Tools to Retrieve Caches

I have been thinking of making a series of caches that involve the use of unique retrievals. In other words, they may use different tools in order to be able to get at the cache location. Are there any guidelines or rules of thumb to use when placing caches like this. One of my ideas was to use a see-saw type tool to get a "Leg Up" to retrieve a high up cache. Any comments and suggestions would be helpful :D

I wouldn't say a 5 star terrain, because it won't be hard to get there. A 3.5 - 5 star difficulty would probably be appropriate though. Basically, you'll need to use some type of tool(s) to retrieve the cache.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is frowned upon or if people like when caches are a little different and involve some ingenuity to find.

Edited by WooHoo451

I wouldn't say a 5 star terrain, because it won't be hard to get there. A 3.5 - 5 star difficulty would probably be appropriate though. Basically, you'll need to use some type of tool(s) to retrieve the cache.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is frowned upon or if people like when caches are a little different and involve some ingenuity to find.

As long as you tell people in advance that they will need special equipment, there shouldn't be a problem.

What pisses people off is going on a mile hike to a place only to find they need special equipment when they get there.

My view is, you can't please everyone. Place what you enjoy and what you think some people would enjoy.

Rate it a 5* difficulty. That way there's less excuse for others to complain.

Edited by Chrysalides

TOTT caches seem to have a higher then normal maintenance requirement since many don't use the right tools or somehow manage to break things even when using the right tools. You can try to idiot proof the design...until a bigger idiot finds the cache.

Not trying to steer you away from your idea. I love well thought out caches and appreciate the efforts by those that do more then throw a 35mm out the window. Just giving you a heads up so you can hopefully design it well to minimize your maintenance efforts.

My idea is to actually hide the tools at GZ, so no one has to lug tools out into the woods. I've come across a couple of caches like this in my travels and I loved them, so I wanted to create a couple of my own.

Some people cache without the full description. You may want to consider hiding a container with the cache description in an accessible location so that they know what to do when they get there. Of course, then you run the risk that someone would just drop a logsheet into that and claim a find on it...

I have been thinking of making a series of caches that involve the use of unique retrievals. In other words, they may use different tools in order to be able to get at the cache location. Are there any guidelines or rules of thumb to use when placing caches like this. One of my ideas was to use a see-saw type tool to get a "Leg Up" to retrieve a high up cache. Any comments and suggestions would be helpful :D

Are you going to supply the tools? We found a cache that was up about 10 feet up in a big stump. It was higher than you could reach, but the owner left an old wooden ladder within 50 feet of the cache and mentioned that a "nearby tool" would help people retrieve it. He rated it a 2/2.5, which I thought was fair since you didn't have to bring your own special equipment.

Edited to say that I just saw your note about leaving the tools nearby. In that case, I wouldn't consider them "special equipment needed" since it's not something like a rock climbing or SCUBA cache where specialized training and equipment is needed. Not sure if that would be the correct answer according to the ratings, though.

Edited by Skippermark

At the bottom of a (small) pond, hide an ammo can with some rocks inside to keep it at the bottom. Hide some rope and a strong magnet nearby.

Then, have your finders go fishin' :grin:

well there's a GREAT idea! (if your ammobox is waterproof)

I'd love to find one of those!

I always carry tweezers, a flashlight, and a small flathead screwdriver in my kit (along with trade items, travel bugs & coins, ziplocs, signature items, etc.). In the geomobile, I have more tools that may come in handy: a fishing pole section with a line and a strong neodymium magnet on the end, a roll of duct tape, larger screwdrivers, pry bars, a pickaxe, a 12-pound sledgehammer and other stuff. I am thinking of getting a "granny grabber" for reaching caches, but at 6'3", I can reach just about anything that anyone else can hide (it's the cramped, crawling spaces I don't like). I always read the cache descriptions to find out if I need to bring anything the cache site to get to it. Forewarned is forearmed...

I just did a numbers run day and got 51 finds. I had to use tools to retrieve the cache three times out of 51. Sometimes the combination of reach and hand strength makes all the difference (and is all that is needed).

At the bottom of a (small) pond, hide an ammo can with some rocks inside to keep it at the bottom. Hide some rope and a strong magnet nearby.

Then, have your finders go fishin' :blink:

How do they get the magnet off of the ammo can once they put it back in the water?

I'm thinking you just give the cache a toss back in the water. No need to throw it back out with the rope(magnet) still attached.

Then, have your finders go fishin' :anitongue:

How do they get the magnet off of the ammo can once they put it back in the water?

You just have to use a snapping action. The resistance of the water on the ammo can should provide multiples of counter force than if you slowly pulled it up.

I have a few hundred neodymium magnets laying around and have done many experiments.

The magnet should be not too strong to not be able to peel it off.

I think there should be instructions in the cache (or on the cache page) about putting the rope (without magnet) through the ammo can's handle, slowly lowering the can, pulling the rope out of the handle and out of the water, rejoining the rope and magnet, and rehiding those.

Not entirely trivial, of course.

The magnet should be not too strong to not be able to peel it off.

I think there should be instructions in the cache (or on the cache page) about putting the rope (without magnet) through the ammo can's handle, slowly lowering the can, pulling the rope out of the handle and out of the water, rejoining the rope and magnet, and rehiding those.

Not entirely trivial, of course.

An aluminum carabiner would make attachment and removal of the magnet easy. Sounds like a fun little multi - first stage is the magnet and the next stage coords are painted onto the magnet. Or something like that. :)

There was a decon container cache in my area that was on a small island in the middle of a very deep creek. It had metal epoxied all around it and prospective finders were instructed to create there own magnet lures for their search. Everyone had great fun trying their casting abilities. After the cache was found and the logbood signed the finder had the throw the cache back on the island.

Edited by Night Stalker

Then, have your finders go fishin' :)

Take the magnet off BEFORE you toss the can back in the pond.

Then, have your finders go fishin' :)

Take the magnet off BEFORE you toss the can back in the pond.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of a very specific hide that I had out for a short while where that was an unexpected problem. Clearly it is not an issue in the majority of hides like that. Nevermind.