Needing help with Micro cache

MSUHumbug

My husband and I only have 3 actual finds under out belt, all of which are of small to regular size. We have several micro caches we want to find. We know the area where they might by but can not find time.

Anyone have tips, hints, clues that might help make finding a micro cache easier to find? I know it depends on the cache, but what can be used as a micro?

Edited by MSUHumbug

Methinks the best advice is to avoid going after the micros for a bit. Concentrate more on larger than micros. It's the practice you need, not so much advice.

Go get 'em! :D

Thanks.. I know we need some practice, we seem to have no problems so far with the small to reg. sized caches. My husband and I just bough our gps yesterday. The first cache find we used google maps to get us to the area using the co-ords. and then walked around to find it. Which was just luck on our part. We were out for like 3 hours today and found 2. spend like 30 minutes trying to find a micro... but had no luck. the gps was a little dodgy though probably because of the tree coverage.

My husband and I only have 3 actual finds under out belt, all of which are of small to regular size. We have several micro caches we want to find. We know the area where they might by but can not find time.

Anyone have tips, hints, clues that might help make finding a micro cache easier to find? I know it depends on the cache, but what can be used as a micro?

I'm somewhat new also. So far the nano's we have found have been magnetic. They are as small as the end of your little finger (ist joint and found) I don't know what the thing is called.

Log in to www.ebay.com and in the search/find type in geocaching containers. There you will see hundreds of different types of micros that will give you an idea of what they look like or what you could use.

Log in to www.ebay.com and in the search/find type in geocaching containers. There you will see hundreds of different types of micros that will give you an idea of what they look like or what you could use.

Thanks! I realized after i said I didnt know what they looked like, i could easily solve the problem by actually google searching them. I have seen some fairly small ones. I will have to keep educating myself on what they look like.

I'm in the same boat with my family. We go out every weekend to go find caches and I ended up creating pocket queries for small or bigger. Having the Iphone with me and using the app we'll atempt a micro if it's nearby. So far of the 5 macro's we went after, we've only found 2.

I have a friend of mine who has over 500 finds and I've asked her guidance. She helped me find a macro and we talked about my methodology of trying to find it and how to improve it. I've also been going to ebay and every Groundspeak distributer and looking at what their micro containers look like.

The thing is not to get discouraged. As you find more caches you'll get better at knowing what to look. Even if you look for only small and above, any area will have plenty to find. I know within 10 miles of were I live there are 108 small or aboves.

I personally feel that there's no value in not searching for micros (and nanos) simply because you're new to geocaching. How are you supposed to learn how to spot them if they don't try? That said, there's also no value in getting discouraged if you don't find most of 'em the first few times you try. Just add them to your "later" list and come back when you have more experience.

Pete

I personally feel that there's no value in not searching for micros (and nanos) simply because you're new to geocaching. How are you supposed to learn how to spot them if they don't try? That said, there's also no value in getting discouraged if you don't find most of 'em the first few times you try. Just add them to your "later" list and come back when you have more experience.

Pete

I like your thinking. I love geo caching! I (so far) have not been discouraged by not finding something...

I usually don't bother to read the cache page or size until I arrive at GZ. For micros and nanos, think protection. Unlike larger containers, these little guys tend to get moved by the wind, rain, and small furry creatures. Therefore, in urban areas I tend to start with ferrous metal objects that will hold a magnetic cache. In the woods, its most likely either a film can or a bison tube. Think like a hider. What happens when the grounds crew comes out to trim the branches of that bush? Look near the trunk, not at the branch tips. Look for knot holes in trees, and monofiliment hanging where it shouldn't be. Also, rocks generally don't grow out of trees, they're placed to hide other things like caches. Look up. I arrived at one micro in the woods, announced to my 2 kids that "this is the exact spot, only to have one of them literally pick it out of the air 6 inches in front of my nose. I was looking down, and it was suspended from monofilament from a branch above. Above all, have fun. If its getting late and you're tired, come back and try another day. The sweetest find is the one that takes 2 or 3 trips back to find. I have at least a dozen in that category now on my hit list.

Pete

I like your thinking. I love geo caching! I (so far) have not been discouraged by not finding something...

I usually don't bother to read the cache page or size until I arrive at GZ. For micros and nanos, think protection. Unlike larger containers, these little guys tend to get moved by the wind, rain, and small furry creatures. Therefore, in urban areas I tend to start with ferrous metal objects that will hold a magnetic cache. In the woods, its most likely either a film can or a bison tube. Think like a hider. What happens when the grounds crew comes out to trim the branches of that bush? Look near the trunk, not at the branch tips. Look for knot holes in trees, and monofiliment hanging where it shouldn't be. Also, rocks generally don't grow out of trees, they're placed to hide other things like caches. Look up. I arrived at one micro in the woods, announced to my 2 kids that "this is the exact spot, only to have one of them literally pick it out of the air 6 inches in front of my nose. I was looking down, and it was suspended from monofilament from a branch above. Above all, have fun. If its getting late and you're tired, come back and try another day. The sweetest find is the one that takes 2 or 3 trips back to find. I have at least a dozen in that category now on my hit list.

There you go........ "Spartan" perseverance, or would that be "Wolverine" tenacity? :D

I'm in the same boat with my family. We go out every weekend to go find caches and I ended up creating pocket queries for small or bigger. Having the Iphone with me and using the app we'll atempt a micro if it's nearby. So far of the 5 macro's we went after, we've only found 2.

I have a friend of mine who has over 500 finds and I've asked her guidance. She helped me find a macro and we talked about my methodology of trying to find it and how to improve it. I've also been going to ebay and every Groundspeak distributer and looking at what their micro containers look like.

