Garmin Oregon 200

en3chix

I am probally going to get the Garmin Orgeon 200 as I have a gift card for Bass Pro and this is the only GPS that I like in my price range. A few questions:

1. Would I really need a compas? This unit does not come with one and I don't use the compas on my current unit.

2. Would I better served getting the Orgeon 400t? I will only be geocaching and maybe taking this unit on my kayak when I go fishing. Is this unit worth the extra $130?

Thanks.

I personally wouldn't get the 200 as it has a more reduced features than the 300 +. Wireless transfer, for example, has been a blessing with more people appearing with wireless garmin units. Spanner mode is also useful for various reasons, most importantly the ability to use bog-standard USB cables as power cables :unsure:

Check this out:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information

Although I own the 300 and may be a bit biased, I would suggest it as well. (If your budget will allow that is) I wasn't willing to spend the extra $ for the 400t since it is basically exactly the same as the 300 just with topo's pre-loaded, and you can get free topo's from gpsfiledepot.com - and although I don't use the compass on mine very much it is a nice feature to have just in case you ever want it. But the biggest thing for me was the internal memory - definitely a plus. I have all my cache's and waypoints loaded on the internal memory, which leaves my 4gig microSD card for maps (I have the entire North America City Navigator maps as well as the free topo's for Utah and Nevada on it right now, and it's only about half full.)

I'd miss the alarms (no turn-by-turn alerts) and altimeter too but it depends on what you are using it for and what you are willing to spend.

Can someone who owns a 200 confirm that the entire "Elevation Plot" tool is not supported on the 200? Or do you have the elevation plot and it is just based on GPS elevation?

I'd miss the alarms (no turn-by-turn alerts) and altimeter too but it depends on what you are using it for and what you are willing to spend.

Can someone who owns a 200 confirm that the entire "Elevation Plot" tool is not supported on the 200? Or do you have the elevation plot and it is just based on GPS elevation?

Its not even there.

Only Garmin units with barometers have the elevation plots.