Letter to the editor

Lately I've been thinking about writing a letter to the editor of our local newspaper about geocaching, and how it can help benefit the community. Include any and all suggestions. I will include in the hypothetical (at this point) letter something about CITO, so I will be posting a separate topic in the CITO section of the forums for comment, like this.

Lately I've been thinking about writing a letter to the editor of our local newspaper about geocaching, and how it can help benefit the community. Include any and all suggestions. I will include in the hypothetical (at this point) letter something about CITO, so I will be posting a separate topic in the CITO section of the forums for comment, like this.

Whatever you do, don't mention that some geocachers have little respect for the terrain around a cache. Don't say that they might dismantle electrical boxes or sprinkler heads. Don't mention that they might cross onto private property or damage fences or harm trees, gardens, shrubs, etc.

I would leave that part out of it.

You could mention how geocachers sometimes cache in the wee hours of the night, giving a presence that would tend to keep criminals away, but don't mention that sometimes those cachers sport activity that looks suspicious (looking through bushes, etc in the dark).

You could point out how some municipalities have embraced geocaching and actually set up their own challenges. But I would leave out the part that shows how many law enforcement agencies are clueless and can't tell the difference between a micro marked on a map and an item that needs the bomb squad. That part is a little embarassing to law enforcement agencies.

Only show one side of the blade or you have no chance at support.

Whatever you do, don't mention that some geocachers have little respect for the terrain around a cache. Don't say that they might dismantle electrical boxes or sprinkler heads. Don't mention that they might cross onto private property or damage fences or harm trees, gardens, shrubs, etc.

You could mention how geocachers sometimes cache in the wee hours of the night, giving a presence that would tend to keep criminals away, but don't mention that sometimes those cachers sport activity that looks suspicious (looking through bushes, etc in the dark).

You could point out how some municipalities have embraced geocaching and actually set up their own challenges. But I would leave out the part that shows how many law enforcement agencies are clueless and can't tell the difference between a micro marked on a map and an item that needs the bomb squad. That part is a little embarassing to law enforcement agencies.

Are you really as angry and frustrated as you usually seem to be here in the forums? It must be very hard being an Über Genius. Kinda makes me glad that I am just part of the riff-raff. :D

OT: rather than writing a letter to the editor you might consider contacting the newspaper and asking if they would be interested in doing a story about geocaching. An interactive session may produce a better result and give you an opportunity to answer questions and dispel misconceptions.

Edited by WRASTRO

Are you really as angry and frustrated as you usually seem to be here in the forums? It must be very hard being an Über Genius. Kinda makes me glad that I am just part of the riff-raff. :D

OT: rather than writing a letter to the editor you might consider contacting the newspaper and asking if they would be interested in doing a story about geocaching. An interactive session may produce a better result and give you an opportunity to answer questions and dispel misconceptions.

Me? Angry and frustrated? Not in the least.

What part was incorrect in my reply? I believe the reply was completely on topic.

As for the continued jabs at my Uber Genius tag, why does it hurt you so? Are you so insecure that you need to ridicule people?

As for the continued jabs at my Uber Genius tag, why does it hurt you so? Are you so insecure that you need to ridicule people?

Sorry, but with that tag you open your self up for that, and seem to get defensive when others take the opening provided.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic:

I also vote to invite the reporter(s) to come out and meet more than one cacher, then take them on a "hunt", but make sure you check out the target caches first so there are no big surprises! Try not to play the CITO card too heavy, but make mention of all the positive aspects geocachers bring to the community.

Me? Angry and frustrated? Not in the least.

What part was incorrect in my reply? I believe the reply was completely on topic.

I did not indicate that any of your response was technically incorrect or off topic did I? It simply struck me as coming from someone who is angry and/or frustrated, as do many of your posts. Your tag does not hurt me in any way nor do I believe I ridiculed anyone. I made a simple observation. If you want to discuss ridiculing others I would suggest you take a look at your recent body of work here in the forums and engage in a bit of self-reflection. You seem to have a need to attack anyone who has the audacity to disagree with any opinion you offer up. I am not the first to try to make this point. Perhaps I am being more direct than others have been.

OT: I do not think that a letter to the editor would be the best venue for promoting our game. Personal contact would probably result in a more beneficial outcome.

Geocaching (JEE o CASH ing) is a sport much like hiking, biking, boating, fishing, hunting and golfing. It will let you play with technology and get you outdoors to visit so many fascinating new places. Geocachers use GPS receivers to look for hidden containers, geocaches, giving the feel of looking for pirate treasure. Although the treasure is NEVER buried and the value of the treasure hardly exceeds the value of the logbook within the hidden container. As with hiking, the joy comes not just from finding the hidden geocache, but also from the journey experienced while tracking it down. Geocachers get to visit historical sites, see wildlife in natural habitat, and behold awesome landscapes, sunsets and geological features.

The popularity of geocaching has been growing exponentially since it began in the year 2000, starting off with 75 geocaches back then and now spreading worldwide with over 8500 geocaches...over 85,000 geocaches...over 850,000 geocaches! No matter where you go, there is probably a geocache very nearby. The website Geocaching.com will let you key in your ZIP Code to see the geocache population near your own neighborhood. The geocaching community follows a code of ethics that promotes environmental responsibility. Check it out today at www.Geocaching.com. Geocacher cantuland is awesome.

