Legend and maps

thumbs1

I tried this before but am havein a bit of a problem. I have a Garmin Legend. I have some tracks saved that I would like to transfer to some kind of a mapping program. I have tried it on Maps and Streets and MapSource. Can someone take me though the steps to take a saved track on my Legend and send it to a mapping program so I can save it on the computer and print it out? The gps is about 98% full and I need to save the tracks and put more on.

Right now it seems the Legend is not communicating with the computer. The computer doesn't know the Garmin is connected to it. I know it can recognize the Garmin because it downloads the info from GSAK.

thanks for the help

The computer doesn't know the Garmin is connected to it. I know it can recognize the Garmin because it downloads the info from GSAK.

Go to Setup, Interface, USB Mass Storage. This will make your PC show the etrex like an external drive, and you can just manually shift the .gpx files to My Docs or wherever.

(I'm assuming the Legend has the same menu as my Vista)

I export tracks from my eTrex Legend to Google Earth a lot, if that helps.

Just fire up Google Earth and click on Tools/GPS using the toolbar at the top. Now click the radio button for "Garmin", select what you want to transfer (Waypoints, Tracks, Routes) using the radio buttons, click the "Import" button and... Voila!

Hey thanks guys for the help. I "think" I am pretty close here but I have a little problem.

I have the older blue Legend with the serial port.

Ok I am able to transfer my tracks to mapsource and from mapsource can pull up google earth. The problem is it really isn't very exacting as to the pict and the mapping on google. Of course it could be me doin something wrong. When I pull it up on Mapsource its really a very sparce map. It only shows my track and a few major roads without towns or really much detail at all. I would like to be able to see the roads I was on. The map I from mapsourse really isn't much help the way it is.

I tried to transfer the info to mapquest but it tells me the file is in an unexpected format and will not transfoer the info.

Hey thanks guys for the help. I "think" I am pretty close here but I have a little problem.
What about importing the information directly into Google Earth?

Connect your Legend to your PC using the cable ...

Launch Google Earth ...

Click on Tools / GPS / Garmin ...

Select what you want to import from your unit using the checkboxes ...

Click on "Import".

Joy?