Why post tracking numbers?

Gitchee-Gummee

We have noticed recently (becoming more and more common) that cachers are posting the tracking number of TBs and GCs in their online logs. Why is that? We understood that one should not post that number (nor post a photo showing that number), right from our geocaching startup. Is it that they can't, don't or won't read the guidelines? :)

Lots of <moderator edit> people out there.

Edited by Eartha

We have noticed recently (becoming more and more common) that cachers are posting the tracking number of TBs and GCs in their online logs. Why is that? We understood that one should not post that number (nor post a photo showing that number), right from our geocaching startup. Is it that they can't, don't or won't read the guidelines? :)

Just a Personal Opinion, aside from newbies not understanding the game yet, or the ramifications, fully,

I think that some people simply don't know the difference between the names... tracking number or tag reference number... They may simply be trying to avoid using the reference number.

As for pictures, I just sent an email to a cacher that picked up one I moved a ways back. No problems there of course. But I noticed a number on a bug that should not have been there... hopefully they will grimace and use the other one I found (with the number nicely removed). That is likey just uploading the wrong version of picture... and correctible.

Another side I've mentioned before is that many people apply the no number posting here at GS, then put it in text and photo all over their web pages and blogs... One simply cannot edit all of those ones. Even gallery postings on GS are full of numbers. Those I try to mention to whoever, but it doesn't stem the flood.

Probably the only road to go is educating the newbies. Goes for logging, TB's, putting caches back properly, not trashing the countryside at the same time, etc. etc. etc... Good idea for events and meetings, spread the word... and remember that there are many different views on what constitutes 'proper' method.

Doug 7rxc

It goes in cycles. I've been around long enough to know that it's not becoming more and more common.

We take the time to educate and the knowledge is passed along.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Lots of <moderator edit> people out there.

Well that's a pretty crappy attitude. :rolleyes: Some people just don't know. If everyone was honest then it wouldn't matter then, would it?

Edited by Eartha

I've noticed this too... done not only by newer cachers, but also by some who are well into higher number of finds.

Why is this happening?

I have no clue.

jim of jimandsue60:

you are one of the few who take note and learn.

as for the emails................ I really don't think too many of us wanna be the TB police. :):rolleyes::grin:

kudos at ya. :D

EDIT INFO: But, it's an idea....... maybe we can get Groundspeak to create a Traveler Police Squad.

Sounds like a good suggestion (or maybe not). ;)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

On a few occasions I have emailed cachers to explain why tracking numbers shouldn't be shown in cache logs - and I've always had a friendly response along the lines of "Thanks for letting us know".

I think it happens because new cachers are trying to be correct and accurate in their logging and, to them just starting out, it seems quite reasonable that they should quote the number on the actual TB to clearly identify which one they picked up, or dropped off. They haven't thought further about what could happen if someone decides to use the tracking number to "make mischief". If you look at the instruction page "How to use a travel bug" (which is where most new cachers would look for their information, I'd guess) I feel this point about 'not putting the tracking number in logs' is not emphasised enough.

I think it's the same thing with newer cachers thinking, "I'd better not take that TB/geocoin - I haven't got one to swap for it." They're trying to play fair in this new game they've discovered.

We all know that a very small percentage of geocachers actually read these forums so, until they find them, the best we can do is educate them with helpful emails when we notice something amiss.

MrsB :)

My first TB I had posted the number, alot of people think it is for identity and not security. 2 weeks later when I read something about it I went and edited the number, sure wish someone would of sent me an email I would of reacted much quicker. Thankfully there didn't seem to be any miles logged due to my error.