How to delete caches in a PQ from your GSAK database

Knight2000

Does anyone know how? I created a database to load caches for a trip in my Oregon. Of course it exceeded 2000 so I need to trim it down. Without reloading every single PQ and then editing it as I'd like, is there a way to do this?

I would like to delete all caches from my database loaded from a specific PQ.

I could ask on GSAK but I am pressed for time. Thanks for any replies.

-Curse you Garmin.

Does anyone know how? I created a database to load caches for a trip in my Oregon. Of course it exceeded 2000 so I need to trim it down. Without reloading every single PQ and then editing it as I'd like, is there a way to do this?

I would like to delete all caches from my database loaded from a specific PQ.

I could ask on GSAK but I am pressed for time. Thanks for any replies.

-Curse you Garmin.

Are they all from the same date?

Did you load puzzles? Multi's?

Do you use mapsource after you clean them up in gsak?

If so, then just dump all 2000 into mapsource. Select the ones you want deleted, and delete them.

I'm guessing you want only the ones along your route, or in a particular town.

Once you get down to less than 1000, load them up into the gps.

Using gsak?...... well.... You are gonna have to filter by something.... either date, or center by a cache, or filter by type, or difficulty, or terrain.

There are too many options to choose from without knowing your specifics.

You can also re-load the pq you want into gsak. and click the delete everything else choice, while loading it.

I do not have mapsource. Garmin told me that I cannot use it because I did not buy the CD and the map is on my unit preloaded.

The point is moot now as GSAK crashed and when it reloaded it did not have all of my recent sorting. Oh well. :signalviolin:

It will be interesting to see if there is a solution to my question. If there isn't than I think that is a reasonable upgrade.

Edited by Knight2000

GSAK does not track the source of the information that you add to an existing database. There are various date fields (such as the "source date" of the .gpx) that might be useful for this purpose. But they might not be unique, depending on what else you did on the same date.

The easiest thing I can think of is to import the PQ again. This time, check "Set user flag" and "If matched, ONLY update user flag." Now filter on user flag and delete all waypoints in the filter.

In any case, why not just "trim things down" by creating a filter in GSAK to do what you want. Then use the filtered results to load your unit?

Edited to add: Be sure the clear all the user flags first. And it never hurts to either let GSAK back up your databases or make/use a copy before doing something like this.

Edited by twolpert

While in GASK. Highlight the waypoint (Cache) you want to delete, right click your mouse a menu will pop up, select DELETE WAYPOINT ( its about the 6th choice down on the list) In the pop up box that appears select this waypoint only and click OK.

I have 400 I need to delete and I'm not sure where the caches are that would best be deleted.

GSAK does not track the source of the information that you add to an existing database. There are various date fields (such as the "source date" of the .gpx) that might be useful for this purpose. But they might not be unique, depending on what else you did on the same date.

The easiest thing I can think of is to import the PQ again. This time, check "Set user flag" and "If matched, ONLY update user flag." Now filter on user flag and delete all waypoints in the filter.

That sounds like the answer! GSAK was able to save the database, or at least part of it I think. I'll try it. Thanks!

In any case, why not just "trim things down" by creating a filter in GSAK to do what you want. Then use the filtered results to load your unit?

Edited to add: Be sure the clear all the user flags first. And it never hurts to either let GSAK back up your databases or make/use a copy before doing something like this.

A reasonable thought but it is caches along a route and caches in a couple towns we will be. They are all over the place.

Is the data on a laptop that you are taking with you? If so there is a function to center on the GPS and upload the nearest 2000 caches.

Then when you get down the road a piece load up and do it again.

But the absolute best way to do this is to create a route on the Geocaching website and then create a pocket query from this. Don't even need GSAK

Keep in mind...you don't have to load an entire database onto your GPS. Mark the records with a user flag and then set a filter for records which have the user flag set and export them.

Or, create a route filter in GSAK to filter the data you already have loaded...set a radius along that route and only load geocaches near your route.

There is more than one way to do this without having to delete an entire PQ of data.

Is the data on a laptop that you are taking with you? If so there is a function to center on the GPS and upload the nearest 2000 caches.

