Frustrated NOOB!

TrickRick

Hi everyone,

I have two new GS units....yeah, I'm already hooked!

I have a Garmin NUVI 1200 and a Garmin Etrex Summit HC and can't seem to fina a software program that will work with both units at the same time. I have tried both Easy GPS and GSAK and each works with one and not the other, so trying to use a unit in my vehicle and useing a handheld once I get close isn't working :-(

Thanks for any help that you can give!

Hi everyone,

I have a Garmin NUVI 1200 and a Garmin Etrex Summit HC and can't seem to fina a software program that will work with both units at the same time. I have tried both Easy GPS and GSAK and each works with one and not the other, so trying to use a unit in my vehicle and useing a handheld once I get close isn't working :-(

what is the problem with the nuvi with GSAK?

Jim

PS: I did see you asked over on the GSAK forum, you were given some things to try and you never responded. Your probably a lot better off staying over there and if need be work with Clyde to get the problem resolved. If need be he can get Robert Lipe involved. I really think your best shot on getting it all to work is to continue on the GSAK forum and not jump from forum to forum.

Edited by jholly

Hi everyone,

Thanks Jholly,

I did in fact post at GSAK as well, and did try the macro idea.....still can't get it to work.

In GSAK it does not recognize a nuvi 1200, and after trying several of the other models with no luck I gave up..... Of course I am just impatient I geuess, it is frustrating to have 2 units that I can't get the same info on.

Thanks for your reply!

Hi everyone,

Thanks Jholly,

I did in fact post at GSAK as well, and did try the macro idea.....still can't get it to work.

In GSAK it does not recognize a nuvi 1200, and after trying several of the other models with no luck I gave up..... Of course I am just impatient I geuess, it is frustrating to have 2 units that I can't get the same info on.

Thanks for your reply!

Well then go back to the GSAK forum and report what you found. If you stick with it you will get it to work.

Jim

I dont understand the need for both really. I personally would simplify

OHHHH. I could not live without my NUVI and my OR! I navigated streets with the MAP60 and the Oregon (and sigh, n-route) for a year before getting the NUVI. Like my AM card....don't leave home without it/them now. LOL

I agree with previous posters that GSAK will work for you. Keep in those forums and someone will make a macro or direct you to one that will work.

Conrats on the new GPSr's and welcome!

Pilotsnipes had stopped updating his macro, so you should try the jjred advanced Nuvi macro. Better chance of getting support for the newer Nuvi. And definitely ask on the GSAK forums. Those guys are really helpful and respond fast.

And like busterbabes, I wouldn't go geocaching without my Nuvi and my handheld, if I can help it. Spoken directions is fantastic in a car unit, and the large screen helps too. Loaded with custom POI for the geocaches, I can review the description for urban hides before getting out of the car.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state the obvious.. How about MapSource that came with the units?

I use GSAK on both the 60csx and Quest II. I will use GSAK on the 60 and turn around and use MapSource on the Quest II since the details on the Quest II do not have to be that much (for me).

Should have gotten a Garmin Map 60 CSx....What was I thinking? Good luck

As a couple of people had noted, being able to "drive" to a spot, then get out of the vehicle and walk using the hand held seems to work great. Since I sometimes cover a 1000 miles a week, the more I keep my eyes on the road the safer we all are.

Besides, how else can you drink a soda, eat and burger and talk on the cellphone! LOL

As I am learning my Nuvi only looks like it will hold 20 caches, which today I used the coords from my Etrex, keyed into the vehicle to hunt with.

Then, I just got the geocaching app for my IPod touch so I can go wireless!

As I am learning my Nuvi only looks like it will hold 20 caches, which today I used the coords from my Etrex, keyed into the vehicle to hunt with.

Then, I just got the geocaching app for my IPod touch so I can go wireless!

I'm pretty sure it can hold more than that. Anyway, have you tried out the GSAK macro to load caches as custom POI?