Send to GPS Kaput?

I put 4 new caches on my GPS earlier today, and have returned from something else to put more on, but it resolutely refuses to connect properly. I've checked all the connections, downloaded the latest version of Garmin as instructed, been informed that the connection is fine, but nothing is working.

Can anyone advise please? I was hoping to enjoy a nice day trip caching and would prefer not to be printing off endless sheets in order to do so.

:anicute:

I put 4 new caches on my GPS earlier today, and have returned from something else to put more on, but it resolutely refuses to connect properly. I've checked all the connections, downloaded the latest version of Garmin as instructed, been informed that the connection is fine, but nothing is working.

Can anyone advise please? I was hoping to enjoy a nice day trip caching and would prefer not to be printing off endless sheets in order to do so.

;)

?

What gps

What app

this imfo could help solve your problem

also have you cleaned your GPSr's memory is there enough room for you to add more?

;)

?

What gps

What app

also have you cleaned your GPSr's memory is there enough room for you to add more?

Garmin (as indicated above) Oregon 400t

App?

And yes, I have deleted about 40-50 old GPS files before synching, so there should be enough room.

:D

I'm having the same problem myself this morning. I've also updated communicator and etc but nothing will download to my GPS. It doesn't even try to search for any GPS unit to see what's connected. I tried both of my computers and get the same result. There must be a problem with the web site or something because the test page says everything is communicating with my unit properly.

I'm having the same problem myself this morning. I've also updated communicator and etc but nothing will download to my GPS. It doesn't even try to search for any GPS unit to see what's connected. I tried both of my computers and get the same result. There must be a problem with the web site or something because the test page says everything is communicating with my unit properly.

Well annoying though that is for both of us, I'm relieved it's not just me! Nothing worse than everyone else finding things are working fine and computer illiterate folks like me struggling to resolve something which is supposedly very easy.

Hope it can be resolved soon. Don't really want to print out endless sheets again.

What am I missing here? I understand that the "send to gps" function might have been down. But, I don't understand why that necessitates a manual entry. You still would have the option to open the *.loc file with MapSource, EasyGPS, GSAK or whatever. Then, in that routine, you would have the option to further edit the information in the note and then send the waypoint to your gps.

What am I missing here? I understand that the "send to gps" function might have been down. But, I don't understand why that necessitates a manual entry. You still would have the option to open the *.loc file with MapSource, EasyGPS, GSAK or whatever. Then, in that routine, you would have the option to further edit the information in the note and then send the waypoint to your gps.

Well that's fine if you know about these other sources. I didn't!

:P

Well now you do. :P

It might be worth exploring so you have alternative methods when something inexplicably stops working.

I apologize if you took offense at my post. That wasn't my intent. With each geocache, you have the option of using the option of downloading the "LOC Waypoint File". Associate that feature with your preferred software for managing waypoint files. In some situations, you might prefer to edit the waypoint before you send it to your gps, e.g. change the waypoint name or to add information to the note. So, even when the "send to gps" is functioning, you might appreciate the alternative approach.

I try again this morning and I discover that the caches I "Send to GPS" are in my GPS. But when my GPS is set to "Find Nearest", they didn't appear, but when I set to "Find by Name", they were there.

Something strange :P

How far away are the caches? "Find Nearest" will only show caches that are within about 100 miles. Further than that and you'll need to search by name or scroll the map to see them.

?

What gps

What app

Garmin (as indicated above) Oregon 400t

App?

And yes, I have deleted about 40-50 old GPS files before synching, so there should be enough room.

:)

Not a problem at all with the Oregon, Colorado or Dakota series from Garmin - just push the GPX button and save the file in the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder on the device - actually quicker than the clunky "send" function anyway.

I try again this morning and I discover that the caches I "Send to GPS" are in my GPS. But when my GPS is set to "Find Nearest", they didn't appear, but when I set to "Find by Name", they were there.

Something strange :P

How far away are the caches? "Find Nearest" will only show caches that are within about 100 miles. Further than that and you'll need to search by name or scroll the map to see them.

Thanks for this hint. The caches are somthing like 500 Km away.

Is it possible to change this setup ?. I have a Gamin Etrex Legend HCX.

Not a problem at all with the Oregon, Colorado or Dakota series from Garmin - just push the GPX button and save the file in the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder on the device - actually quicker than the clunky "send" function anyway.

Here's what I discovered this morning while I was trying to load one cache to both my Colorado 400t and GPSmap 60CSx using Garmin Communicator ...

The cache loaded just fine to the 60CSx and showed up in the existing cache listing on that device.

When I then tried to download to the 400t, Garmin Garmin Communicator said it downloaded successfully, but it did not show up on the device either under geocaches, waypoints, or POIs. When I looked at the folder system on the 400t, I saw that it had the following in the subfolder "GPX" under the primary folder "Garmin":

1) geocaches.gpx (an 11,844 KB GSAK file I'd downloaded a few days ago and works successfully, with a file date of 07/16/09)

2) GCTWPH.gpx (an 8 KB file for the cache I had just downloaded, with a file date of today)

Also within the "GPX" folder was another subfolder called "Current": This contained a 56 KB file called Current.gpx. Not quite sure where that came from but, from the file date, it was apparantly created this morning.

Why isn't the cache I downloaded with Garmin Communicator from the cache page showing up on my 400t while it does show up on my 60CSx?

:D

Edited by M'Lord and m'lady

The unit has a limit of up to 2000 caches spread across a max of 200 GPX files.

My guess is that the big GPX has 2000 or more in it - so it never reads the other file at all.

The big file had 1695 caches in it.

Anyway ... it's all fixed now. I downloaded and installed the Colorado 2.95 beta software and I have no problems now.