Reviews - who do you trust?

Every now and then someone comes in here looking for direction on whether they should buy Brand X or Brand Y. This is silly, because every such discussion degenerates into something akin to Lilliput and Blefuscu* arguing over which end of the device should have the lanyard connection, or what type of USB connection is better.

So let's argue about something different for a change -- where do you go for GPS product reviews that you can trust, that don't seem biased to any specific brand or model?

* See Gulliver's Travel's, chapter 4.

Edited by lee_rimar

Every now and then someone comes in here looking for direction on whether they should buy Brand X or Brand Y. This is silly, because every such discussion degenerates into something akin to Lilliput and Blefuscu* arguing over which end of the device should have the lanyard connection, or what type of USB connection is better.

So let's argue about something different for a change -- where do you go for GPS product reviews that you can trust, that don't seem biased to any specific brand or model?

These squabbles are usually the result of someone badmouthing the unit in question, giving false info or just being snippety. It seems to happen a lot here since people are brand loyal and can't give unbiased opinions, it happens!

I personally take any info found in these forums with a grain of salt and TRY (I stress try as I am not perfect lol) to give honest and unbiased opinion taken from my experience with my favorite unit (DeLorme PN-40). Having read a lot of info from this forums about other units, I can give a basic opinion of others, but this is merely what I have read as opposed to my personal experiences.

If everyone did this and shied away from the snarky rebuttals, the gross misinformation and such, I think these forums would and is a fairly good place to get info. I have learned a bit here and hope that others can as well.

It's not silly and most of the discussions are not arguments about which is better.

I say this is the best place to get real life opinions about past, present and newly released GPSrs.

When I give an opinion, it is based on my own personal experiences with the units. Sorry if some take offense at that but I speak what I know.

Much like bluedeuce - I think these forums are full of lots of useful information if you read through several topics and realize that everybody has a few built-in bias points.

It's not silly and most of the discussions are not arguments about which is better.

I say this is the best place to get real life opinions about past, present and newly released GPSrs.

So true. Most arguments start when someone misrepresents, misinforms or just throws out snipes.

I come here. Reviews are subjective and biased but they also contain useful information. It's important to know what your specific wants and needs are before you begin looking for a GPS. Once you know, do some brand research and find out which devices offer what you need. User reviews are helpful in determining how well a device does what they are suppose to do.

In addition to the forums, I'd stick to the outdoor publications you trust. General-interest and consumer advocacy publications generally do not cover enough detail to be useful and may contain a certain amount of misinformation. For example, I like Consumer Reports reviews for things they understand (like cars and appliances). But their reviews of handheld GPSrs were sorely lacking.

Blogs can also be useful. For example, if you are interested in Garmin units, I recommend Scott's blog.

Google.

Google, google, google, google, more google, yet more google, even more google, still more google, and eventually you'll have read enough reviews and opinions that when you read one talking about whether the buttons are in the right place you'll know that most people think they're fine, or they should be inside out, or whatever ...

I spent about 2 months trawling the googlesphere before I took the plunge and bought my Oregon. By the end of it I might not be able to remember where I'd read something but by hokey I could tell you both sides of the arguements about the screen / battery life / accuracy / etc etc, and which side most people were coming down on ...

Gary

One of the biggest problem areas in comparing this technology is, apparently the modern day assembly line isn't very good at creating identical clone carbon copy units even of the exact same brand/model.

It's clear in many previous discussions that one person's brand/model XXX is able to have decidedly different performance characteristics compared to another person identical model,, even if both have the same firmware and running fresh batteries.

It's kinda weird in this day & age, most modern electronic devices DO come off the assembly line all identical, but not GPSr's(??)

Edited by NordicMan

One of the biggest problem areas in comparing this technology is, apparently the modern day assembly line isn't very good at creating identical clone carbon copy units even of the exact same brand/model.

It's clear in many previous discussions that one person's brand/model XXX is able to have decidedly different performance characteristics compared to another person identical model,, even if both have the same firmware and running fresh batteries.

It's kinda weird in this day & age, most modern electronic devices DO come off the assembly line all identical, but not GPSr's(??)

You obviously haven't worked with Dell, HP or Gateway products. :blink: I have seen "clones" of these come off the assembly line with the same exact model number but will have different components built in. Looking at a Dell, it can ship with three different network cards, 2 different audio cards and 2 different video cards in any combination of these components. HP and Gateway are no different. Even then, one computer that is the exact carbon copy compoenent for component and app for app with the same service packs will have different problems.

I can say without reservation GPS receivers do not own the corner on this.

All reviews I read from publications are typically taken with a grain of salt. Most quote specs and base their reviews on that with a quick jaunt outside their door to verify it actually works. I look for reviews that will do side-by-side comparison with known models and under real conditions people expect to use them with.

In here, there are a few people I trust to give valid reviews based on their experiences compared to mine. But again, it is taken with a grain of salt. Not because I don't trust them completely, but because the final say is still mine, for me.

