Rookie help! GPS coordinates

teamsbhiggins

We tried to do our very first geo-cache today. In fact 2 and could not find either. When we got home we checked and our coordinates that are down loaded into our Garmin Etrex GPS is different than what is said on the web-page???? Why??? HELP!!!!

Make sure your GPSr is set to WSG84 format. That's probably it.

We tried to do our very first geo-cache today. In fact 2 and could not find either. When we got home we checked and our coordinates that are down loaded into our Garmin Etrex GPS is different than what is said on the web-page???? Why??? HELP!!!!

Make sure your GPSr is set to WSG84 format. That's probably it.

We just checked. It already is. Any more tips? Appreciate it.

Wouldn't hurt for you to tell step by step how you loaded the gps with the coords. Sometimes people load child waypoints to the geocache by mistake. Also try manually loading them just so you can get a couple of geocaches under your belt. We can work the rest out when you would like.

-HHH :unsure:

Wouldn't hurt for you to tell step by step how you loaded the gps with the coords. Sometimes people load child waypoints to the geocache by mistake. Also try manually loading them just so you can get a couple of geocaches under your belt. We can work the rest out when you would like.

All i did was plug in the GPS and hit the Send to GPS button on the website

All i did was plug in the GPS and hit the Send to GPS button on the website

Try it again and verify that you are still having this problem.

OK, the coords in your GPS were not an additional waypoint (I checked the cache page) but I believe the Garmin Etrex connects to the computer via serial cable, not USB. were you using a serial-USB adapter? If so, that could be the problem. The communicator plug in does not support serial devices.

You would be better off using GSAK to load your GPS in that case.

I know this sounds crazy but I have had this happen using the send to gps button with my 60Cx. only after checking the website again did I realize why the coords were trying to get me to go onto private property.

I asked another cacher about this and he has had the same thing happen with hist VistaHCX. It doesn't happen every time, one out of 100 times probably. I haven't had it happen for ages, just thought I would share.

Can you give us the posted cords and the coords that were in your GPS? Could be a different format.

The coordinates that are on the GPS are N 53 33.761 W 113 55.151

The coordinates on the website are N 53° 33.772 W 113° 55.175

I've been watching this for a bit... Not much help with eTrexs I'm afraid so I'll stay out of that part...

I did some plotting, and that isn't a great distance on the ground... the cache shows in what looks like a reasonable spot using the Google maps and satellite mode... the questionable set is fairly close by... I'd like to get that close from a good set.. BUT that said you can't trust Google to be precise. However it can be a good reference when used from the Cache page... as a guide.

My REAL concern when browsing the Cache (it's only a half day away after all) Page was in the Parking directions... those coordinates were WAY off..

--Park at N 15.33.646 W 113.55.162 in Creekside for access.--

A bit obvious, but when you check it out, likely quite wet... using 51 gives only a few hours away, but still too far to walk for me, (let alone swim)... even if that one is on my route... :P

I've sent email to the CO with a recommendation... but they are now living in Nova Scotia it seems, but they can still fix it I hope... Probably no one reads that anyway, but who knows what newbies might believe.

Sounds like a cool place though and summer awaits, a bit too cool in winter I suspect.

Doug

... BUT that said you can't trust Google to be precise.

May I, a Geocacher newbie, disagree? Google Earth coordinates are in fact more precise than some (old) handheld GPS (I have been working with GPS as a sailor for more than 15 years).

Found some dozen caches (I know, total newbie) and all of them ... without using a GPS, simply printing Google Earth image.

Of course I'm not saying GPS are worthless, this would be nonsense. GPS is extremely usefull and the basis Geocaching.

:)

May I, a Geocacher newbie, disagree? Google Earth coordinates are in fact more precise than some (old) handheld GPS (I have been working with GPS as a sailor for more than 15 years).

Found some dozen caches (I know, total newbie) and all of them ... without using a GPS, simply printing Google Earth image.

Of course I'm not saying GPS are worthless, this would be nonsense. GPS is extremely usefull and the basis Geocaching.

Problem with Google Earth is you just can't trust it. Some areas are spot on with the images and just 10 miles away the images are offset by 150 feet or more. Trust the GPS.

As for the OP - it is all too easy on the eTrex units to accidently click on a waypoint on the map display and move it a bit - is it possible that you may have accidently done that?

If it were me I would go for the simple solution to finding the cache, just edit the coordinates to the correct ones. That wouldn't solve the loading problem, but it would let you find the cache.

By the way, the distance between those cords you listed is probably more than 150 feet, so it would be a tough find.

I didn't say NOT to use it... in fact I recommended it as a guide. I just said it wasn't going to be precise.

As for navigation by GPSr... I use a Garmin 45 (xl) all the time. That is a early 90's device 8channel

no maps or whatever ( my marine unit in fact)... It also is not as precise as the new ones, absolutely hard to trust in trees, canyons, buildings etc. even mountains (which is where I live). I find caches all the time with it and my compass. On the other hand I'm only relatively new to caching, but an old hand at getting around in the bush etc. Caching is a lot more fun that way than walking right up and seeing it. But that is my choice and I've said so. Learning to use all the tools you have at your disposal well, will stand one in better stead in the long run. I don't use eTrex units, so I don't know all the ins and outs and said so. The original basic units were not that different from mine... later software gets horribly convoluted and easier to mess up I suspect, as there are more options... I'd still like to upgrade someday, but the money I paid for my 45 (more than a top line unit today) makes me want to keep it in service as long as possible.

BTW did you check out the parking coords... talk about marine use.

Doug