Something like that. Feel free to plagiarize, change or add what you want. You might want to edit out that last sentence though before you send it off to the newspaper...but you don't have to.

-cantuland

Smart at you are, you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed at times. When I get a hangnail I don't cut off my hand to fix it. Do you know what I mean? Didn't think so.

I did not indicate that any of your response was technically incorrect or off topic did I? It simply struck me as coming from someone who is angry and/or frustrated, as do many of your posts. Your tag does not hurt me in any way nor do I believe I ridiculed anyone. I made a simple observation. If you want to discuss ridiculing others I would suggest you take a look at your recent body of work here in the forums and engage in a bit of self-reflection. You seem to have a need to attack anyone who has the audacity to disagree with any opinion you offer up. I am not the first to try to make this point. Perhaps I am being more direct than others have been.

OT: I do not think that a letter to the editor would be the best venue for promoting our game. Personal contact would probably result in a more beneficial outcome.

Next time, try sending me an email or is there an agenda with you doing your critique of me publicly?

Just curious is all. I'm sure there has to be a reason.

Next time, try sending me an email or is there an agenda with you doing your critique of me publicly?

No personal agenda whatsoever. You have no problem going after anyone and everyone in these forums. I don't need to email you directly to point out that your behavior here has been just a bit outside of the norm. Telling everyone who posts here that they are stupid if they disagree with you just isn't the best way to make friends or influence many in a positive manner. I am certainly not always right and I don't think you are either. I do think I am giving you some good advice here if you are willing to accept it. If more people are disagreeing with your opinions than are agreeing then you just might need to be reconsidering your opinions. I do speak from experience.

No personal agenda whatsoever. You have no problem going after anyone and everyone in these forums. I don't need to email you directly to point out that your behavior here has been just a bit outside of the norm. Telling everyone who posts here that they are stupid if they disagree with you just isn't the best way to make friends or influence many in a positive manner. I am certainly not always right and I don't think you are either. I do think I am giving you some good advice here if you are willing to accept it. If more people are disagreeing with your opinions than are agreeing then you just might need to be reconsidering your opinions. I do speak from experience.

My apologies for being outside the "norm". I was unaware that it was your job to correct my behavior.

I contacted you via Email (as I am sure you are aware).

I have never attacked anyone on any forum who was not attacking myself or another. So, while you may think I'm a kettle, I suggest you check to see if you are a pot.

I will not discuss this issue further in public. I will let your actions speak for themselves on all future personal attacks of me.

My apologies for being outside the "norm". I was unaware that it was your job to correct my behavior.

I contacted you via Email (as I am sure you are aware).

I have never attacked anyone on any forum who was not attacking myself or another. So, while you may think I'm a kettle, I suggest you check to see if you are a pot.

I will not discuss this issue further in public. I will let your actions speak for themselves on all future personal attacks of me.

Not my job to correct your behavior. I simply commented and made an observation. Haven't seen any email from you. I believe my actions and comments have all been perfectly fine. If they haven't I am certain others will let me know. Looking forward to hearing from you.

(Warning: This post is directed to the OP - I've skipped the other commentary for sanity's sake)

The story is a great idea (versus a letter to the editor). Maybe an e-mail to a reporter in the appropriate department for your local paper would do the trick.

I think I may consider a similar course of action locally myself. I've recently placed my first two caches that highlight a often overlooked part of our local state park (great hiking trails) so now may be a great time to get our paper involved. I'm also working on a community workshop to introduce this game (sport/hobby) to folks through the community college that I work at - so a story would kill two birds with one stone :D

Best o fluck

(Warning: This post is directed to the OP - I've skipped the other commentary for sanity's sake)

The story is a great idea (versus a letter to the editor). Maybe an e-mail to a reporter in the appropriate department for your local paper would do the trick.

I think I may consider a similar course of action locally myself. I've recently placed my first two caches that highlight a often overlooked part of our local state park (great hiking trails) so now may be a great time to get our paper involved. I'm also working on a community workshop to introduce this game (sport/hobby) to folks through the community college that I work at - so a story would kill two birds with one stone :(

Best o fluck

And if the paper doesn't print your story (or even if it does!) we will publish it in The Online Geocacher! :)<_<

Send it to TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com

Best o fluck to you, too! :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I think I may consider a similar course of action locally myself. I've recently placed my first two caches that highlight a often overlooked part of our local state park (great hiking trails) so now may be a great time to get our paper involved. I'm also working on a community workshop to introduce this game (sport/hobby) to folks through the community college that I work at - so a story would kill two birds with one stone :D

Best o fluck

Nice thinking.

Locally we have a community events person who somehow manages to cover everything going on. Perhaps the original poster has a similar section in the paper or a columnist who they can talk to who may do a write up. You would get a larger audience, more "authority" behind the story, and a bit more prominence.

Are you really as angry and frustrated as you usually seem to be here in the forums? It must be very hard being an Über Genius.

Hoo-Rah! You definitely hit the nail on the head with that post. Most every post is something about trying to blame fellow geo'ers for something he has no proof of, or writing stuff on property which doesn't belong to him, self-proclaiming himself a genious, trying to show where he's correct & every single other person is wrong, or just simple arguing.

P.S. No need to reply to this bittsen. I'm not going to give you the satisfaction & enjoyment of starting yet another argument. Just wanted to say that I have noticed the same thing as most everyone else has on this forum.

Have a nice day.