How do I ensure that a future purchase of a Garmin 60CSX uses SIRF chipset?

So I just read about new Garmin 60CSX using a Mediatek chipset which is kind of alarming to me. I'm thinking about purchasing a second Garmin 60CSX in the very near future. How do I ensure that my future unit is using a SIRF chipset instead of a Mediatek chipset?

Also, how do I verify that my existing 60CSX is using a SIRF chipset? My current unit was bought in April 2008.

As far as I know, the Vista HCX already uses this chipset you´re talking about (correct me if I´m wrong). My girlfriend just recently got one of those, and in comparision to my 60csx the Vista has far better overall reception and signal strength.

The Vista even works perfectly indoors, while the 60csx doesn´t (not that I need it indoors, it just shows me how different the receivers are). Don´t get me wrong, I´m not going to trade my 60csx for a Vista anytime soon, but I still would love a device with the handling and durability of the 60csx combined with the Vista´s receiver chipset. It seems like you wouldn´t though.. is there an issue with this chipset I´m not aware of?

As far as I know, the Vista HCX already uses this chipset you´re talking about (correct me if I´m wrong). My girlfriend just recently got one of those, and in comparision to my 60csx the Vista has far better overall reception and signal strength.

The Vista even works perfectly indoors, while the 60csx doesn´t (not that I need it indoors, it just shows me how different the receivers are). Don´t get me wrong, I´m not going to trade my 60csx for a Vista anytime soon, but I still would love a device with the handling and durability of the 60csx combined with the Vista´s receiver chipset. It seems like you wouldn´t though.. is there an issue with this chipset I´m not aware of?

Just the myth that if you use anything else you will be in the wrong state as no other chip can possibly be accurate.....

The new chips have all had updates and are fine, I cache with my nephew and he has a 60csx, I have a Colorado, there is no difference, we check all the time, 1 time im within 10ft and hes at 8ft, next one Im at 4ft and hes at 7ft, etc. under heavy cover you name it.

I took delivery of my 60CSx this past Sept. 22. It has the SIRF feature. When accquiring satellites it always fires up on 5 sats or more. Does not work at all in a metal building. Accuracy? 12'-15' consistently at GZ.

I'm a new guy and this is my first unit. I have much to learn but am very satisfied. The "Elders of the Tribe" here say it's an outstanding GPSr and that's good enough for me!

So I just read about new Garmin 60CSX using a Mediatek chipset which is kind of alarming to me. I'm thinking about purchasing a second Garmin 60CSX in the very near future. How do I ensure that my future unit is using a SIRF chipset instead of a Mediatek chipset?

Also, how do I verify that my existing 60CSX is using a SIRF chipset? My current unit was bought in April 2008.

Hi, you can check your units chipse by looking at firmware version. You can reach it through Setting -> System. Mediatek chipset should have "M" on the end of the version number.

I am looking for purchasing of 60CSx too. I am too a little bit afraid of Mediatek as SirfIII is still regarded as golden standard. But after reading few reviews on units having Mediatek my aversion seems to be diminishing.

60's great sensitivity is due to external helix antenna, not chipset alone. And some few reported Mediatek chipset bugs should be soon resolved with newer firmwares.

I think you can be confident that the Mediatek will perform every bit as well as the SirfIII. I have units with both chips, and the performance is the same. TTFF, sensitivity under tree cover and between buildings, sensitivity inside my house...it is all the same between both chips.

Don't sweat it. Go either way.

I was under the impression that Sirf is more selective, not more sensitive. To me a sensitive receiver picks up more signals, but it also picks up more noise. Sirf came up with better algorithms to select the signal out of the noise and others mfgs followed. I wish there was a more technical description of what Sirf did. Anyone?

I agree. The Sirf in the 60csx does, marginally deal with the magic multipath calculations better than the others. The Mediatek chip still suffers from the random "drift", which seems to be really a large calculation error loop. This started in a firmware around 2 years ago and has never been fixed.... It always self corrects with a reboot, so it is an obvious software bug that they don't seem in a rush to fix.

Edited by Red90