And the winner is...Oregon 550t

Okay, so we started out looking at the DeLorme PN-40 and the Oregon 400t to replace our ETrex. After wading through information here and elsewhere we are leaning towards the Oregon 550t. It sounds like Garmin fixed a few of the issues that are present in the 400; brighter screen & compass specifically and added a little camera. About that camera, when you take a photo is there a way to link it to the cache or do you have to remember what it goes to? We're old and forgetful I guess. Most reviews on the 550 were positive but this group has the real experts, does anyone have any red flags to wave?

About that camera, when you take a photo is there a way to link it to the cache or do you have to remember what it goes to? We're old and forgetful I guess. Most reviews on the 550 were positive but this group has the real experts, does anyone have any red flags to wave?

You can associate a photo with a waypoint but not a geocache. The easiest way to do this is save the geocache as a waypoint, take a picture and then associate the picture with the waypoint. Keep in mind the photo also shows up on the map page and as part of searches so you can always search near a geocache for a photo or just look on the map page for the photo near the geocache.

In general I've had very good luck with my 550t. It has become my "goto" GPS because of the camera. While it doesn't take great photos I use it instead of marking waypoints.

The only problems I'm having that are a nuisance are:

1) Sometimes the 3-axis compass freaks and starts spinning. You either need to turn it off or power cycle to get it back again. Same thing on my Dakota so it seems to be a problem with the new 3-axis compass.

2) I'm seeing some cases where geocaches are getting loaded but are partially corrupted. I thought this was only happening when loading a large number of geocaches (like 5000) but I've seen it recently when loading about 1400.

I've sent both issues to Garmin and they've been asking questions so hopefully they'll get fixed.

About that camera, when you take a photo is there a way to link it to the cache or do you have to remember what it goes to? We're old and forgetful I guess. Most reviews on the 550 were positive but this group has the real experts, does anyone have any red flags to wave?

You can associate a photo with a waypoint but not a geocache. The easiest way to do this is save the geocache as a waypoint, take a picture and then associate the picture with the waypoint. Keep in mind the photo also shows up on the map page and as part of searches so you can always search near a geocache for a photo or just look on the map page for the photo near the geocache.

In general I've had very good luck with my 550t. It has become my "goto" GPS because of the camera. While it doesn't take great photos I use it instead of marking waypoints.

The only problems I'm having that are a nuisance are:

1) Sometimes the 3-axis compass freaks and starts spinning. You either need to turn it off or power cycle to get it back again. Same thing on my Dakota so it seems to be a problem with the new 3-axis compass.

2) I'm seeing some cases where geocaches are getting loaded but are partially corrupted. I thought this was only happening when loading a large number of geocaches (like 5000) but I've seen it recently when loading about 1400.

I've sent both issues to Garmin and they've been asking questions so hopefully they'll get fixed.

Thanks for responding to everyone...I think we will enjoy it! We are planning a two week trip to the southwest (Northern AZ and Utah and who knows where else!) via old Route 66 from OK City in September. It'll be great to be able to load caches for the trip without printing off and then shuffling though a bunch of paper!!! Inevitably we would end up in the wrong place for the caches that I printed...frustrating.

Thanks G O Cachers for the info on how to connect the photos to waypoints. Sounds easy enough. Hopefully, Garmin will fix those freaky issues. The compass (well, and the improved screen) is what really pushed us to the 550 over the 400. We use the compass on our etrex alot and thought it would be frustrating to have to make sure it's level all the time. You have a Dakota? We wanted to learn more about them but it was difficult to find information on it, even on the Garmin site! Not sure what's up with that.

Now we're hoping to find a great online deal for the 550t. Keeping our eyes on Ebay and elsewhere.

Now we're hoping to find a great online deal for the 550t. Keeping our eyes on Ebay and elsewhere.

My 550t arrived today but I wasn't home to receive and sign for it. Bought it new from ebay and ended up paying $494 shipped (I used bing.com for 10% off $549). Still pricey but it was the best deal I could find.

