Which Palm are you using for paperless?

Bodaway

any cheap palm will work, you should be able to find one for around $15-$25 on ebay. Another fee for Cachemate and you're ready (I think, can't remember since it's been awhile since I've used a PDA for paperless). I believe I used a Zire31...

Wait, still have it too! B) Collecting dust on the shelf!

Thanks for the quick response RR.

I like your "Look for Bikes" picture. I ride also. I just came back from circling Lake Superior and it was great. Camped the whole way, but was not into geocaching then or I would have spent more time looking.

My main concern on Palms is battery life and memory storage. I can get around the serial/usb problem because I run XP on a desktop that I built which has a serial port.

I would like to stay local with craigslist (no real reason other than I like to see before I buy).

Thanks

:laughing:

Myself I've used the Palm m500, for several years, dropped it many times, got it wet, sort of cooked it (left it in my tracker for a few days) Yuma,AZ @ 117 deg. replaced one battery ($7.95) Works with XP on the PC and Vista on my laptop (USB connect on both) Got 2 of them for around $25 ea. on ebay

Get one with a monochrome screen. That helps in two ways. First, it's easier to read in daylight. Second, they generally have a lot better battery life (no backlight to suck the batteries down). My old IIIxe has great battery life on two AAA batteries.

...ken...

that's what i'm using! I like it :laughing:

I'd like to suggest you go a different direction.

I'd suggest you get a Garmin Nuvi. You can load all the same info into it, and also have a nice dash unit for the car.

Add the hints, the cache size, difficulty, terrain, and cache type to your Garmin 60, and you will not have to rely on the Nuvi very often. This info is downloadable.

I'd like to suggest you go a different direction.

I'd suggest you get a Garmin Nuvi. You can load all the same info into it, and also have a nice dash unit for the car.

Add the hints, the cache size, difficulty, terrain, and cache type to your Garmin 60, and you will not have to rely on the Nuvi very often. This info is downloadable.

I have a Palm Vx, a Nuvi 660, and a eTrex Venture HC. For urban caches near the car, the Palm hardly ever gets used. I use the Nuvi to drive near the cache, read about it, get out of the car and walk to GZ to search. If I can't find it and need more hints, I come back to the car to look it up, or to read past logs.

I have mixed feelings about using it on a trail though. The advantage is that it immediately goes to the nearest cache, instead of having it sorted alphabetically in CacheMate. Sorting by distance to a cache in CacheMate takes a while, especially if you load it with a few thousand caches like I do. Sometimes I would use the bookmark feature in CacheMate to narrow it down to a few. The Nuvi is also more expensive, more fragile, takes a long time to start up, sucks up battery pretty fast if left on, will not allow you to take notes or to mark a cache as found in the field (author of macro suggests adding cache to favorites as a way of keeping track, but it will still show up on searches).