Then when you get down the road a piece load up and do it again.

But the absolute best way to do this is to create a route on the Geocaching website and then create a pocket query from this. Don't even need GSAK

I don't want to have the get a laptop out during my trip.

It is not just a route. It is a route (partially in a circle) and two cities are included. I am using GSAK to delete an recent DNF's and some other alterations. I am also combining enough queries that would be over 2000 caches.

There is more than one way to do this without having to delete an entire PQ of data.

I can't imagine a way besides the way mentioned before. I am trying to load caches along a route from Ohio to Etch- o-sketch :(, to Kennedy Space Center, to Disney. Including Celebration and Orlando. Maybe I can skip the section between Daytona Beach and Kennedy SC.

I can't imagine a way besides the way mentioned before. I am trying to load caches along a route from Ohio to Etch- o-sketch :(, to Kennedy Space Center, to Disney. Including Celebration and Orlando. Maybe I can skip the section between Daytona Beach and Kennedy SC.

I keep my data in GSAK two ways:

1. each PQ is loaded into its own database

2. all PQs are combined into one database

I usually have a handful (about 50-100) of caches from each PQ that I keep loaded so I've got something to find just about anywhere I go. These include the easy P&G caches, puzzles I've solved, all Virtuals and they're mostly less than 4 diff, less than 3 terr. That will keep me busy for an hour just about anywhere within a 100 mile radius of home. I load each PQ on my Colorado as its own GPX file (e.g. Daytona, Titusville, Jacksonville, etc) so I can quickly remove an area I won't be traveling to if I need to make room FAST!

However, when I'm planning a BIG geocaching trip, I back up all the standard GPX files to reload later...then I go to the combined database (over 8,000 records right now) and plan a route from home to my destination, flag all the caches along that route (e.g. 1/4 mile), then I go to my destination and either flag another local route or everything within a given radius, then I unflag everything which has the last two logs as DNF (to avoid wasting time on something that might be missing) and unflag any puzzles I haven't solved or can't be solve on-site (again, why waste space on something I'm NOT going to look for). If that number still exceeds 2,000 then you'll need to adjust your selection criteria (e.g. set a limit on diff/terr).

Then load 'em up!

If you have a couple of SD cards handy, load different areas on two different cards and swap them out...one for the route from OH to FL, the other for the stuff near all the attractions in Florida.

I don't have to micro-sd cards available. I am going to drop the Orlando PQ as I will be closer to Celebration the majority of the time. The only one I may do in Orlando is the fear factor cache. (I'm wondering how long it will take. Any idea?)

Someone posted a solution on the GSAK forums. I will try it tout tomorrow when I get back to my other PC. I'll report here.

I don't have to micro-sd cards available. I am going to drop the Orlando PQ as I will be closer to Celebration the majority of the time. The only one I may do in Orlando is the fear factor cache. (I'm wondering how long it will take. Any idea?)

Someone posted a solution on the GSAK forums. I will try it tout tomorrow when I get back to my other PC. I'll report here.

My solution:

fist I filter out archived and/or unavailable for a quick review in GSAK. Then, in the toolbar at top clich waypoints, thrid item in the drop down is delete waypoints, second box from left is "delete all in filter". Done. Also, if you wish, don't forget the box to prevent these from coming back in. If this doesn't delite anough, next option is using a distance or direction filter.

If you still have the specific PQ, twolpert gave you the perfect solution.

I did acknowledge that in an earlier post. It didn't slip by. I just hadn't tried it. I would have this morning except the below info came through.

---------

This was the answer from Big Wolf on the GSAK forums. I tried it and it worked.

You delete all caches from your database that are in a specific PQ so long as you still have the PQ.

To start with back up the database in case it goes wrong then:

1) clear all the user flags

2) import the PQ again but change the User Flag option so that set user flag is set and also tick update only if matched

3) select the filter User Flag [GSAK Default]

4) right click on one of the caches and select delete waypoints....

5) select all waypoints in filter.

Thats should be it done but if there any issues then you can just restore the database from the backup.