Containers

I've found 2 or 3 of these from that friend and found them to be really cool to find where he has hidden them. When I emailed and asked about them, he was kind enough to give me that link.

Incidentally, that same friend also steered me into the right direction so that I can get those Ammo Cans. :laughing:

Defiantly don't use the for-sale tubes. They get wet even from moisture.

Those ammo cans are neat and fun to find. One of the best and scariest finds I did at night lead us to a ammo box!

Go hide that puppy. For my first hide, which I did last week, I named it after what my cache was hidden by, just like others say they have done.