My PQ request

webscouter.

I have three bookmark list for caches that I would like to go to someday.

Caches get added to the list for several reasons.

Recommendation by another cacher.

Nice picture in the Gallery

It is close to something else I want to see

Historical cache.

A puzzle cache that I have figured out.

In my bookmark list I have a comment as to why I have the cache on the list. All of these caches are loaded into my GPS. When I am in the area of one of the caches I will seek them out. Sometimes it may be several years before I get to one of these caches. Often when I get to the cache I don't know why I am looking for it. For instance last week I searched for GC1GBC0 Nature Lovers Nano Cache. I found the cache and then tried to figure out why I was searching for it. The view was nice but not anything I would bookmark the cache for, I couldn't think of any cachers who had recommended it to me. I didn't see anything historical about it and it was a traditional cache so no puzzle. Only after I left and got back on the site did I find out that it was the 1,000,000th GC-Code assigned to a cache.

My proposal is this.

I would love to have my comments in the PQ as a personal log. That way when I look in the GPS for logs, or in Watcher I would see my note as to why the cache is on the list. This would also allow me to know that a certain cache is a nice photo op that is best appreciated during the winter.

So would anyone else use this feature?

Yea, I think I would. Of course, you could post a note to these caches, but the owner could easily delete them. There is a feature in GSAK to add user information, but it's not in the main database. :-(

Hmm, that's an interesting suggestion - write note.

If you backdate it, it will not appear in the cache listing page (if it has more than 5 logs). Include a short note to the cache owner - saying this is because you want to keep track of a cache you intend to find later. I think most would be understanding.

A new "private note" cache logging option would really be nice.

Yea, I think I would. Of course, you could post a note to these caches, but the owner could easily delete them. There is a feature in GSAK to add user information, but it's not in the main database. :-(

But is there not a POI import macro that allows user logs to be added to your export to your Nuvi or whatever paperless unit you are using?

I know that there are external tools to do this.

But I am wanting a way to do it onsite. I have talked to a Groundspeak lackey and was told that it shouldn't be too hard to implement. So I am asking if enough people would use it to be useful.

You could use it to publish puzzle coordinates or mid points of a long multi without everyone else being able to see it.

Or maybe even write personal logs just for your own benefit.

But I am wanting a way to do it onsite. I have talked to a Groundspeak lackey and was told that it shouldn't be too hard to implement. So I am asking if enough people would use it to be useful.

Well, I'd find it useful. But I'd go one step further and encrypt it (and I don't mean ROT13) so that not only does it not appear, those sneaky moderators won't read about my nefarious plans to take over the world through geocaching private thoughts :)

Why not let GSAK do it for you?

For example, you could use a one letter code placed in, say, the User2 column. Allocate a different letter for each of your reasons: R=Recommended, H=Historical, S=Solved puzzle, F= Multicache final, W=Multicache waypoint (next to find) etc. When you send the waypoints to your gps then just append the tag (%user2) to the Waypoint name. (GSAK allows you to build up the waypoint name up using the Special tags. With my 76CSX I can have up to 14 characters in the Waypoint Name. I use "%smart %correct=C %user2 %children %smart%c_Prefix". I use 8 character length smartnames, the %correct=C indicates to me that the coordinates are GSAK corrected coordinates).

If you do the above you will know just by looking at the cache name in your gps the reason why the cache is there.

Edited by BaldEd

For example, you could use a one letter code placed in, say, the User2 column. Allocate a different letter for each of your reasons: R=Recommended, H=Historical, S=Solved puzzle, F= Multicache final, W=Multicache waypoint (next to find) etc. When you send the waypoints to your gps then just append the tag (%user2) to the Waypoint name. (GSAK allows you to build up the waypoint name up using the Special tags. With my 76CSX I can have up to 14 characters in the Waypoint Name. I use "%smart %correct=C %user2 %children %smart%c_Prefix". I use 8 character length smartnames, the %correct=C indicates to me that the coordinates are GSAK corrected coordinates).

If you do the above you will know just by looking at the cache name in your gps the reason why the cache is there.

Using GSAK to upload caches takes away some of the functionality of the Colorado GPS that I use. Also sometimes a solved puzzle has more than just coordinates to it, it can sometimes have a phrase that you need or instructions.

Yeah, lets never ever suggest an idea to improve the functionality of the website because some third party app was developed to fill the need. I'm starting to hate these kinds of useless comments. Yes, we all know "Solution X, Y, and then Z" exists. Finding a solution using third-party applications or annoying workarounds is not the point. Suggesting an improvement to the design or function to the site is. If you want to debate the suggestion on the merits, then fine.

