Longest lost cache?

maxkim

After 2 years and 10 months one of our caches has been found again.... 25 feet from where it was originally hidden.. totally different spot etc... Why do cachers choose to rehide caches in different places and what is the record for the longest lost and found cache??? MaxKim

Edited by maxkim

Actually, I saw this in action last weekend at the Mega Camping event.

Up on the dunes, there was a cache. Only the first person in a group found it, signed it, gave it to the next person and wandered off. The next person signed it, passed it on and wandered off and so on.

You can imagine that by the time the 30th person signed it, they had absolutely no idea where it came from. In fact, they probably didn't even know what the cache was never mind the hint.

I'm not saying that was a bad thing - it made rather interesting watching (I watched some cachers later on spend about 20 minutes searching)

It was like "Chinese Whisper Caching".....

Edited by The Other Stu

Actually, I saw this in action last weekend at the Mega Camping event.

Up on the dunes, there was a cache. Only the first person in a group found it, signed it, gave it to the next person and wandered off. The next person signed it, passed it on and wandered off and so on.

You can imagine that by the time the 30th person signed it, they had absolutely no idea where it came from. In fact, they probably didn't even know what the cache was never mind the hint.

I'm not saying that was a bad thing - it made rather interesting watching (I watched some cachers later on spend about 20 minutes searching)

It was like "Chinese Whisper Caching".....

That's one of the few good things about caching alone, you find it and you rehide it. I am not keen on huge groups of people passing the cache around for signing, it takes the fun out of it.

On the other hand, if you are struggling there's more than one pair of hands in the gorse bush :laughing:

Got an email from GC HQ that one of my caches (GC1045H) was found so i disabled it and went to collect it today from the chap who found it (Thanks :D ).

It turned out to be a cache that went missing in december with a geocoin in it.

It managed to get into the river 200ft away float about 3 mile down river to another weir at Totnes where it was found by 2 girls who signed the log and threw it back into the river (Probably thought that was it's mission)

Then drifted for another 4 mile to be found after 8 months by a dog while on a boat with his owner out fishing.

He contacted GC HQ :rolleyes: who used the info on the geocoin to to find the cache owner :huh::D

A cacher contacted me today saying they had found one of our caches 100 metres from the published co-ords. It turned out to be the original cache which we had to replace when it went missing 2 years 4 months ago. Apparently it has been signed by a lot of muggles, so I'm looking forward to getting the log book back.

Not the most exciting story, but strange that this should happen the same day as I noticed this thread.