Newb striking out

BFGuru

Hi there, we just pulled out the gps for our iphone and decided to give this geocaching thing a try. We found a couple wypts nearby and went hunting. According to clues we were at the right place, even found what was supposed to be a decoy I suppose since in the logs on line it states it was right next to this particular item. However, on going back we still found nothing. So we tried a different wypt and again found nothing. I'm thinking perhaps I have no clue what we are looking for and that even thought they are listed as 1/1 difficulty level, I'm still too new to figure out what I'm doing. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not knowing what you are looking for is part of the challenge of this game. Caches come in all sizes and shapes...most are well disguised, camoflaged, and/or hidden. I recommend that you check on the size of the cache containers and concentrate on caches that are at least regular size or bigger until you get a few "under your belt" ...soon you'll learn to recognize what you're looking for. The size of the cache is noted under the cache page on the website. Also...your gps is not always going to put you right on the cache...it could be off by 15 -30 ft or more. Those satellites in the sky are always shifting positions. So expand your search outward from ground zero a ways. Good luck... and welcome to the adventure :P

Not knowing what you are looking for is part of the challenge of this game. Caches come in all sizes and shapes...most are well disguised, camoflaged, and/or hidden. I recommend that you check on the size of the cache containers and concentrate on caches that are at least regular size or bigger until you get a few "under your belt" ...soon you'll learn to recognize what you're looking for. The size of the cache is noted under the cache page on the website. Also...your gps is not always going to put you right on the cache...it could be off by 15 -30 ft or more. Those satellites in the sky are always shifting positions. So expand your search outward from ground zero a ways. Good luck... and welcome to the adventure :P

Thanks for the reply. So I'm probably simply not seeing it yet. For a bit there I was convinced they were both no longer there. I'll check out some larger caches and see what I come up with. I'm still working on the 1/1 levels though since I am doing this with my children. On the plus side, we did find lots of abandoned golfballs, which to a kid is just as great as finding a cache lol.

Hi I had a similiar post had starbrand post this

"Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!"

Edited by dakin55

The typical novice mistake is relying too much on the GPS. The average GPS is only accurate from between 10 and 30 feet. So was the GPS of the hider, so the cache can be as many as 40, 50 or more feet from where your GPS says it is. Add to that the fact that the GPS in the iPhone even less accurate than dedicated GPS units, it can compound the situation.

Hi there, we just pulled out the gps for our iphone and decided to give this geocaching thing a try. We found a couple wypts nearby and went hunting. According to clues we were at the right place, even found what was supposed to be a decoy I suppose since in the logs on line it states it was right next to this particular item. However, on going back we still found nothing. So we tried a different wypt and again found nothing. I'm thinking perhaps I have no clue what we are looking for and that even thought they are listed as 1/1 difficulty level, I'm still too new to figure out what I'm doing. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am a newbie also but I did start having better success once I started using the "Distance From" feature on my GPS.

Not knowing what you are looking for is part of the challenge of this game. Caches come in all sizes and shapes...most are well disguised, camoflaged, and/or hidden. I recommend that you check on the size of the cache containers and concentrate on caches that are at least regular size or bigger until you get a few "under your belt" ...soon you'll learn to recognize what you're looking for. The size of the cache is noted under the cache page on the website. Also...your gps is not always going to put you right on the cache...it could be off by 15 -30 ft or more. Those satellites in the sky are always shifting positions. So expand your search outward from ground zero a ways. Good luck... and welcome to the adventure :D

Thanks for the reply. So I'm probably simply not seeing it yet. For a bit there I was convinced they were both no longer there. I'll check out some larger caches and see what I come up with. I'm still working on the 1/1 levels though since I am doing this with my children. On the plus side, we did find lots of abandoned golfballs, which to a kid is just as great as finding a cache lol.

Having a better idea of what you are looking for is a HUGH part of the obsession sport. We noticed a log on a cache that we have yet to find that indicates a previous cacher was actually holding the cache in his hand, but didn't realize it.

We found the first one. Went back after considering all possible hiding spots. :lol:

I was ecstatic. The kids not so much as there was nothing but a log in the cache so we left a quarter for the next person. I think they prefer the golf balls from the first hunt we made that we have yet to find. LOL

Congrats on the find... I spent a good 30 minutes wandering around holding out my iPhone in the park before I figured out what we were even doing! We had a few DNFs on our first day out.

We've only been doing it a couple weeks, but it's amazing how much easier it is after the first dozen or so. You really start to get your "geo-senses".

We still have a long ways to go though!

Congrats on the find... I spent a good 30 minutes wandering around holding out my iPhone in the park before I figured out what we were even doing! We had a few DNFs on our first day out.

We've only been doing it a couple weeks, but it's amazing how much easier it is after the first dozen or so. You really start to get your "geo-senses".

We still have a long ways to go though!

Honestly I was amazed at how dead on the first one was. The second, was REALLY close. The only issue was it was exactly where it was, but the iphone had us across the street from it instead. It was directly across though. Crazy.