What do you bring while cashing?

marnicksl

After a couple days out in the open I've grabbed some stuff in a bag to carry with me. Thus far I have found all these useful at one point or another:

-Gps (haha)

-Compass (for those moments when your gps doesn't align direction correctly)

-Water

-Shades

-phone with data plan for aerial view

-binoculars+camera to enjoy the view

-knife

-flashlight

-assorted goodies of various value to switch

to be complete, what else could I bring? Most of this I put in the bag after I realised I missed it.

GEO-Buddy....I love to cache in groups and drag along anyone who even blinks when asked.

PEN! golf pencil (for when pen wont write)

Ziplock bags - to replace, repair blown out bags; on occasion to use as a plastic glove if I am reaching into something that might be squishy (ewww); to amuse bored geo kids (instant beanbag) and they have come in handy as a quick ice pack--never leave home without em. lol

Paper. Small post it notes to write my clues and notes. Also, I keep an extra log with me so if I am last to sign I can leave several sheets for the next one in.

The end of a role of electrical tape. I used to carry duct tape but its too bulky. The electrical tape works just as well if there is a container with a crack, a missing hinge, etc. Ya still need to report to the owner but its nice to salavage whatever you can.

Geo-sense and geo-tude. Geo-sense for me is about giving into some common sense rules for cacheing---which means no more shorts! (lol I break this one all the time). I also promise myself to divide my caches into groups by difficulty so I will have the right gear but you just never know when that "I gotta have it" feeling will come. After 15 mins I put the GPS DOWN step away from the screen and let my geosense do the job!! this have proven to be quite productive! And my geo-tude is about cacheing with the right attitude. I thought I could go for a cache to unwind. But it seems if I am stressed out I cant find my way out of a paper bag much less find a micro the size of my pinky nail.

Edited by finewine888

Along with some of the stuff already mentioned, I carry one of those mechanic's inspection mirrors with a telescopic handle. It's helped me find several caches that I wouldn't have found without it.

And when I'm doing some urban geocaching I also carry a big yellow 25' tape measure. Muggles don't seem to give me more than a glance when I have it on my belt because they think I'm working instead of doing something suspicious. I'll even pretend I'm taking measurements if the situation warrants it. :D

Pete

I've always got a pack full of goodies as I like to be prepared and I like redundancy...

Its ever evolving as I may see something on someone elses list and thing, Ohh, yea need that...

But here is what I normally carry...

GPSr, sometimes a secondary unit...

4-6 Extra AA Bats

Water

Cell Phone

Digital Cam, I usually take pics of the cache container in its spot and away, then anything worth looking at nearby

Monocular, would like some nice Binos for scanning the distance

Knife, usally two... Helpful for prying, poking, cutting

Walking Stick/Pole (knife can be taped to for longer reach poking)

flashlight, usally two (redundancy pays, had a brand new light fail after 10 minutes on my last night cache)

Print outs of Caches, I also use these to write any notes or new extra cords on and later review to help when filling out logs

Maps or any other info that may be helpful

Several Pens

Several swag/trade drop off items

Trackables

Ruber Bands

Length of Rope (parachute cord)

Duck Tape

A few Magnets

Tweezers

Going to start carrying a few extra logs (a few micro and a few bigger ones) to replace gone, full, missing or wet ones...

2 Way Radio with Emergency channel

Few Cliff Bars

Water Purifier Tablets

Some type of Bug Repelent

Sun Screen

Hat

Glock 21 (only when in really rural country areas, not in the city or county)

Couple of Geo-pals if possible, good company is always a plus