Muggles, did we nick it off Harry Potter or did he nick it off us?

Hi all

I was introducing Geocaching to a muggle friend who loves walks and adventure and when I explained to her about being discreet because people who dont know about Geocaching are muggles and we have to do everything possible to protect the cache, She said that that was nicked from Harry Potter books.

Now I have never read harry potter books so I havent a clue whether muggles is in there or not but she assures me (because shes a harry potter freak) that muggles in the harry potter book are people who dont know about magic and sorcery.

So my question is of course, who used the word first? And if it was geocachers, does that mean that Ms Rawling is a Geocacher? And can we all collectively sue her for nicking the word and buy tupperware with the proceeds so we can hide in wild and wacky places?

Claire (one half of the clueless two)

Hi Ya

Unfortunately I live in northern ireland so I wont be able to use JC Penny. Thanks though. Seen some on ebay but dont like buying off ebay in case things get broken in the post.

Im really disappointed that Ms Rawling isnt a Geocacher though! I really hoped that she stole the muggle thing! lol

What were muggles called before harry potter books?

Claire

Everybody's wrong. :o The word (meaning an outsider) existed, but was little used, long before the Potter books were written. It's common in SF and fantasy to resurrect arcane words, rather than invent new ones out of whole cloth.

There ya go!

This probably explains my general disdain for the term...

Heathens I tell you, they're all heathens!

4. irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized.

Everybody's wrong. :o The word (meaning an outsider) existed, but was little used, long before the Potter books were written. It's common in SF and fantasy to resurrect arcane words, rather than invent new ones out of whole cloth.

I've often wondered how new words came about, how people made them, but I never dreamed it was out of cloth. Boggles the mind, I tell you.

Working this one out should keep me busy until the rain stops :)

JK Rowling admits freely to resurrecting arcane words and using obscure historical names as a basis for names in her popular series. The existance of 'muggle' prior to Ms. Rowling using it isn't surprising to me at all.

BTW her name is pronounced like 'row' (to row a boat) '-ling'.

And other subcultures use it for people that aren't part of their subculture too: knitters, hackers, pagans/wiccans, Lindy Hoppers, etc., etc., etc..

That's more why I don't really like it: it is just so uninspired and unimaginative and a bit childish. But it is so ingrained in the geocaching community now, it is here to stay.

Hi Ya

Unfortunately I live in northern ireland so I wont be able to use JC Penny. Thanks though. Seen some on ebay but dont like buying off ebay in case things get broken in the post.

Im really disappointed that Ms Rawling isnt a Geocacher though! I really hoped that she stole the muggle thing! lol

Claire

Harry Potter (1997) predates Geocaching (2000). Don't know when the term muggle actually started being used in Geocaching.

Hi Ya

Claire

Harry Potter (1997) predates Geocaching (2000). Don't know when the term muggle actually started being used in Geocaching.

September 2002

Rowling has said she created the word "Muggle" from "mug", an English term for someone who is easily fooled. She added the "-gle" to make it sound less demeaning and more "cuddly".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggle

Rowling invented the word for her Harry Potter books 3 years before the first "cache" was placed.

Doesn't Wiki say the following..

"The word occurred in popular culture and literature prior to Rowling's adoption of it. However, the Harry Potter series popularised the word, and it has come into common usage in other contexts."