I base my reviews based on my personal research (until my assumptions based on my research are corrected) and ultimately my real life experiences. And again, because my reviews are based on my needs and expectations, I expect a little salt tossed in my direction as well.

Edited by TotemLake

Between mid-July reviews and now, I purchased an Oregon 550t based on questions I asked here. And my mind was set after reading the below reviews from g-o-cashers links...thx again, the 550t kicks some serious cache

QUOTE(g-o-cashers @ Jul 15 2009, 05:09 PM)

You can see my recent posts on the unit here. I've been impressed so far and I'm really liking the integrated geotagging -- I can see lots of uses for geocachers in particular. And the 5000 geocache limit is pretty nice as well.

http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-550t-first-impression/

http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-oregon-550t-second-impression/

I'll take this chance to make something clear...I am about as non-biased as you can get. If the PN-40 I own wasn't as good as it is, you'd KNOW it because I would be reporting my experiences just as I have been all along. I do not play favoritism because of brand loyalty or any other foolishness, I tell it exactly as I see it. If you don't want my truthful thoughts, ignore my posts, but realize I DO tell it exactly as I see it!

Friends who have used the devices. I get asked opinions all the time offline so I guess it's a common route.

I recommend the device that suits them.. they get excited about imagery? Obvious choice. Excited about road navigation? Obvious choice. Leaving the US? Obvious choice. Orange fetish? Obvious choice.

Finding good reviews isn't easy, primarily because it's hard to find others that use their receiver in the same way you're going to. Myself, I like GPSinformation.net, which I've just been reviewing trying to decide on my next purchase. I'm not sure if I want to go with a Dakota, or Oregon unit. Looking at their review on the 550, it appears that review was performed by one of our local Salt Lake City TV news reporters. I found that kind of interesting. Jack and Joe used to do most of the reviews, but now it appears they are mostly guest reviews.

Other things I look at: Fanboy's. I try to disregard these individuals as they seem motivated by who knows what. I also try to disregard those that complain about something without giving a reason why. I also try and rule out individuals who haven't used a range of different units. Other than that, you just try and sort through the meat, how it applies to the way you'll being using it, and whether the individual appears to be the sort that would notice the same things you might see. There are quite a few individuals on this very forum who's oppinions I value, but I think naming name might not be a smart move. It would be far to easy to have un intended consequences, and of cours hurt feelers.

Love the orange fetish comment! :lol:

Most of the review sites mentioned are good, knowledgeable, and largely unbiased. Given our interest in geocaching (rather than travel per se), GPSr specific sites tend to be more knowledgeable/hands-on than the consumer type sites/magazines.

I don't recall an event where the topic of GPS devices wasn't discussed. When I'm asked, the first words out of my mouth are to ask them what features are important to them and how they intend to use the GPSr. When they respond "I want a good one that will last" I walk them through mapping, paperless, touchscreen, etc. options and the resulting price range. To the extent my wife and I own one of the devices they are considering, I invite them out to cache and let them use it. As we cache, I'll coach them through the device demonstrating its pros and over-stressing its cons. I personally feel that is the best way to buy a GPSr. I strongly encourage those in the market to get with someone of similar background/caching style and go to school on them. To me, that's much better than an online review. As someone who has been burned myself, there's just too much at stake in terms of caching enjoyment, reliability, and even safety by choosing the wrong GPSr.

Personally, the last place I would look for advice is these forums. The story and the resulting flame wars are generally the same ... usually with the same participants. As Maingray eloquently once put it, I don't trust anyone with a high forum post count to geocache find ratio. Likewise, look to those who do not have a vested interest in one brand (e.g., beta testers getting free hardware). Lastly, look to those who have been heavy users of multiple brands (my wife and I have found over 1000 caches each with a Magellan, Garmin, and DeLorme). In addition to caching, we have used all 3 for travel routing and have called tech support for all 3. Look around, there are others just like us ... just explore your advice giver's background upfront!

One final thought ... if you're comfy with a PC, then review the geocaching community's 3rd party software support for a given GPSr. Some of the devices out there require proprietary software from the manufacturer to load geocaches. Others are open, strongly supported, and can be loaded simply by dragging a downloaded pocket query GPX to the GPSr drive icon in the Windows file manager.

[Edit: Corrected typo ... still working on my first cup of coffee :D ]

Edited by Tigerz

Personally, the last place I would look for advice is these forums. The story and the resulting flame wars are generally the same ... usually with the same participants. As Maingray eloquently once put it, I don't trust anyone with a high forum post count to geocache find ratio. Likewise, look to those who do not have a vested interest in one brand (e.g., beta testers getting free hardware). Lastly, look to those who have been heavy users of multiple brands (my wife and I have found over 1000 caches each with a Magellan, Garmin, and DeLorme). In addition to caching, we have used all 3 for travel routing and have called tech support for all 3. Look around, there are others just like us ... just explore your advice giver's background upfront!