</rant>

Edit: Sorry for my tone. It's been frustrating me lately.

Edited by Arrow42

Yeah, lets never ever suggest an idea to improve the functionality of the website because some third party app was developed to fill the need. I'm starting to hate these kinds of useless comments. Yes, we all know "Solution X, Y, and then Z" exists. Finding a solution using third-party applications or annoying workarounds is not the point. Suggesting an improvement to the design or function to the site is. If you want to debate the suggestion on the merits, then fine.

</rant>

<rant>Sometimes these suggestions are made because someone it trying to accomplish a specific task. They may not realize there is another way to do it that either already exist or is being done by a 3rd party program or website. People suggest the alternative way to accomplish the task because they are trying to be helpful. Censoring suggestions of workarounds and alternatives because they sound to you like the are negative is possibly hurting the person making the request from finding a way to do what they want. If they had to wait for Groundspeak to make the changes they request it could take awhile. Why not tell them how they can accomplish their tasks with tools that are available now.</rant>

I've suggested before adding both secret and private notes. I've also suggested added the ability to make any log private. Yeah, I'd use those features.

Here's the main idea:

• Secret note: only the author can see the note. This can be for private thoughts on the cache including how nasty, stinky it is or to hold solutions to puzzles, etc. This is for notes you don't want anyone else to see.
  • Private note: Both the author and the cache owner can see the note. This would be for private conversations to the owner for, say, maintenance issues or congratulations on a certain twist of a mystery without giving it away to the public.
  • ...or...
  • Private log: A different way to log in that any log designated private simply doesn't show to anyone other than the author. A different scheme than the above. Useful for owners who try to delete legitimate finds, DNFs with puzzle solutions or other notes that shouldn't be public.

Of course, for the above to work like the OP is suggesting---and if TPTB continue with the "just in time caching" PQ scheme--then all logs written by the person requesting the PQ would need to be included.

It would most definitely get used.

Assuming that you are using paperless caching and have access to the logs on a device you are carrying with you, then you can just write user notes on the cache in GSAK and you'll have all the info you want.

However, GSAK is windows only, which is why I'm rarely using it. I hate needing to fire up XP in VMWare.

I would love to see a personal notes. Currently I am almost paperless in the way that I don't print out cache pages anymore but instead print out both a copy of the PQ (which gives me size and name) and also print out the bookmark list (which has all my short notes).

So now a trip of around 50 caches is reduced down to 4-5 pages.

Yes notes would help in preplanning a visit to areas.

Because GSAK is so slow?

Because GSAK doesn't run on Macs?

Because GSAK is not exactly free?

Because the GSAK DB on my laptop may not be synced up with the copy on my desktop.

Because I'm caching with only my iPhone (well, not me. Don't get me started. But others do).

Because I'm not using my own computer.

Because I'm not using a PC and I don't want to / don't know how to / can't afford the hardware or software to run Windows in a VM.

Indeed, a similar request as mine (link to my previous post). I looked for something similar, but apparently missed yours. Only, I didn't connect it to Bookmark lists (I would like it for any cache), and I suggested some display features (shown on top of other logs, shown on printer friendly pages, included as a separate field in gpx files).

Regarding the private-user-comments as a type of special log allows it to be implemented using the existing log database, reducing the implementation effort for GC.com. But for full functionality, the comments should be treated different from other types of logs, and displayed differently, on other places, and in gpx files.

Private-user-comments could be deleted once a cache is found, although many will object. And they could include additional child waypoints, like final coordinates for solved mysteries, but that would require more effort, I think, and will lead to an endless discussion about what more features could be added.

But let's continue the discussion until a good proposal is compiled, and then suggest it to GC.com.

Using GSAK to upload caches takes away some of the functionality of the Colorado GPS that I use. Also sometimes a solved puzzle has more than just coordinates to it, it can sometimes have a phrase that you need or instructions.

GSAK takes away functionality of a Colorado? I'm not sure I understand that. If anything, using GSAK adds functionality to my Colorado.

Although, I don't agree with BaldEd's method...much too limiting for a Colorado.

e.g. Your GSAK user notes can be included as the 1st log, you can have the corrected coordinates for puzzles, I even have a custom macro (that's called by the Colorado/Oregon Export macro) which adds the County [helpful when working on County Challenge caches], Placed Date [so I know how old the cache is], Last Log Date and Last Find Date as a log entry.

The options are almost endless by using GSAK as a tool between geocaching.com's PQ and your GPS!