Comparing maps out of the box: PN-40 vs 400t

I'm still looking at the differences between the PN-40 and some flavor of Oregon. For comparison purposes, let's say the 400t.

1) Maps change over time. Errors are corrected, roads and trails are added, bridges wash out, etc. When the maps need to be updated, do you need to buy new maps, or is there a provision for downloading updates? If so, do you have to pay for the updates?

2) Both units come with 100k topo maps. At that level of detail, is there any discernible difference between the two? Is one more useful than the other, or more accurate than the other?

3) For PC-based mapping and pre-trip planning, I believe the PN-40 comes with Topo 8 software. I understand the 400t maps cannot be viewed on the PC (without some kind of hack) and that there is no external mapping software included. For this, you need to buy mapsource to get a compatible mapping program. Is this correct?

4) Are both map sets routable? Or does the Oregon require City Nav for routing? I know the Oregon supports routing, but it is not clear if the included map supports it. (Yes, I know neither unit speaks)

For now, let's limit this discussion to the 100k maps and software that are included with the units. I have lots of questions about add-on maps as well, but that's a whole 'nother topic. I will post those questions later.

Each edition of DeLorme's Topo USA series includes corrections and revisions from the previous. As such, streets in my neighborhood which were off in Topo 6 were substantially corrected in Topo 7.

AFAIK, there were not intervening updates.

IIRC, the new edtitions are $100 for the USA. However, half the US could be bought for $50.

When one can plan in advance, it is best to have the Topo 8, or other, installed on your PC for road routing.

Road routing can be accomplished on the PN-40 but is quicker on a PC for transfer to the handheld.

And, yes, everything is in the box with the PN-40. There is no other third party software to buy or download.

2) No. I have both a Colorado 400t and a PN-40. Believe the CO maps are similar if not identical to OR.

3) Yes.

4) No. You need City Navigator if you want routable capabilities. In addition, the vector streets data on the Colorado (can't speak to the Oregon) is notoriously inaccurate.

I don't know about (1) for Colorado or Oregon. I have never seen a CO firmware rev that contained mapping mapping info. See Cowboy Papa's response for the PN-40.

You have to pay for map upgrades for virtually every gps product I’ve found to date. Many programs give free updates to the basic program, but make you pay for actual updates to the street data. Having used both Delorme and Garmin Topo (The version of Garmin software that is now refered to as 2008) software for almost ten years now I’ve only seen Garmin update their topo data 3 times, delorme a couple more than that. Both are quite old and outdated.

Geological data for both products is quite similar with which being better one of those depends things.. Maps vary by area, so it’s best to check the area you’ll be in most to see if you prefer one over the other. Both products use primarily Census bureau “Tiger” map data for their street info, with delorme appearing to have made some minor updates in a few areas. The data can be spot on is some regions, but contains wild errors in much of the country. Delorme attempts to provide routing with this data, garmin units only route with the more current and accurate additional street data they will sell you for about a hundred bucks. If you’re used to finding your way around with a dedicated street navigation program, you’ll probably find both products painful to use thanks to the street data age and error issues.

Just to add to the fun of your decision process, another thing you might want to consider are separate units for vehicle and handheld use. You can get a nice Nuvi unit with up to date street software for little more than the price of the street navigation software if you watch for sales. Handheld units can often be found at similar discounts if you keep your eyes open, with packages containing topo software often being available for excellent prices.

Searching-ut makes a good point about separate units, something you should consider if both off-road use and road navigation are of equal importance. You can get the lowest end Nui for just a little more than the cost of Garmin's City Navigator street maps. Even the lowest end Nuvi is still far better for street routing than any handheld due to it's interface and spoken directions which are much easier to hear and understand than the beeps from an off-road device. Of course the Nuvi's not a good option for navigating off road. For that you definately want a more rugged handheld.

One other difference between Garmin and Delorme you may want to consider: Purchased Garmin maps are locked to only one Garmin device. If you buy a second Garmin and wanted City Navigator on both, you would have to buy another copy. Since each PN comes with all the maps, that's not really an issue.

Thanks, guys, this is very helpful. My interest in routing was more for pre-trip planning than for actually getting me there. Once on the road, I have GPS in the car, so I don't really need it for driving directions.

One more question - Are the 100k topo maps adequate for caching, or will I end up eventually wanting the 24k maps? I prefer caching in the woods, but am not likely to take really long hikes. Also keep in mind that I am currently using an old Magellan, so I have no topo at all.

