Cache on Museum Property?

off-camber

There is a non-profit Science Museum close to me. On there property they have trails through wooded areas. I don't think (need to check) that you have to pay admission to the museum to access the trails. I have been working with the Director of Marketing on another project and was thinking of approaching her about placing a cache or two on thier property.

I felt it would be beneficial to them as it would bring more people to the museum and they could have a theme to the cache maybe call attention to a particular point of interest on their trail system.

My question is...is this idea within the rules? Assuming trail access does not cost admission and the museum is not directly selling anything or making a profit from the cache.

I dont see any reason why not. As long as you have permission. There is a cache on the trail to the Prentice Falls on the Adirondack Museums Property (Non_profit) in Blue Mountain Lake, N.Y.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...55-5b3cc94d756b

There are also a couple of caches set up outside of the Wild Center Museum (Non-Profit) in Tupper Lake, NY

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4b-53b069c8a1c2

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a0-50d973e7fbcf

Just get permission

Edited by GeoLobo

Go for it, just follow the lead of Starbrand and don't write an ad or tourist blog for the museum on your cache page and you'll be fine. There are lots of museum based caches out there already. It's a great way to alert interested cachers to the out of the way smaller museums.

The museum I work in as a contractor just released a whole series of caches this week.

I don't see the difference between a museum and a library, that of which I have found many caches in. I would love to have one in my area, better than a LPC in the parking lot.

I don't know of any libraries that require an entrance fee just to enter and browse the collection. Although some museums have are free or have a nominal recommended donation, there are many in which you can't enter without paying a fee.

That said, I know of many caches that are on museum property, and in many cases the title/theme of the cache is related to the museum. From what I have seen from those that have come here to complain about how the listing they submitted was rejected because of the commercial guidelines, in almost every case it boiled down to what was written in the description on the page. In many of those cases, it was even mentioned that the reviewer had rejected it *because* of some specific wording on the cache listing, and that if the wording was changed such that it was less commercial sounding the cache may be approved.

In any case, whether or not a cache at a museum is approved is up to the reviewer. Write up a sample description you'll use for the listing and send it to your local reviewer and they'll tell you whether or not it might be published. Even if every response in this thread indicated that a cache at a museum should be published the only opinion that matters is that of your local reviewer (which can be appealed...but in cases like this I suspect that Groundspeak wouldn't overrule a reviewers interpretation of the guidelines).

I don't see an issue but the reviewer decides and I am not a reviewer. Get permission from the museum manager or if the case be owner and state that you do have permission. As long as it is outside and no money is required to be spent and is not in essence an ad for the museum it should be accepted. I have found caches in many business parking lots and the like. While it does bring them more business people can look for and find the cache without spending one red cent. Just don't call the cache Come on into the Museum :)