Choosing your reviewer

I've had my caches reviewed by 3 different reviewers. I've had better luck getting my caches published with certain reviewers than with others. Is there a way to select/request which reviewer will review my submitted geocaches??????? It'd be swell if there was.

Not really. The review system is organized geographically. Whomever is covering a particular country, province or state on a particlar day will look at your cache.

Sometimes multiple reviewers cover a busy state. Here in Pennsylvania, there are four of us. You can hide a cache at longitude 77 59.00 and OReviewer will publish it within an hour, and another cache you submitted at the same time at longitude 78 01.000 will take days and days before the slowpoke covering that area gets around to it.

Sometimes multiple reviewers split up an area according to days of the week. One will cover caches hidden Monday through Thursday and the other will handle the busy weekend traffic. Figure out the pattern and submit your cache on your favorite reviewer's watch.

Sometimes your cache will be reviewed by a roving backup reviewer, who steps in to help during busy times or when the primary reviewer is taking a break. I see that the backup reviewer for Canada has helped out with publishing some of your caches in Saskatchewan. If that's the reviewer you like, well, unfortunately he or she may be helping out in Nova Scotia at the time of your next cache hide.

The point is, there is not a lot of room for special requests, given the volume of caches to be reviewed each week. I recommend developing a good working relationship with all the reviewers who regularly cover your area. While we may have different styles, we are all here to help and we like publishing caches a lot more than archiving them.

I see that you have a perfect record with getting your caches published, so it's clear you are doing something right. Keep on hiding them!

Edited by Keystone

I see that you have a perfect record with getting your caches published, so it's clear you are doing something right. Keep on hiding them!

Thank you very much for your reply, it is very helpful. I'm frustrated because I've gotten certain caches published (in rural cemeteries) in the past, but now all of a sudden and out of the blue, it's "offensive" to hide caches in rural cemeteries. I've hidden at least 3 in rural cemeteries before with no problems. But now it's a different story - from the same reviewer!!! It doesn't make any sense!? Oh well, I'll just keep trying. Thanks again for your input on this issue.

Also there is no precedence according to the website rules. Meaning just because someone else did it, (or you yourself did it). Doesnt mean it will be allowed again.

I have run into some trouble publishing one near a railroad line, and couldnt understand why this person suddenly had an attitude towards my hides. I had recently done a cache in a major city at a Subway station where you had to walk out onto the platform to find the cache!! Why was my backroad cache having problems?? Was i jumping into the game to quickly? unwritten rules i didnt understand? No. and No.

Turns out googlemaps showed the former rail line (the trail it was placed on) as a still working rail line, even though there were'nt even any tracks there anymore.

It is a volunteer job, and overall we are very lucky the system is as quick and well oiled as it is, i think.

Edited by BareFeat

You guys and your (no longer so) top-secret tools!! I think I'm gonna start a new thread, "Hey, Keystone... what is MY cache publication score?" :unsure:

I've heard that it's a good idea to change out your reviewer every 1500 caches.

I haven't reached that yet, but can anyone tell me what a good replacement brand would be for a reviewer? I operate a Garmin Legend.

xyzzy

On the flip side... can Reviewers pick the cachers that they want to review for?

I haven't reached that yet, but can anyone tell me what a good replacement brand would be for a reviewer? I operate a Garmin Legend.

xyzzy

On the flip side... can Reviewers pick the cachers that they want to review for?

:unsure:

If so - I must drive them off quickly - I think I once counted 14 different reviewers for my caches over the years.

xyzzy

:unsure:

If so - I must drive them off quickly - I think I once counted 14 different reviewers for my caches over the years.

Nah, since all Reviewers are Mtn-Man it would do you no good to choose another of his persona. :blink:

Why was my backroad cache having problems?? Was i jumping into the game to quickly? unwritten rules i didnt understand? No. and No.

Turns out googlemaps showed the former rail line (the trail it was placed on) as a still working rail line, even though there were'nt even any tracks there anymore.

That's a good point. Sometimes the map the reviewer is using may not be updated to reflect changes in the area.

Generally, I try to give them as much info as I can to help them determine if the cache is okay or not. For instance, I'll let them know that the school appearing on the map is no longer there and is now a nature center at a new town park, or the railroad that appears on the map is long gone and is now a paved rails to trail or something like that.

I've had my caches reviewed by 3 different reviewers. I've had better luck getting my caches published with certain reviewers than with others. Is there a way to select/request which reviewer will review my submitted geocaches??????? It'd be swell if there was.

If only it were so! :ph34r: