Going Paperless

myrtlefamily

What is the best way for me to get Cache "info" using the 60CSx and / or my Blackberry Curve? I have transferred the waypoints to my GPS but don't get the info. Of course, I'm not sure what all of the options mean. I could navigate using the internet on my phone, but it takes some time.

So, I have taken to printing the info prior to heading out. Seems like a waste.

I know there is an easier way.

I use a program called CacheBerry (www.cacheberry.com) on my Pearl. It is fantastic and only costs like $15 with updates for life. It can work great in conjunction with GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to manage all your caches. I have been totally paperless for over a year and I love it.

GeePa

you know, I dug out my old Palm to attempt this and after downloading GSAK and talking with other cachers and searching the threads, I just decided to forget it. When I get a GPS that has the function, then I'll use it, but for now, all the converting and stuff just seemed too much. What I do takes some work too, but to me gives me greater freedom. I copy and paste the cache listing into a word file (without the logs...use the simple view button). I put as many on one document as I want to do. Then go back and quickly edit them; deleting the info or pics that I don't need or want. Can reduce it down to a listing that is pretty bare, but with all that I need. Waste paper? YES.... WASTE INK....YES.... Saves me other aggravation? Sure does! Plus it gets me more familar with the cache data, which is just a personal bonus for me.

you know, I dug out my old Palm to attempt this and after downloading GSAK and talking with other cachers and searching the threads, I just decided to forget it. When I get a GPS that has the function, then I'll use it, but for now, all the converting and stuff just seemed too much. What I do takes some work too, but to me gives me greater freedom. I copy and paste the cache listing into a word file (without the logs...use the simple view button). I put as many on one document as I want to do. Then go back and quickly edit them; deleting the info or pics that I don't need or want. Can reduce it down to a listing that is pretty bare, but with all that I need. Waste paper? YES.... WASTE INK....YES.... Saves me other aggravation? Sure does! Plus it gets me more familar with the cache data, which is just a personal bonus for me.

Well actually, a program like Cachemate is really easy to use, it even comes with it's own loading program called CMconvert so you don't "need" to use something like GSAK (although GSAK is much more powerful!).

- Run CMconvert, tell it where your .GPX file is. It automatically generates a .PRC file for your Palm

- do a Hotsync on the Palm.

You're DONE! :blink: 500 Geocaches are instantly in your Palm/pocket!

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread! I just wanted to clarify this detail.

Add me as another vote for CacheBerry on the BlackBerry. Works great with GPX files for loading lots of data, and can also be used with the BlackBerry browser to load caches one at a time. In the latest betas, there's pretty good support for adding waypoints, great for multis and mystery caches. Definitely worth the $15.

Add me as another vote for CacheBerry on the BlackBerry. Works great with GPX files for loading lots of data, and can also be used with the BlackBerry browser to load caches one at a time. In the latest betas, there's pretty good support for adding waypoints, great for multis and mystery caches. Definitely worth the $15.

I have just started my searches, Had an old gps laying around, needed a new phone so I got a blackberry 8330 ( bell network in Canada) has built in gps no monthly fees to activate it. was doing the loc thing just went to premium membership and cacheberry. I could not be happier! It has been an easy transition for me. Cacheberry had a 30 day free trial and I bought it after 7, I would normaly take the 30 days to make sure but I was that happy with it . Under $50 for premium and program for hours of family enjoyment cost of a night out at the movies!

What is the best way for me to get Cache "info" using the 60CSx and / or my Blackberry Curve? I have transferred the waypoints to my GPS but don't get the info. Of course, I'm not sure what all of the options mean. I could navigate using the internet on my phone, but it takes some time.

So, I have taken to printing the info prior to heading out. Seems like a waste.

I know there is an easier way.

I have the same set up that you do with the exception of my Blackberry being the World Addition rather then the Curve, there is probably a way to do it but then you did ask for the easiest, so I would say go get yourself a Garmin Colorado 400T then coupled with GSAK you can download 100s of caches that will give you all the info that you see on the cache page. but it will only give you the last 5 finds of the cache and but other then that you would be paperless.

Hope that helps if I repeated what someone else has already posted I apologize as I didn't read all the posts.

My Bad.

ScubaSonic

I copy and paste the cache listing into a word file (without the logs...use the simple view button). I put as many on one document as I want to do. Then go back and quickly edit them; deleting the info or pics that I don't need or want.

I do the same but lately i've also been using the http://wap.geocaching.com off of my phone more (samsung instinct), I've bookmarked it for easy reference, I can get descriptions, hints, logs, etc and doesn't use as much battery power as the internet on my phone.

While it is easier and quicker to have print outs, this seems to be really handy as well, I can do just print an overview map of the caches i'm going for and i can pull up the cache info on my phone for the details.

I am another user of Cacheberry with a Blackberry curve, couldn't be happier!

Spent yesterday on a caching trip, before I started got 500 caches near to my starting point, had them sent as an email, saved the file on the Blackberry then imported them. On arrival sorted them by my location, picked up the first one and followed the compass. I have set mine to play a sound at GZ, 3 times yesterday looked around me without moving and there it was!