:lol: High post count to geocache finds ratio does not necessarily mean less experience with GPS usage. The passing on of this bias is offensive. :D

:D High post count to geocache finds ratio does not necessarily mean less experience with GPS usage. The passing on of this bias is offensive. :)

These forums are an excellent source of information as long as you keep your salt shaker handy. You learn very quickly who needs a grain of salt, and who needs the whole shaker. :D And who needs to have a whole block of salt dropped on their head. :lol:

...High post count to geocache finds ratio does not necessarily mean less experience with GPS usage. ...
I agree.

I use GPS for travel, hiking, and cycling far more than I cache. I also work for some folks who have more than a passing interest in GPS and maps. The count of different GPS units I've owned or extensively used probably exceeds how many caches I've found. Which means:

- I'm probably not a reliable/useful source of info on how to find a cache.

- I'm possibly a reliable/useful source of info on GPS units.

And even as big as my ego is, I don't expect anyone to take my word for anything :lol:

Edited by lee_rimar
...The passing on of this bias is offensive :lol:
An aftethought... You WOULD say that :D A quick spot check on three of my favorite posters here ...

Me: 48.76 posts per find, 1.78 posts per day

Totem_Lake: 21.24 p/f, 3.21 p/d

Rockin Roddy: 6.56 p/f, 5.6 p/d

Edited by lee_rimar

Love the orange fetish comment! :lol:

.... As Maingray eloquently once put it, I don't trust anyone with a high forum post count to geocache find ratio. .......

My initial thought when reading that statement was why would anyone put much significance in using GPS for geocaching. After thinking about it a moment, I’ve surmised it’s probably due to the original poster having a very different usage for hand held GPS units than what I would think of them being used for. This leads me to the question of does anyone know where there might be some data on handheld GPS users use patterns?

Myself, I would think I use my handhelds for geocaching less than 5 percent of my total usage. I generally use Geocaching as a safe, noncritical use of a new unit as I’m checking it out prior to using it for anything important so to speak. For the most part, I pretty much quit caching years ago for the sake of simply geocaching, and hence don’t use my units much for that. I still use my Garmin 305 for fitness training a great deal, my Nuvis and street pilot still get a great workout, and of course the VistaC despite being beaten into submission still leads me on outdoor adventures on a very regular basis. I rely on the old GPS III+ to navigate my boat through the canyons of Lake Powell as I return to camp after dark, having found the older unit to be less prone to offset tracks in areas like this than what you sometime experience multipath reception problems with newer more sensitive units.

As for the uses others put their units too… I happen to work where I encounter a great number of people on a regular basis, many of whom are outdoor adventure types. Of what must be 100 plus users of handheld GPS units I’m familiar with, none geocache, or at least are regular geocachers. What I do hear about people using their GPS units for are Snowmobile riding and quad runner exploring, as these people don’t seem to like to get lost for some reason. The hunting crowds are quite adept at using them as are the hikers/backpackers. The mountain bikers and trail runners also seem quite proficient with utilizing an assortment of GPS units, but again, geocachers seem to be a very small minority, somewhere below the photography buffs using gps for geotagging from what I’ve seen. I personally know of a lot of people who can walk you me through using Topofusion to build a trail network, or how to set up a training log in sportaks, but virtually no one who could help me out with GSAK, or something similar.

What are other peoples experiences regarding hand held GPS usage? I know this is a Geocaching board, but is this the primary use you have for your units?

We were looking for debate weren't we?

...The passing on of this bias is offensive :huh:
An aftethought... You WOULD say that :yikes: A quick spot check on three of my favorite posters here ...

I was wondering when someone would point that out. :)

But I'm the type of guy that looks at two sides of a coin.

I can easily come up with a statement that shows how fickle multiple model owners are and can't seem to find the right unit to do the complete job, and how their indiscriminate cache hunts are all about the numbers and has nothing to do with quality so it would be easy to surmise the level of noise their opinion really has over the quality of it. :laughing:

I don't make that above argument becasue I know some high number model owners and high cache finders and I would never hold that kind of opinion about them. Seriously, the above is just as arrogant a statement as Tigerz statement is and shows a total lack of understanding how people choose to play the game and socialize while trying to make their opinion more superior over others by using a slap down statement to undermine another's opinion. Call it what you will, but a skunk painted any other color still stinks.

...The passing on of this bias is offensive :laughing:
An aftethought... You WOULD say that :yikes: A quick spot check on three of my favorite posters here ...

Is it really fair count yourself amongst the 3 favorites??

My 12.2 posts per find suddenly looks semi-normal......... :huh:

This is great folks, we're all smiling, . . . except, maybe the skunks, but then they seldom do anyway.

To be honest : I'm thinking my list of 'palpably-believable-posters' sports very similar stats as Lee's.

Probably because "Caching" is subordinate to other uses on my list as well.

Cool more data noise to draw correlation from.

Norm