My 550t arrived today but I wasn't home to receive and sign for it. Bought it new from ebay and ended up paying $494 shipped (I used bing.com for 10% off $549). Still pricey but it was the best deal I could find.

Heard something about Bing discount thing...can you tell us how to go about getting it? Would really appreciate it.

Heard something about Bing discount thing...can you tell us how to go about getting it? Would really appreciate it.

Once you sign up for cash back from bing, you'll login and click on the shopping link. Then do a search for GPS. You'll see an ebay advertisement appear on the right hand side. Click the cash back link to ebay. Then once your on ebay, narrow your search for the 550t. Most Buy it Now items will qualify.

Check these FAQs for more info:

http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/faq.aspx?FORM=R5FD3

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/cashback.html

Edit to add: looks like bing cash back for ebay is at 12% now

Edited by dcarbone

I've been using my new 550T for only a short time, but am loving it more and more. Photos are automatically geotagged. Not sure where you took this shot? Press the small globe at the bottom and it will show you on the map screen. Works pretty cool. I've used a PDA before but am loving the paperless aspect in one unit. Camera comes in handy and takes better photos than I thought it would. Still working on figuring out how long the battery will last, very dependent upon amount of photos and switching between all the different screens. Heck it's a toy, you have to check out all the features!

Okay, so we started out looking at the DeLorme PN-40 and the Oregon 400t to replace our ETrex. After wading through information here and elsewhere we are leaning towards the Oregon 550t. It sounds like Garmin fixed a few of the issues that are present in the 400; brighter screen & compass specifically and added a little camera. About that camera, when you take a photo is there a way to link it to the cache or do you have to remember what it goes to? We're old and forgetful I guess. Most reviews on the 550 were positive but this group has the real experts, does anyone have any red flags to wave?

The 550t will only let you store your geocache information on the internal device memory, not on external data cards. Othewise, it works great for me. I had a 300 and then got the 550t the day it was released.

Edited by ivhs72

Just ordered our new 550t on Ebay and am hoping that I didn't screw it up for the 12% cashback! Very excited to get this! So I will need a micro SD - 8GB? Car charger? What else to enhance the experience?

I would recommend a 4GB microSD for pictures and the autonav kit if you are going to use it for auto navigation (do you have City Nav maps?)

Nope, no City Nav maps...really not acquainted with them either. We will be using it for geocaching mostly. When we travel we like to take backroads and find out of the way places would the City Nav be useful? I don't drive in Cities very much.

Edited by jakiesfolks

Nope, no City Nav maps...really not acquainted with them either. We will be using it for geocaching mostly. When we travel we like to take backroads and find out of the way places would the City Nav be useful? I don't drive in Cities very much.

Yes, exactly what it is good for! Complete USA road coverage and auto-routeable by the GPS.

I took my 550T out for a day of caching. I constantly switched between autoroute and geocache mode driving around the city. It performed PERFECTLY! No compass freakouts, shut offs or other weird behaviors. Accuracy finding the 15 caches was great! This unit ROCKS! I think I will turn my 400T into a paper weight now.

I took my 550T out for a day of caching. I constantly switched between autoroute and geocache mode driving around the city. It performed PERFECTLY! No compass freakouts, shut offs or other weird behaviors. Accuracy finding the 15 caches was great! This unit ROCKS! I think I will turn my 400T into a paper weight now.

I too am loving the 550t. I'm just wondering how you have switched between geocache/driving mode?? Do you get close to the cache and then go to profile and switch that way? One person said to go into maps and disable the City Nav map? Thanks for any help.

That is really good to hear :laughing:

The 550t sounds pretty awesome. Im loving my 400t though.

I too am loving the 550t. I'm just wondering how you have switched between geocache/driving mode?? Do you get close to the cache and then go to profile and switch that way? One person said to go into maps and disable the City Nav map? Thanks for any help.

Thats correct. I auto route to the cache then go to geocache mode. I do not disable City Nav.

That is really good to hear :P

The 550t sounds pretty awesome. Im loving my 400t though.

The 400T is a nice unit. Mine just has a few issues.