The thing is not to get discouraged. As you find more caches you'll get better at knowing what to look. Even if you look for only small and above, any area will have plenty to find. I know within 10 miles of were I live there are 108 small or aboves.

Finding micros or nanos with the iPhone app can be quite challenging since the GPS on them is not very accurate. Take a look at the compass of the iPhone app when searching and it will tell you how accurate you location is. Mine usual says it is within 23 feet. Finding a nano or micro in 23 foot raidius circle can be extreemly diffcult.

As others have said, micros can be smaller than most novice geocachers can imagine, and can be camouflaged as almost anything. Look at the various cache containers available online to get an idea of what you might be looking for. Many are magnetic, so check metal structures. But check other places too. And be sure to check the difficulty rating. A 2-star micro is probably something like a magnetic keyholder in an obvious location. A 4-star micro could take a lot longer to find.

In addition to the advice others have offered, sometimes it helps to consider the "phone a friend" rule. That is, imagine that you're the cache owner, and you want to be able to tell your buddies where to look when they call on their cell phones. You're going to pick somewhere that is easy to describe to someone over the phone. Or imagine you're a cache owner who wants to be able to find the cache again months later, after you've hidden a dozen others, and after you've found a few hundred more. You're going to pick somewhere that is easy to remember.

Finding micros or nanos with the iPhone app can be quite challenging since the GPS on them is not very accurate. Take a look at the compass of the iPhone app when searching and it will tell you how accurate you location is. Mine usual says it is within 23 feet. Finding a nano or micro in 23 foot raidius circle can be extreemly diffcult.

That stupid "accuracy" reading almost never reflects the real-time accuracy of a GPS unit, and it doesn't much matter whether it's a cell phone running a GPS application or a dedicated GPSr. What matters is the ground truth of the real-time location coordinates and they're almost always far more accurate than that stupid "accuracy" reading.

I cache with a Garmin Oregon 400t and I've lost track of the times that it's led me to GZ and the cache was within arm's reach despite the fact that the stupid "accuracy" reading was reporting 30-40 feet or more. That's actually the rule instead of the exception. I also always save waypoints with my Oregon held right over every USGS geodetic survey benchmark I come across and the waypoint coordinates are almost always within 0.05 seconds longitude and 0.03 seconds latitude (less than 5 feet of linear distance) of the published coordinates for the benchmark. This is the typical ground truth accuracy I get from my Oregon even when that stupid "accuracy" reading says 30-40 feet or more when I save the waypoint.

I also have an old Garmin GPS12 handheld and a nuvi 500 and I get similar performance out of them, despite what that stupid "accuracy" reading says. The bottom line is: that stupid "accuracy" reading reading should be ignored, and if you can't force yourself to do that then treat the reading as an absolute worse-case guestimate.

There's one more thing which is important to understand about GPS accuracy: No GPSr has ever found a cache. A GPSr is only capable of leading a human to where he or she should start searching. My find to DNF ratio improved dramatically once I started putting my GPSr away once I was reasonably confident I was at GZ and using my eyes and brain (read: geosenses) to find the cache. The truth of the matter is a GPSr is little more than a distraction once you arrive at GZ.

Pete

I'm somewhat new also. So far the nano's we have found have been magnetic. They are as small as the end of your little finger (ist joint and found) I don't know what the thing is called.

A blinkie?

I don't see anything wrong with trying for micros at the beginning as long as you do not let it get to you. Remember, there are people who have been caching for a long time who have bad days with little or no finds. Just don't be afraid of the DNFs. Logging a DNF does not mean you can not go back and turn it around to a find later. It helps the cache owner keep track of the cache and any possible issues, also you will find that sometimes cache owners will send you a hint if you log a DNF. Some key things to remember....

Most (not all) nanos are magnetic.

Google maps and other such sites can be invaluable for cache recon before you go to the site...Do not rely on it as the only tool but it can sometimes come in handy.

Think up/down to scale.....when you know WHAT size you are looking for, keep that in mind.

Make sure you read the ENTIRE cache page and logs for possible hints.

Whenever you come across a new type of hide, learn from it. You will find a lot of them recur and before long you will be finding hides that now you would not even imagine.

Most importantly, its a game and have fun. Some people get frustrated too easily and give up the game before giving it a chance.

Remember that "Micro" and 'Nano" are not the same thing. A nano can be very small- about the size if your little finger or less. these are easy to hide so look for containers hidden behind, under or on top. A micro can be as large as maybe a Soup can. Much easier to find and harder to hide. I am fairly new at this also and at first hated micros but this was really because the 1st 2 or 3 I went for were really nanos. After I found that the catagory included larger items than i thought I have found several caches listed as micro but were fairly easy because they were larger than i originally thought.

Read the descriptions and the logs carefully as they will often give a clue as to the REAL size of the cache.

ltlpink

Remember that "Micro" and 'Nano" are not the same thing. A nano can be very small- about the size if your little finger or less. these are easy to hide so look for containers hidden behind, under or on top. A micro can be as large as maybe a Soup can. Much easier to find and harder to hide. I am fairly new at this also and at first hated micros but this was really because the 1st 2 or 3 I went for were really nanos. After I found that the catagory included larger items than i thought I have found several caches listed as micro but were fairly easy because they were larger than i originally thought.

Read the descriptions and the logs carefully as they will often give a clue as to the REAL size of the cache.

ltlpink

Well a nano IS a very small micro but not all micros are nanos. I believe that is what you are trying to say. A soup can size would actually be more of a small.