Search exceeded 500 caches, cannot display on map

applejohn

Does any one else wish that your hidden finds did not count on the map page. Can something be done to make it so?

The point is that even though I check those boxes and my finds no longer appear on the map, they still count toward the maximum 500 that can be displayed on a page. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO ZOOM OUT TOO A LARGER AREA AND SEE MORE OF MY UNFOUNDS ON THE MAP PAGE.

I didn't realize that they still counted in the 500.

Generally, what I do is take my GSAK file of unfound caches and dump it into MapPoint (or MS S&T). It allows me to view it easier without waiting for the google map to update every time I zoom in or out or pan the map.

Edited by sbell111

Does any one else wish that your hidden finds did not count on the map page. Can something be done to make it so?

The point is that even though I check those boxes and my finds no longer appear on the map, they still count toward the maximum 500 that can be displayed on a page. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO ZOOM OUT TOO A LARGER AREA AND SEE MORE OF MY UNFOUNDS ON THE MAP PAGE.

No need to yell.

Create a pocket query for the area you're looking in. (You don't have to tell it to run, just create the PQ.)Filter out your finds. Go back to the list of PQs and then click the "view on google map" icon right next to the "review" icon.

Likewise, if you are just looking for unfound caches centered on your home location, click the "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)" link on your "My Profile" page. Be sure you only click the "filter out finds" portion of the link. Then click the "View in Google Maps" link/icon.

I thought this same question was brought up a week or so ago and the response from TPTB was that this implementation (find the 500 first, then trim out hides/finds optionally) was to maximize performance.

(But to answer the question asked, "no", I don't use the maps in a way that this makes a difference to me.)

No need to yell.

Create a pocket query for the area you're looking in. (You don't have to tell it to run, just create the PQ.)Filter out your finds. Go back to the list of PQs and then click the "view on google map" icon right next to the "review" icon.

Likewise, if you are just looking for unfound caches centered on your home location, click the "Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds)" link on your "My Profile" page. Be sure you only click the "filter out finds" portion of the link. Then click the "View in Google Maps" link/icon.

I totally agree with applejohn that this would be good. For me, the most important thing about this is not to hide my founds and my caches, but to be able to zoom out to a larger area when you are searching for odd cache types and events (hiding traditional, multi and mystery, that also is counted in the 500 even if unticed).

And of course I also agree with Castle M that it can quite easily be done with PQ (run or not), but access directly from the gc.com map would be great.

Same here. I'd like to see the unchecked ones NOT included in the 500 total.

As far as Traditional caches, it doesnt really matter. Once you are zoomed out enough for the 500 thing to come into effect, the caches are so tightly packed together that you really can't do much with them. The best thing to do here is to go to the next highest zoom level, then start working your way around the area. You'll often notice that sometimes just moving the map an inch will place less than 500 on the screen. This is especially true if near an area which has an extremely dense area of caches. Place that area just off the edge & gradually work around it.

But sometimes, I like to look at an extremely large area for very specific caches.....say all Letterboxes. There's only 12 or 13 in this entire state. If I have every type of cache turned off except Letterboxes, then the LB's should be the ONLY type which counts toward that 500.

The Pocket Query option is a work-around. But you must remember that's a Premium benefit & not all cachers are Premium Members. 10 bucks might be pocket change for some people, but for others, it may be an amount that they can't afford to spend.

But sometimes, I like to look at an extremely large area for very specific caches.....say all Letterboxes. There's only 12 or 13 in this entire state. If I have every type of cache turned off except Letterboxes, then the LB's should be the ONLY type which counts toward that 500.

The Pocket Query option is a work-around. But you must remember that's a Premium benefit & not all cachers are Premium Members. 10 bucks might be pocket change for some people, but for others, it may be an amount that they can't afford to spend.

And the non-PQ alternative is much easier and quicker as a fast reference.

While I agree that the ability for the 500 cache limit to only count what is requested for letterboxes, virtuals, whatever, would be great, the combination of your statements does confuse me. If a user cannot afford to get a PM for whatever reason, cash credit, etc... and can't use the PQ function, they wouldn't be able to used the PM filter function of the map either.

Just my observation...

MYater