GPS problems by 2010 is it true

The last sentence in the article did seem a little reassuring: You can bet that even though they might not care about your iPhone, they're not going to let a situation arise where military tech stops working.

But the rest of the article didn't have much good news for geocaching.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Ok here is a LINK to one of the many people saying we are going to have GPS problems by 2010. this could have a big impact on the geocaching community. So what we want to know is will it happen or do we just have another scare like Y2K.

Cachensfun

Ain't going to happen. How would be be able to bomb those pesky terrorists without a gps?

Jim

Quick answer to your question: NO.

Long answer:

This topic has been brought up several times since the alarmist stories began a few months ago. The truth is, the U.S. military could not possibly afford that to happen. Yes, they are behind schedule on updates to the system but it will get done and contrary to the opinion put forth in some articles, there is no written-in-stone end of life for the GPS constellation. Most satellites will likely continue to operate just fine until they are replaced.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2005/12/30/first-...lites-launched/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation)

Those two links might put your mind a ease. US Military always was the owner of GPS and IF they shut it off, you don't want to be inside an airplane for sure.

The European community launched a first GPS Satellite back in 2005 already and if you Google some more you will find more detailed information on the projects about GPS.

IF US Military switches GPS off or change their signal, it shouldn't take longer then 24hrs to have a new fix on non-US satellites.

IF US Military switches GPS off or change their signal, it shouldn't take longer then 24hrs to have a new fix on non-US satellites.

The various GNSS systems (Galileo, GLONASS, COMPASS, etc.) all use technologies that vary from NAVSTAR (US military GPS). This is how the ever coveted promise of real time differential correction to sub meter accuracy is possible. A standard GPS isn't going to be able to work with any other GNSS satellites if NAVSTAR instantly went offline. At some point in the next decade, it will almost assuredly be possible but not with existing equipment.

I'm not terribly worried about outages on our current system. Government agencies get funding by creating a fear of a looming crisis. That's just how they operate.

Ok here is a LINK to one of the many people saying we are going to have GPS problems by 2010. this could have a big impact on the geocaching community. So what we want to know is will it happen or do we just have another scare like Y2K.

Cachensfun

Ain't going to happen. How would be be able to bomb those pesky terrorists without a gps?

Jim

My Crystal Ball is out with my bumpers being rechromed.

In the meantime, I'll get back to you after I cook up my next pot of tea............ :D

There are other aplications besides Geocaching and the Military. surveyors, contsruction rely on GPS for doing there work. They just lined a 36 mile canal near us it was all GPS surveyed for proper slope.

Airliners, truckers, emergency services, ships and the shipping industry as a whole, the list just goes on and on. But of course the ones with most interest is the military, it is after all their system.

Jim