Bugs in difficult caches - My lucky day

NevaP

I've had two TBs stalled in rarely visited caches.

Neva's Gold Hogwild Traveler (TB1MG13 went into Clueless - The Revenge of Andy Bear (GCXN0M), a multistage puzzle cache in a remote area of New Jersey, on 2/21/2008 There was a maintenance visit but no finds since then.

ENTSOC BUG 1 (TB5192) went into The Seven Wonders of Tahlequah (GC15E5W) a seven stage multicache in Oklahoma on 2/21/2009. There was a find in March which did not retrieve the bug.

Yesterday, 8/16/2009, both caches were found, and the bugs liberated after being stalled for 18 months and 6 months. As I celebrated I was struck by the coincidence of the dates.

Myself, I would never put a bug into a cache that gets found rarely. Also if I found a bug in such a cache I would get it moving again.

But I'm just happy they are retrieved at last.

Ahh. Harrumph! WAHHH! :):rolleyes::)

New Jersey has remote areas??? WAHH!!! That is one of our favorite caches!! It's just a mile off Rte 23, on the Highlands Trail. About a 400' climb each way. It is NWCDC, so a hiking permit is required. I'm sorry if our local cachers have no imagination. Dolphin's feeling are hurt. :huh: WAHHH!

And you never asked me to check on your GC.

The bizarre thing is that I was planing on another maintenance visit this Friday. Cindy Bear has been searching for the cache for a few years. She's found three of the five stages. Unfortunately, she tends to bite on the waypoints, rather than unscrewing them. But since the last finder assures me that all of the waypoints are in good condition, and since he rescued your geocoin, I can do other things on Friday.

Wah! Dolphin's feelings hurt. :D Remote indeed. :D

Ahh. Harrumph! WAHHH! :D:D:D

New Jersey has remote areas??? WAHH!!! That is one of our favorite caches!! It's just a mile off Rte 23, on the Highlands Trail. About a 400' climb each way. It is NWCDC, so a hiking permit is required. I'm sorry if our local cachers have no imagination. Dolphin's feeling are hurt. :) WAHHH!

And you never asked me to check on your GC.

The bizarre thing is that I was planing on another maintenance visit this Friday. Cindy Bear has been searching for the cache for a few years. She's found three of the five stages. Unfortunately, she tends to bite on the waypoints, rather than unscrewing them. But since the last finder assures me that all of the waypoints are in good condition, and since he rescued your geocoin, I can do other things on Friday.

Wah! Dolphin's feelings hurt. :) Remote indeed. :)

My apologies but a mile off a trail with a 400 foot climb each way sounds about as remote as you can get in New Jersey :D But what do I know. I've only passed through a couple times on the turnpike. However, since NJ is only 11% the size of my state, Nebraska, and has almost 5 times the population of Nebraska, I am willing to concede that there are no remote places in New Jersey. If you want to see remote come to the Nebraska Sandhills. :rolleyes:

I actually was thinking about asking if you were planning a maintenance run anytime. Poor bug was really stalled. But somebody, and a noob cacher at that, finally made the effort to find the cache.

Too many micros are making people lazy. :huh:

I've had two TBs stalled in rarely visited caches.

Neva's Gold Hogwild Traveler (TB1MG13 went into Clueless - The Revenge of Andy Bear (GCXN0M), a multistage puzzle cache in a remote area of New Jersey, on 2/21/2008 There was a maintenance visit but no finds since then.

ENTSOC BUG 1 (TB5192) went into The Seven Wonders of Tahlequah (GC15E5W) a seven stage multicache in Oklahoma on 2/21/2009. There was a find in March which did not retrieve the bug.

Yesterday, 8/16/2009, both caches were found, and the bugs liberated after being stalled for 18 months and 6 months. As I celebrated I was struck by the coincidence of the dates.

Myself, I would never put a bug into a cache that gets found rarely. Also if I found a bug in such a cache I would get it moving again.

But I'm just happy they are retrieved at last.

I know the feeling. I had a TB stuck in a rarely visited PM cache for four months. Not as long as you, but still frustrating. Luckily, I was able to go retrieve it as well as another TB that had been stuck in a nearby cache and sent them on their way.

People complain when their bugs aren't placed in a chach and people complain when their bugs are placed in a cache...durned if you do, durned if you don't.

That's why I usually bypass bugs.

Umm... I think your completely misrepresenting this thread. It's about bugs in lonely caches, not caches in general.

On the other hand, although you don't get the joy of movement, those lonely difficult caches are perhaps a safe place for your bug, less likely to be muggled, and when finally found, it is likely to be by an experienced cacher that will know what to do with a bug.

Call me guilty, but I often swap/leave bugs at a more difficult cache as it is an incentive for someone else to attempt it. I recently dropped my latest geocoin release at a 12 stage multi. Of course, I can always go get it again if it stays too long.