Any recommendations on how to best carry around a Nuvi?

hoyshnin

I geocache with a Nuvi 255W and haven't dropped it yet, but I'm sure I will sometime. Does anyone have recommendations on how to carry it around (other than just holding it in your hands at all times and hoping you don't have butterfingers)? Does anyone have a favorite kind of strap they use, or a case with a strap? Where did you get it?

Thanks!

Not much help for you, but I'd never use a car based Nuvi for outdoor uses such as hiking, camping or geocaching. Your 255W is too fragile and NOT weather resistant. I have a Nuvi for my car and love, love, LOVE it. But, it only lives in the car or the house...never on foot. Kind of difficult to swap batteries in the field, too. :D

Edited by scotthsi

I agree with scotthsi, the best way to carry a Nuvi 255W is in your car :D It's not really a "outdoors" GPS. That's not to say that in a pinch I've not hunted a cache or two with it when I didn't have my handheld with me. A used handheld from ebay (maybe $50-60) might be a good choice if money is tight right now. If you drop or get your Nuvi wet you are going to be without a GPS at all or be spending money to replace it, so spending a little now as "insurance" against that might not be a bad idea. As an alternative otter box or pelican box that that the Nuvi will fit in is about $25. That would protect from rain and drops but make using the touch screen and issue. Best wishes and good luck with finding the solution that is right for you.

Rain isn't an issue for me given that I live in Southern California, and if it does rain then I won't go geocaching (or if I'm out I'll hide it in plastic in my bag while I get back to the car).

I can't afford any other gps right now and the nuvi works fantastically and allows me to geocache paperlessly.

Mostly I just want to protect it from dropping, so I'm looking for some sort of strap I can attach it to, or a case with a strap.

I have a Nuvi 205W, identical physically to your 255W. I've backpacked and daypacked with it for ~100 miles. I carry it in an old HP 35 calculator case, heavily padded. Turns out these old cases outlast the electronics 10:1.

While you're going to have a hard time finding an HP 35 case, these GPS cases from PCMicroStore should be about the same. Many colors and don't pay list, always a 50% off coupon on the deal sites.

I have a Nuvi 205W, identical physically to your 255W. I've backpacked and daypacked with it for ~100 miles. I carry it in an old HP 35 calculator case, heavily padded. Turns out these old cases outlast the electronics 10:1.

While you're going to have a hard time finding an HP 35 case, these GPS cases from PCMicroStore should be about the same. Many colors and don't pay list, always a 50% off coupon on the deal sites.

So do you just pull it out of the case when you want to look at it? In other words, when you're actually looking at the screen, is it unprotected and not strapped to your wrist/neck?

So do you just pull it out of the case when you want to look at it? In other words, when you're actually looking at the screen, is it unprotected and not strapped to your wrist/neck?
Indeed!!!

Basically you're asking if I use a lanyard . . . No!!! I find lanyard's to be a PITA. I only use a lanyard on my camera which rides in my chest pocket and falls out sometimes when I bend over. Some people are obsessive compulsive regarding protecting etoys, I'm not. In two years they'll be worthless whether they work or not . . . obsolete!!!

For me the Nuvi was a failed experiment, love the large touchscreen, but the dreadful battery life and poor sunlight viewing caused the Nuvi to be a backup GPS and campsite map viewer. Besides I was surprised how good it is for road navigation. Fancy that!

I put a screen protector on my unit and if it's not in my hand then it got tossed in my caching bag -- which is just a canvas, general-purpose tool bag from my local Army/Navy Surplus store. But then I've never been one to fret over my e-gadgets getting the occasional ding.

Lanyards are for you sidearm and little else, IMO.

I can't afford any other gps right now and the nuvi works fantastically and allows me to geocache paperlessly.

Please explain how you do that last part with a Nuvi 255.

Can't afford a cheap hand held GPS? Do you drink/smoke? Eat snacks out of the machine at work? Grab fast food? Any other easily curbed non-essential recurring expenses? Knock that s*** off for a week or three and you can buy yourself a pretty nice dedicated outdoor GPS, then go back to your previous debauchery. :huh:

Please explain how you do that last part with a Nuvi 255.

