How to start my collection

George&Heather

Hi everyone! When we first started caching we got a few coins and put them out into circulation so we could watch them travel. Now, we are considering starting a collection for us to keep at home and enjoy. We have a few questions that we hope can be answered.

1) Do you activate the coins in your collection that you have no plan on putting out into caches and tracking?

2) If down the road we decide to trade a coin, assuming it has been activated if that is how it is done, can we transfer ownership to the new party via the GC website or will it always be listed as our coin?

These are only the first two questions we have come up with but I'm sure there are more. If you have any tips or insight for newbies we would love to hear about it!

Thanks!

-George&Heather

1. all mine are activated..I enjoy letting people discover my coins, and that allows them to add to their icon collection..can't share with unactivated coins.

2. No, they are not going to be as easy to trade or sell if you choose to later, but I've traded non-activated coins for activated coins, and purchased both.

ILYK

All of ours is activated. When we started collecting coins, there was a few that had there collection stolen. The police was able to find the owner because they were activated. Unactivated coins there is no proof whose they are so anyone could sell them or activate then for themselves. So we made the decision we was going to activate them all. If you activate it then want to trade it or give it away, there is an adoption

Recently some were adopted and the new owners wanted to reactivate them. You might want to put them on a spreadsheet with the name, activation code, and the metal.

I have adopted some coins. I become the owner and where the original owner released them from stays as it was. To me that is part of the history and I leave it as it is. Others like to change that so then they would need the activation code to reactivate it.

All our coins will be passed on to our grandson. They are like pictures to us. Part of our memories.

Well.. I have some activated and some not! The majority of th activated ones, are travelling! I only keep some activated because they were already activated when I got them! :)

So....I activate my coins only to send them for travels!

It will be good for you to have the activation codes of all! no, I do not mean to activate the coins.... just to have the activation codes so when you feel ready to activate one you will not have to search where it was minted etc! If a coin is retired, then...after some years you may not find the activation code of it!

I do not know about trades! I haven't done one yet! I hope I will some day! :)

I believe that unactivated coins are easier to trade with! after them, the activated ones that never went out for travels and are in perfect shape (no hits, on the surface etc) are probably ok to trade! It will probably be difficult for very used ones, drilled or what ever, and if the coin is out travelling.... I do not think it is for trade! Some of the coins are not returning so to make a trade, take a traveller that you will probably never see and give a coin that is in your hands.... I do not think it is a good trade!

No matter what, if you like a coin very much and you wanting in your collection.....

If you have an activated coin in your hands (you are the owner!), there is always a chance to adopt it to someone else!

If your coin is not in the best condition and shows traces of worn, when you trade it will be good to show a photo of the coin and talk with the other trader about these faults!

I always have in mind a phrase..... do not do anything that you wouldn't others do to you! :laughing: If I hide something in a trade is like I cheat!

As you can see, everything depends on what you want! :wub:

I hope I helped a little my friend! :) After all...I am new too! :)

1. I activate alot of my coins, even if they arent going to travel. I like to see the icons in my profile. For me its more of like an online collection.

2. You can sell & trade activated coins, but it seems they dont hold the value of unactivated for some reason.

We activate most of them, we like to see them in our profile.

We live now, so why bother about value if we stop collecting :)

But this topic has been up before and then some people said that your taste might change and it could be wise not to activate your coins because it is easier to trade unactivated coins.

So that is why we activate most coins and not all anymore :laughing:

FYI.... to learn more about coins and stuff check out the pinned threads at the top of this forum or even the FAQ section on Geocoins in the Trackable Items Page.... just click on the Trackable Items tab at the top left of any geocaching.com page to take you there.