Rate postings and posters

user13371

Next to or beneath each post, I'd really like to see:

- A "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" button, and

- A notation next showing how many folks rated a post thumbs up or down

Ideally: You'd have to be logged in to see/use the buttons; you could only tag each post once; and you couldn't tag your own.

Even further: Each user profile could show a score of how others rated their posts -- along the lines of "X% of the ratings for this user's posts are favorable (or unfavorable)."

Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing this for caches, with a "Meh" option in the middle. Been suggested and debated to death, and I'm not sure what Groundspeak's stance on ratings systems is, but I haven't seen any motions toward one yet.

Edited by MountainRacer

Beyond the basic facts I've never really been interested in other people logs. Certainly not enough to rate them. Why would I want to?

I read this as forum posts and not online logs. Kind of like cred meters on some forums.

I can understand wanting to share entertaining logs, but to thumbs down every TNLNSL isn't really adding much. Unless of course the goal here is to shame folks into writing something worth the local's time to read it. Not only do I not care about less than entertaining logs I would rather see development/design effort in a couple thousand other areas first.

edit: then/than

Edited by BlueDeuce

Beyond the basic facts I've never really been interested in other people logs. Certainly not enough to rate them. Why would I want to?

I read this as forum posts and not online logs. Kind of like cred meters on some forums.

I can understand wanting to share entertaining logs, but to thumbs down every TNLNSL isn't really adding much. Unless of course the goal here is to shame folks into writing something worth the local's time to read it. Not only do I not care about less than entertaining logs I would rather see development/design effort in a couple thousand other areas first.

I don't think the OP is talking about cache logs but rather forum posts.

I don't think the OP is talking about cache logs but rather forum posts.

I think I would be ok with cache logs but forum logs would be full of opposing digits.

If this is about rating forum posts, I really don't think it would work well here.

There are just too many people here that refuse to acknowledge there is a problem to the point that they argue against it and many of those same people are opposed to changes and new features.

I really believe that if Jeremy hadn't posted publicly about the site being down last Friday you'd have a dozen people in here swearing that it was up and they used it and there were no problems. Those are the same people that would flag any real and useful posts negatively.

I can't see any usefulness to that idea. Why would it be a good idea, or why is this needed? If someone disagrees with a post they are certainly free to post an opposing opinion. I don't think the forums need a voting system to show how many people agree or disagree with a poster or what someone writes. Besides, the results wouldn't be valid due to self-selection. Unless everyone votes the results are only representative of those who vote.

I belong to another forum that uses rep points. You can add points for a helpful post or add negative points for rude or nasty posts. The system is not often used and when it is it isn't for the right reasons. I've never received bad points but have gotten good points for silly jokes and no points for posts that have saved people lots of money. I know guys who got bad points for not agreeing with someone. Something as simple as "I wouldn't use that oil in my lawnmower."

No, it is just another flawed ratings system with too much room for abuse. Who wants to watch Knight200 and I keep putting a thumbs down on each others posts? :)

I think that the idea has merit as long as the thumb only points up. Some forums have a button to say "this is a helpful post" (but not the opposite). Over time, you would see who is considered to be helpful by looking at their number of thumbs ups, perhaps moderating one's enthusiasm my comparing this number against their total number of posts.

It works well on some forums. Especially when you are actually trying to dig up information on something. Since I just got an Oregon I've been using search to figure out various nits about how to use that GPS. Some posts are a lot better at others for answering questions.

This makes a lot of sence in The GPS section. Not so much in Off Topic.

This wouldn't work (statistics-wise). At some point, all posts would be equally rated.

Sun has a really good rating system on their support forums.

Only the OP can rate the answers to his/her question. That makes it reliable as the person who ask the question gets to rate the possible answers to it.

Otherwise, people will just rate based on who responded. That is just silly.

It works well on some forums. Especially when you are actually trying to dig up information on something. Since I just got an Oregon I've been using search to figure out various nits about how to use that GPS. Some posts are a lot better at others for answering questions.

This makes a lot of sence in The GPS section. Not so much in Off Topic.

My thoughts exactly. I've seen "kudos" systems in use on forums that are oriented more toward tech support for a specific audience than general discussion on a broad range of topics.

Typically with such setups somebody asks a question, and the regulars jump in to provide assistance. Other posters are rationed a few points (something on the order of one per day) which they can then give out to whoever they feel gave the most helpful response. It works well when you're dispensing technical knowledge, but no so well when 30 highly opinionated members are each stating opposing viewpoints on a subject which they are passionate about.

I've also seen forums where users can vote individual posts up or down, marking them as either helpful or off topic. Post counts below avatars are presented as something along the lines of "3,823 posts (1,456 on topic)" or just as "1,456 posts on topic").

Such systems work with varying degrees of success depending on the forum dynamics, but I'm not sure it would work here given the variety of geocaching-related interests that are each broken down into separate forums. For example, the atmosphere in the "GPS and Technology" forum is much different than in the Geocaching Topics forum or off-topic, and the regional forum sections each seem to have their own "feel". Compare the tone of many discussions in the geocoin forums to those in, say, the benchmark hunting or education forums.

It works well when you're dispensing technical knowledge, but no so well when 30 highly opinionated members are each stating opposing viewpoints on a subject which they are passionate about.

I've been wondering how many highly-opinionated members there were on these forums. Good to know. :)

I'll give you a thumbs-up on your post!