Cache and Dash?

wayteach

I've never heard of "cache and dash" in Geocaching,, but each Geocache does have a difficulty/terrain rating. Picking "1/1 caches" are the easiest ones to access, some of which are literally drive-up caches.

Also look for the following attribute: wheelchair.gif on a cache page, indicating the cache is wheelchair accessible

Probably more likely called a Park and Grab but NordicMan is correct that you should check the terrain rating. Note there is no guarantee a terrain rating of 1 is accessible for a wheel chair so hopefully the owner added the attribute.

Edited by BlueDeuce

A friend of mine who is an avid geo-cacher says there's someting called a "cache and dash" where you can practically drive up to the item, thus requiring little physical effort. Is there such a thing? I can't find any info on it.

Is there any such a thing? In many areas that describes 95 percent of all caches. There are thousands of these things (probably hundreds of thousands). Look for caches with a difficulty and terrain rating of 1.5 or lower.

Unfortunately most of these are placed in the most mundane places imaginable.

1 star terrain is supposed to be wheelchair accessible. 1.5 star terrain should be easy terrain, with minor barriers to wheelchairs, such as curbs.

I say "supposed" and "should" because some cache owners don't rate their caches properly.

A friend of mine who is an avid geo-cacher says there's someting called a "cache and dash" where you can practically drive up to the item, thus requiring little physical effort. Is there such a thing? I can't find any info on it.

The cache and dash thing is used quite a lot by cahe owners in describing their caches over here. Usually with urban caches with muggles around. Its probably to convey the urgency of getting the cache and putting it back then getting off site.

Most of these however do mean a stretch either up or down so it depends how disabled you are. A friend of mine would be fine for instance as she can pick things off the floor while in her chair but I know thats not always the case.

Just a thought, but it would be worth emailing cache owners in your area and asking them which caches they would recommend as chair accessible.

Claire xx

Edited by CluelessTwo

Park and Grab, Cache and Dash, Grab and Go, etc. all seem to be interchangable terms depending on where you are geocaching.

While VERY rare, we have one locally that is not only a regular size, but you don't even have to get out of the vehicle to grab the cache and sign the log (okay, you do have to open your car door).

Our question is, could it still be called a park and grab if parking isn't even necessary?

Park and Grab, Cache and Dash, Grab and Go, etc. all seem to be interchangable terms depending on where you are geocaching.

While VERY rare, we have one locally that is not only a regular size, but you don't even have to get out of the vehicle to grab the cache and sign the log (okay, you do have to open your car door).

Our question is, could it still be called a park and grab if parking isn't even necessary?

Do you still "turn" up the volume even if your stereo is digital and has no nobs?

I have a couple of caches magneticaly behind sign posts, but they are part of a sreies and strictly speaking they are difficult as park and grabs during the day due to the parking restictions. These are part of a series in my home city hopefully leting pepole know about a bit of uncommaly know history, thus hopefully they are a bit more intesting than a normal park and grab, that is pepole are intested in more than their find count.

I however travel by public transport and call then cache and dash caches as you can nip of a train/ but/ tram and log them, aslo the tern cache and dash does seem more populare here.