Garmin Colorado 300

Hi all

Last week my dad got me a Colorado 300. I really like it, however I can't figure out how to put geocaches in as normal waypoints (not sure if this is possible, but I think I read somewhere that you can). So I would like to know if I can do this.

I have mapsource topo canada, easy gps, GSAK, and the waypoint manager that came with my GPS ( if that helps).

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by ManicCacherChris

Hi all

Last week my dad got me a Colorado 300. I really like it, however I can't figure out how to put geocaches in as normal waypoints (not sure if this is possible, but I think I read somewhere that you can). So I would like to know if I can do this.

I have mapsource topo canada, easy gps, GSAK, and the waypoint manager that came with my GPS ( if that helps).

Thanks in Advance!

Is there a reason you do not want them to show up as a Geocache?

I made a mistake the first day I had mine, I just used GSAK to transfer them to the GPS. Every single one of them was a waypoint, not what I wanted.

Now I export the gpx file from GSAK and once I do that the hints, descriptions, child waypoints, everything is there. Just place the gpx file in the garmin directory of the unit and you'll have it all.

But if you really want waypoints and none of the extra data then just send them to the gps.

No need for any software at all to get them to show up as Geocaches. Just drop the (unzipped) result of a PQ into the [drive:]\garmin\gpx folder on the device while it is hooked up to your PC in mass storage mode. Unhook and off you go.

I think you can still use the GEO waypoints for driving - just change the profile off of geocaching to driving.

I made a mistake the first day I had mine, I just used GSAK to transfer them to the GPS. Every single one of them was a waypoint, not what I wanted.

If you have a current version of GSAK, you can "send to GPS" to a Colorado or Oregon and they will show as Geocaches. This feature was added a few months ago.

Hi all

Thanks in Advance!

If you want waypoints get send the waypoint to you Colorado from Mapsource. I did this when I first got my Colorado as this is how I use to do it with my Etrex

I think you can still use the GEO waypoints for driving - just change the profile off of geocaching to driving.

You can. You hit "go to" and then if you are already navigating to a cache you will have the option to change to "on road".

So first it's "Find this cache" it jumps to the map screen. Then go to the main menu, hit "go to" and change your navigation mode.

The OP can also just use EasyGPS or the waypoint manager (my 300 didn't come with one) to load them and they will show up as waypoints instead of a Cache.

You can. You hit "go to" and then if you are already navigating to a cache you will have the option to change to "on road".

Ummm, no, the Colorados don't do that....

You need to change the routing setup or switch to a profile that has it set to "follow roads".

Ummm, no, the Colorados don't do that....

You need to change the routing setup or switch to a profile that has it set to "follow roads".

Sorry about that. I was thinking "Oregon" for some reason. Not Colorado. Thanks for the correction.

If you have a current version of GSAK, you can "send to GPS" to a Colorado or Oregon and they will show as Geocaches. This feature was added a few months ago.

That's what I did, but I think upon reflection that I had the Vista Cx as my GPS type and that's what went wrong. I know I had all waypoints though. But, I don't do it that way now. I do have the most recent version of GSAK and got to say geocaching without it would be so much more work.

The Oregon 300 makes life easy, I love it.