One more question - Are the 100k topo maps adequate for caching, or will I end up eventually wanting the 24k maps? I prefer caching in the woods, but am not likely to take really long hikes. Also keep in mind that I am currently using an old Magellan, so I have no topo at all.

Yes, the 1:100K topos are fine for caching in areas where topo data is useful at all. I'd want 1:24K for serious back country navigation, though.

Yes, the 1:100K topos are fine for caching in areas where topo data is useful at all. I'd want 1:24K for serious back country navigation, though.

The 1:24K USGS TopoQuads are available for the PN-20/30/40 are available from DeLorme for download in unlimited quantity for an annual subscription fee of $30.

A $40 value, free sample certificate for these maps is included in the box, as noted in the topic title.

No third party software, non-DeLorme websites, or out of the box, software needed.

If you have CN on a SD card, no, you cannot write to that and you'll have to swap cards. If CN is on a DVD and you're loading to your own SD card, then yes, you can load as many different maps as you wish; within the size limit of your chip and the 2025 segment limit.

PS: I don't find the display of the CN maps to be visually helpful either, but its surprising what roads it will find when routing.

EDIT: Add PS

Edited by JBnW

If you have CN on a SD card, no, you cannot write to that and you'll have to swap cards. If CN is on a DVD and you're loading to your own SD card, then yes, you can load as many different maps as you wish; within the size limit of your chip and the 2025 segment limit.

PS: I don't find the display of the CN maps to be visually helpful either, but its surprising what roads it will find when routing.

EDIT: Add PS

I can't load it to internal memory and still use the CN card?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I think this will likely be important for the OP if she decides on buying Garmin.

I have City Nav loaded on the 300 and am not impressed with the maps. Can I load multiple maps (from gpsfiledepot and CN) on this and still have navigation?

CN is just road maps, they are very good at what they are, but they are what they are. You can also load gpsfiledepot maps to the unit and have both. Did you get CN on datacard or DVD?

If you got the datacard version, you will most likely also need MapSource. Follow BOTH the steps here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...-with-your-gps/

Instructions for loading maps are here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...armin-gps-unit/

Load the maps to your internal memory.

Edited by coggins

Yeah, but with Garmin you can use maps for other countries. Kinda handy.

Handy, yes, but not the most important criteria on my list. I will pick the unit that I think will do best for me on a day to day basis. If that one also allows for foreign travel, that's great, but I can't see basing my decision on something that might never happen. YMMV. p.s. I think Topo8 does include at least parts of Canada.

Handy, yes, but not the most important criteria on my list. I will pick the unit that I think will do best for me on a day to day basis. If that one also allows for foreign travel, that's great, but I can't see basing my decision on something that might never happen. YMMV. p.s. I think Topo8 does include at least parts of Canada.

Routable maps for both Canada and Mexico are included with TOPO 8, but those maps are NOT TOPO (Canada and Mexico)...if that matters much!

I am truly not impressed with the maps of CN, but the routing is great, much like a regular car nav. Personally, if I were worried about nav though, I would buy a car nav...the handhelds are not as good as a dedicated car nav system in that it doesn't talk to you...

One other thing I dislike about the Oregon is the cover for the USB port...seems to be a weak link to me, I can't keep mine shut and this means it is NOT waterproof. I will be using mine for kayaking and I KNOW the PN-40 is waterproof due to some serious testing in that area!

My experiences thus far leads me to wanting my PN-40 back, but testing will be extensive in the next week...more to come!

Routable maps for both Canada and Mexico are included with TOPO 8, but those maps are NOT TOPO (Canada and Mexico)...if that matters much!

I am truly not impressed with the maps of CN, but the routing is great, much like a regular car nav. Personally, if I were worried about nav though, I would buy a car nav...the handhelds are not as good as a dedicated car nav system in that it doesn't talk to you...

One other thing I dislike about the Oregon is the cover for the USB port...seems to be a weak link to me, I can't keep mine shut and this means it is NOT waterproof. I will be using mine for kayaking and I KNOW the PN-40 is waterproof due to some serious testing in that area!

My experiences thus far leads me to wanting my PN-40 back, but testing will be extensive in the next week...more to come!

You are right about the road routing. I have 2 PN-40's and love them but for road I have a Nuvi 500. I really like this because of the caching mode.I did have a Nuvi 205W which did work good with the macro. I saved and got the 500, it works better for routing to the caches. The -40 reroutes slow but does do the job.

Edited by The Yinnie's