Releasing a replacement coin - original MIA

SaltercreaseRangers

Hi

We have suffered our first casualty and one of our coins has gone missing - still in the hands of the first person to pick it up :laughing: (still logging finds, not responding to emails etc etc)

After a six month wait I feel we have waited long enough for this to reappear and so have given it up as lost - I want to send out a replacement

What can anyone recommend to manufacture a replacement - I have Shrinkies, laminating machine, films etc + allegedly too much printing tech' that I can use to make a facsimile.

Also, how should I describe the replacement ?

is there an accepted 'in-memorium' message to attach or should we just start afresh ?

TIA

Mac

It's interesting that you've posted this right now because I've recently decided to do something about my many geocoins which have gone MIA.

I'm using a different approach: Instead of manufacturing a copy of the coin that actually looks like the missing coin I've decided to send out proxy replacement items, which will be clearly named as such.

A few examples

Blorenge's bulldog, no longers a real geocoin unfortunately...grrrrrrrrrrrr

Porsche write-off - no longer a geocoin, unfortunately.

Poxy proxy, the IOM scapecentipede. (This one does have a laminate copy of the original geocoin attached because I actually have another IOM geocoin in my collection which MrB used to scan.)

Welsh Californian poppy, reseeding by proxy.

For each one I've tried to give a bit of background as to why the proxy item has been sent out. I just hope they all gain a few more miles and give some amusement to those cachers who come across them.

MrsB

Are you talking about your Cacheola Cache coin held hostage by the Warris Family? They do appear to NOT be collecting coins from caches as they have dropped off nearly 95% of their grabs. Currently they are holding only 2 coins that they logged out of caches (one can learn a lot about a cacher by going over their profile... even more can be gleaned from reading their logs).

With 3 kids it's possible your coin has found it's way to the bottom of a drawer or toy bin and with 127 cache finds and 36 trackable icons on their profile you can assume they know what they're doing when it comes to geocaching and moving trackeables.

I'd suggest you continue to write them (kindly, mind you) reminding them of how anxious you are to see your coin back in circulation and out travelling. Putting out a Proxy at this point (it got picked up in late January which is a long time but not long enough to label it MISSING or STOLEN) is a bit premature and whiny.

It's interesting that you've posted this right now because I've recently decided to do something about my many geocoins which have gone MIA.

I'm using a different approach: Instead of manufacturing a copy of the coin that actually looks like the missing coin I've decided to send out proxy replacement items, which will be clearly named as such.

A few examples

Poxy proxy, the IOM scapecentipede. (This one does have a laminate copy of the original geocoin attached because I actually have another IOM geocoin in my collection which MrB used to scan.)

For each one I've tried to give a bit of background as to why the proxy item has been sent out. I just hope they all gain a few more miles and give some amusement to those cachers who come across them.

MrsB

Wow - I really love these MrsB. What a unique way to send out proxies for your MIA coins! Very inspirational. Well done. :laughing:

A few examples

MrsB

Ah, MrsB- I love the scapecentipede! You will have to let all of us know how long it took before all the legs were taken off.

Edited by usyoopers