Can't afford a cheap hand held GPS? Do you drink/smoke? Eat snacks out of the machine at work? Grab fast food? Any other easily curbed non-essential recurring expenses? Knock that s*** off for a week or three and you can buy yourself a pretty nice dedicated outdoor GPS, then go back to your previous debauchery. :huh:

Nope, just have thousands of dollars in student loans, a wife, and a child with a lot of medical expenses, buying another gps is not an option right now.

To do paperless geocaching with a nuvi, just google it and look for a website with pilotsnipes in the URL.

[quote name='hoyshnin' post='4066158' date='Sep 15 2009, 02:36 PM' Some people are obsessive compulsive regarding protecting etoys, I'm not. In two years they'll be worthless whether they work or not . . . obsolete!!!

Really? Obsolete? I'm rocking a 3+ year old Nuvi with the newest 2010.20 map update. My wife uses a 4+ year old Street Pilot with the same map. Guess what? They still work just fine...even better than when I bought them because the maps are more up to date. I also bought a Garmin 60CSx earlier this year for a HELL of a great deal...brand new. And it's 3-4+ year old technology. It all will still get you from point A to B and then some perfectly fine. Consider that VERY often, the "new" stuff is riddled with problems such as, build quality, firmware/software bugs, etc. I like the time tested stuff. :huh:

I'm not sure this much help because I have no idea where you would find one but if you are looking for something to put around your neck and still be able to view and operate the NUVI, I have a transparent credential pouch I got at a library conference that would probably work. It's about the right size and has an adjustable neck strap. You might want to look at places that sell dry bags for the beach or kayacking. These often are on lanyards and at least some of them are clear. I also keep my NUVI in the car but I think these ideas might work.

Team Taran

I use a Speck Toughskin. Has a belt clip built in and still uses the stock Garmin mount. http://www.speckproducts.com/products/toug...200w-series/148. Bought it from Amazon.com when I bought my 205W.

Cool, thanks.

I'm not sure this much help because I have no idea where you would find one but if you are looking for something to put around your neck and still be able to view and operate the NUVI, I have a transparent credential pouch I got at a library conference that would probably work. It's about the right size and has an adjustable neck strap. You might want to look at places that sell dry bags for the beach or kayacking. These often are on lanyards and at least some of them are clear. I also keep my NUVI in the car but I think these ideas might work.

Team Taran

That's a good idea, I'll look into it.

Nope, just have thousands of dollars in student loans, a wife, and a child with a lot of medical expenses, buying another gps is not an option right now.

Okay, but are you seriously saying you can't carve out $50-100 SOMEWHERE?

I'd more easily believe the excuse of "the GPS isn't that important right now" over "it's not an option at all". :huh:

Okay, but are you seriously saying you can't carve out $50-100 SOMEWHERE?

I'd more easily believe the excuse of "the GPS isn't that important right now" over "it's not an option at all". :huh:

I'm seriously saying that. Finances are very tight right now, especially with no good job prospects after graduation given the current state of our economy.

You don't live under their roof or eat off their table so give them the benefit of a doubt.

But he's got a Nuvi and free time to geocache...gas, wear and tear on the car, etc? Hell, if I were that strapped, I'd have part time JOB for my "spare time". And don't say "family bonding", either. I highly doubt that child "with a lot of medical expenses" is getting out in the woods and geocaching. :huh:

You really should not be judging unless you have walked a mile in the other persons shoes. T

I've been in the poor house before. There is ALWAYS something to be cut if something else is desired. It's a matter of HOW MUCH you want the other thing and NOT that it is "impossible". Have to wonder if this guy has cable/satellite TV with pay channels, cell phones that aren't needed, etc. How many TVs in the house? You only "need" one and that's debatable. Guy sounds young... Video game systems and the recurring cost of games/rentals? Gym membership that can be canceled and replaced with good old exercise at home and jogging around the neighborhood? What about that iPod/iTunes subscription? I am NOT saying he has these things, but, surely you get my point. If not, then God help you and your lack of understanding...

hey haven't made comments about you, your lifestyle or actions.

Because I didn't ask questions about using something for which it was not intended and possibly BREAKING it and ending up with NO GPS unit, as another poster mentioned, because I can't afford a very inexpensive dedicated outdoor type hand held.

Please refrain from anymore posts against them in the forums.

Now, who died and made you "lord of the dance"? :huh:

Edited by scotthsi