How does the Nuvi work for caching?

Hey I'm a newbie and just got my first find the other day. I used my Garmin Nuvi 255w from my car and let me tell you it was horrible. I ended up wasting way too much time wandering around with the Nuvi trying to get to the cache. While the Nuvi 255w is great in the car, it doesn't work on the trail (even had mine set to pedestrian mode while caching).

I spent some time reading reviews and compared different units. I was looking for a multi-use gps that would work well for geocaching, is water-resistant so I can take it kayaking, can be mounted on a bike and would do well 4x4 in the woods. I ended up ordering a Delorme PN-40 from Tigergps.com got an incredible price on it and I can't wait for it to be delivered tomorrow.

Good luck!

Hey I'm a newbie and just got my first find the other day. I used my Garmin Nuvi 255w from my car and let me tell you it was horrible. I ended up wasting way too much time wandering around with the Nuvi trying to get to the cache. While the Nuvi 255w is great in the car, it doesn't work on the trail (even had mine set to pedestrian mode while caching).

I spent some time reading reviews and compared different units. I was looking for a multi-use gps that would work well for geocaching, is water-resistant so I can take it kayaking, can be mounted on a bike and would do well 4x4 in the woods. I ended up ordering a Delorme PN-40 from Tigergps.com got an incredible price on it and I can't wait for it to be delivered tomorrow.

Good luck!

Thanks galen222

I have a NUVI 500 and it works well, but I am hving some file issues currently. It is actually set up with a geocaching menue. It also works very well in the car. You can set it to a walking mode that gives you most of the features of my GPSMAP60. The nice part about the NUVI is that it holds all of the file data so you have everything you need for paperless caching.

Hello, I am in need of a new GPS and am thinking of getting an all in one for my car and geocaching. Is the Garmin Nuvi line very good at this? Any help or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks

I like the flexibility of having a Nuvi with text to speech in the car, and a separate hand held when out hiking / geocaching.

When I got a nuvi 255 for car routing, I downloaded the GSAK macro by Pilotsnipes just to see what it would do. it's fantastic! I still use my trusty eXplorist 500 for hiking, but I have started slipping the Nuvi in a hard case and taking it along in case I want to see the cache page info. The macro instructions tell you how to use it off road, so the answer to your question is basically Yes! if you are technically challanged like I am, getting the macro up and running can be frustrating (took me several days of working on it for several hours a day), but it was well worth the trouble!

...I downloaded the GSAK macro by Pilotsnipes just to see what it would do. it's fantastic!

Well, while you may think that "this is as good as it gets", it can actually be even better. I used that macro for quite a while but now I use the Advanced Nuvi Macro by jjreds01 which works together with the spoilersync macro. I now can not only choose the order of the information (I have the hint first, then the last 5 logs and lastly the description) but I also have the spoilerpics for all caches. I currently have 14000-15000 caches with hints, 5 last logs, full description AND spoilerpic in my Nüvi 255.

And for the original question, I found my first 140+ caches with a Nüvi. It's not as bad as some may think if you use it right.

...I downloaded the GSAK macro by Pilotsnipes just to see what it would do. it's fantastic!

Well, while you may think that "this is as good as it gets", it can actually be even better. I used that macro for quite a while but now I use the Advanced Nuvi Macro by jjreds01 which works together with the spoilersync macro. I now can not only choose the order of the information (I have the hint first, then the last 5 logs and lastly the description) but I also have the spoilerpics for all caches. I currently have 14000-15000 caches with hints, 5 last logs, full description AND spoilerpic in my Nüvi 255.

And for the original question, I found my first 140+ caches with a Nüvi. It's not as bad as some may think if you use it right.

I know that the macro by jjreds01 can do more, but remember, I am techno-challenged. The best thing about the PS macro is the relative ease of getting it working.

BTW, if you have that many caches in your Nuvi, how do you deal with found caches? One of the minor inconveniences for me is having to re-do the PQ and then run the macro again after I've found a bunch of the caches in the current batch.

BTW, if you have that many caches in your Nuvi, how do you deal with found caches? One of the minor inconveniences for me is having to re-do the PQ and then run the macro again after I've found a bunch of the caches in the current batch.

I have all the Swedish caches in GSAK and I use lot of PQ:s to get them all (using a schedule based on published date). It takes about a week to get the whole lot of it so I do not do that very often. However I do have another PQ with my 500 closest caches that I run every day. If I've found ones that are further away, then I just download them manually or run the "My finds" query. I always try to make sure that GSAK is up-to-date with my latest finds. I then re-run the macro several times a week, or in fact, the macros because I run another macro for my Legend HCx. Sure, it takes some time to run the macros but if I am in a hurry then I use a GSAK filter to just filter out my 700-800 nearest caches.