Unregister completely

4Go

See this article in the Groundspeak Knowledgebase about how to disable an account.

The article doesn't answer the question. The OP wanted to know how to 'delete' his/her account not how to disable it! It looks like the answer is he/she cannot do it! That doesn't seem right. Why can't it be done? Maybe one of the Groundspeak techies can answer the question??????

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

I would like to delete my (free) membership(s) on Groundspeak (not just mailings): how can I do that?

A request for an assisted geocide? I hate to see you go. We could really use some new blood here.. :ph34r:

That ninja suit doesn't disguise you very well, y'know. :lol:

The OP had never logged any caches, at least not to that account, so it wasn't much of a geocide anyway.

The reason that accounts won't generally be deleted is because all of our activity affects other cachers.

Sure, this cacher appears to have no finds or hides. Assuming that he hasn't made any other kinds of logs, it would not affect the history of others (except for the forum) if he was completely deleted from the system. The question to be asked, however, is 'why bother?'.

As BS aluded to, one could simply change any personal information in his profile and slip into the night. He would never again be bothered by GC.com. As far as he is concerned, his account may as well be deleted.

The only person who could possibly ever care is Jeremy, since he would continue to house this unused profile. Of course, Jeremy seems to not care about this given that there are loads of unused, abandoned, and sock accounts that have no logs.

I would like to delete my (free) membership(s) on Groundspeak (not just mailings): how can I do that?

A request for an assisted geocide? I hate to see you go. We could really use some new blood here.. :ph34r:

Are you sure it's a geocide? OP could have decided they didn't like that user name and figured it to be better to delete than just leave it in limbo.

Are you sure it's a geocide? OP could have decided they didn't like that user name and figured it to be better to delete than just leave it in limbo.

Some people don't like to leave a paper trail. We get requests from customers to delete all of their details from our computer system occasionally. There's legal reasons why we can't do it... It may or may not be the same for GC.com.

Edited by Arrow42
See this article in the Groundspeak Knowledgebase about how to disable an account.
The article doesn't answer the question. The OP wanted to know how to 'delete' his/her account not how to disable it! It looks like the answer is he/she cannot do it! That doesn't seem right. Why can't it be done? Maybe one of the Groundspeak techies can answer the question??????
Because if the account is deleted, then what happens to the post that started this thread? Does it stay? Get deleted? Get sucked into another dimension? What about replies, such as this one... wait... who are we responding to?

The point is that it's very hard to completely delete things off the internet once they enter the public domain. Check out the Wayback Machine if you don't believe me. So the admins of this site don't even try.

If you object to "4Go" having a geocaching account, you can request that the name get changed. Pick something like "Arrow43". Change all the personal info (email address, location, hobbies, etc.). Change the password to something you'll never remember. Then simply never come back to this site.

The other option is to get banned. Fly to Seattle and pee in Jeremy's latte or something. The account will still exist, but you can't log into it.

Some people don't like to leave a paper trail. We get requests from customers to delete all of their details from our computer system occasionally. There's legal reasons why we can't do it... It may or may not be the same for GC.com.
The difference is that the OP actually has the ability to remove all of his personal info. He just can't completely delete the profile.