Flame-proof containers

Puppy Dawg

Like uxorious said, very few things can survive a fire. I've collected three of my caches (ammo cans) that went through the Basin Complex Fire in Central California last year after the Forest Service opened the area back up, and to say the cache *survived* would be a bit of a stretch. Besides the rubber seals around the lid melting, and the cans having an unusual bulge to them (presumeably from the expanding air inside the containers), the only real benefit was the ability of the cans to contain the ashes of everything inside.

f97d51be-91f7-4bac-8ca9-442aaf1570a6.jpg

Amazingly enough, I was able to recover a couple of Red Jeep Travelbugs as well as a couple of other Trackables :P :

0d6725fa-b57b-47a9-9482-6699b0141fdd.jpg

Like uxorious said, very few things can survive a fire. I've collected three of my caches (ammo cans) that went through the Basin Complex Fire in Central California last year after the Forest Service opened the area back up, and to say the cache *survived* would be a bit of a stretch. Besides the rubber seals around the lid melting, and the cans having an unusual bulge to them (presumeably from the expanding air inside the containers), the only real benefit was the ability of the cans to contain the ashes of everything inside.

f97d51be-91f7-4bac-8ca9-442aaf1570a6.jpg

Amazingly enough, I was able to recover a couple of Red Jeep Travelbugs as well as a couple of other Trackables :) :

0d6725fa-b57b-47a9-9482-6699b0141fdd.jpg

What was the owners reaction after you told them their TBs had been through a wildfire? :P:lol:

What was the owners reaction after you told them their TBs had been through a wildfire?

The two Red Jeep TB's are owned by...I don't know....Jeep I guess, so I haven't heard anything from them, nor would I expect to. One person that had one of the RJTB's on a Watchlist emailed me and offered to take them off my hands and seal them back in resin/epoxy or some other strange concoction, and send them on their way. I'll see if I can find something to seal them all back up again in a single unit, but otherwise I might take them up on the offer and mail both of them off to get rehab'd :lol:

One of the coins was mine, that was meant as a FTF prize but was never claimed by the dozen or so people that found the cache.

The other coin owner contacted me and thought it was an amazing adventure, but seemed unconcerned whether I kept the coin going or not. I've since cleaned it up so that the tracking number is readable, swagged a new "This Is Not a Trade Item" type dog tag that I picked up from one of the local coin dealers in our area, and will hopefull (God willing and as long as I don't get seriously hypoxic) release it on THIS cache in a couple of weeks and keep the adventure going :P

Anyone know of flameproof containers I could use?? Or should I just spray that bright red fire retardant on caches?...

Only way to keep a paper log safe inside of a cache in a fire would be to use one of these for the cache:

H4100.jpg

Costs about 100$ and is water/fire proof (rated for 1/2 hour, apparently). <s>Bonus is that you can use the combo aspect as part of a puzzle or not, as you like.</s>

http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/product...T.si_p=CartView

Edit: Opps, not a combo safe.. but I've seen similar to this with a combo.

Edited by Arrow42

Yeah! an under water cache that had some sort of Indiana Jones trigger mechanism that allowed the cacher to trip the switch and the cache would rise from the depths!!!! Sweeeet. Now... how am I gonna do that one....

I was gonna suggest the fireproof safe option, but a few things there, besides the 1/2 hour rating..... Their safes..... so they lock.... I guess leave the safe unlocked for people to cache freely, but also the $$$$$$ cost of the safe itself. Even cheapies are $70 each......

I think the only safe bet is, if you're concerned about fires overwhelming your geocache, you should probably not place the cache, or be prepared to replace it after the next wave of flames dies down.

How about going for an underwater cache?

As far as I know things don't burn very well underwater. I could be wrong though. :(

TGC

Only if hit with a BROCO torch, and OxyArc hollow rod of magnesium with Oxygen purged through it. Most destructive tool made by man. Those things burn through anything. I used to do underwater construction/demo and these things were fun.

Oh, there is a filing cabinet version of the safe that's rated for several hours, my sister has one at work - they put the Lamborghini Titles and other paperwork in it. (Wish I could afford one - car not the cabinet)

That would be hilarious to go out in the woods and find a filing cabinet standing there. Camo it as a giant stump. Priceless

We have so many wildfires in my area...Most of my caches are out in the sticks. Usually they last longer than half an hour.

The fire lasts longer than 30 minutes in any one spot? I don't have any facts to back me up, but I doubt it. As soon as the fuel is used up, the fire moves on.

I have an inexpensive home safe similar to (but less expensive than) the one pictured above. Before I bought it, I did some research and learned that 1/2 hour is totally adequate for most home fires. I suspect your forest fires would be similarly brief in a single spot.