Garmin 60CSx vs. Magellan Triton 500

I've been looking to get a new GPS Unit, my buddy just got a garmin 60CSx, It seemed to work quite well for the few hours we went out. Was at Futureshop today and came across the Mag Triton 500, almost half the price, still has the compass and barometer and geocache ability, and the ability to give turn by turn instructions while on road as well I do believe.

I am interested to hear some pros, cons and opinions or possible suggestions on other units from the local community. Oh, if it makes much difference I am up here in canada as well.

Thanks,

wrtiii

Magellan Triton 500

http://www.magellangps.com/products/produc...amp;prodID=1916

Product Number: 980-0003-001

PHYSICAL

Case Rubber armored impact-resistant plastic, water-resistant seal, IPX-7

Pre-Loaded Maps Built-in basemap of Contiguous U.S., Alaska, Canada and Worldwide Geographic Boundaries

Size 4.65" x 2.16" x 1.22"

Weight 6.6 oz (187.1 g) - w/ battery

Screen Size 2.2" (5.59cm) diagonal, QVGA (240 x 320) resolution, LED backlit

SD RAM SD Card

Memory available for map storage Secure Digital (SD) Card

Antenna Type Built-in multidirectional patch

Keypad Nine direct-access keys

Operating Range 14 to 140°F (-10 to 60°C)

PERFORMANCE

GPS SiRF Star III™ 20 channels, WAAS/EGNOS

Acquisition Time Hot: 20 seconds, Cold: 60 seconds, Initial: 2 minutes

Update Rate Once per second

GPS Accuracy 3 to 5 meters (10 - 16 feet) - WAAS/EGNOS, < 7 meters (15 feet) - GPS only

Languages English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Portuguese.

Coordinate Systems Latitude/Longitude, UTM, OSGB, Irish, Swiss, Swedish, Finnish, German, French, USNG, MGRS, Indian, Dutch.

POWER

Source Two AA Batteries (not included)

Battery Life 10 hours

Amazing ease-of-use - Reinventing handheld GPS™, simple menus, instant access buttons, intuitive keypad and crystal clear graphics let you navigate without the need for a Ph.D.

3-axis electronic compass - Clearly see your direction no matter how you hold your GPS, even when standing still

Barometer - Sensitive barometric pressure readings offer advance notice of changing weather and assists in providing accurate elevation

Full-color 2.2" display - The large display shows maps, simple menus, navigation screens and other data in brilliant color

SD-card compatibility - An invaluable feature enables you to use an unlimited amount of map data for topographic and marine navigation.

Add detailed maps - Upload optional marine cartography, topographic maps, and more, including the highly-detailed and feature-packed National Geographic TOPO! State series and Weekend Explorer 3D maps to your OWN SD cards

Built-in maps - Basemap of the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska, and Canada (major highways, city centers, bodies of water and more) plus worldwide geographic boundaries

3-meter accuracy - SiRFstarIII™ chipset and integrated multidirectional antennae offer superior GPS accuracy using the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS)

Garmin 60CSx

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145...=310#featureTab

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.4" x 6.1" x 1.3" (6.1 x 15.5 x 3.3 cm)

Display size, WxH: 1.5" x 2.2" (3.8 x 5.6 cm)

Display resolution, WxH: 160 x 240 pixels

Display type: 256 level color TFT

Weight: 7.5 oz (213 g) with batteries

Battery: 2 AA batteries (not included)

Battery life: 18 hours, typical

Waterproof: yes (IPX7)

Floats: no

High-sensitivity receiver: yes

Interface: serial and USB

RoHS version available: yes

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes

Preloaded maps: no

Ability to add maps: yes

Built-in memory: no

Accepts data cards: 64 MB microSD™ card (included)

Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1000

Routes: 50

Track log: 10,000 points, 20 saved tracks

Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes

Electronic compass: yes

Touchscreen: no

Barometric altimeter: yes

Geocaching-friendly: yes

Outdoor GPS games: yes

Hunt/fish calendar: yes

Sun and moon information: yes

Tide tables: no

Area calculation: yes

Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes

Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): no

Picture viewer: no

he GPSMAP 60CSx adds several performance-enhancing features to the popular 60-series products, including a removable microSD™ card, high-sensitivity GPS receiver, barometric altimeter and electronic compass.

Pinpoint Your Location — and Direction

With the GPSMAP 60CSx, you can find your way in almost any conditions:

High-sensitivity GPS receiver gives you improved satellite reception even in heavy tree cover or deep canyons

Barometric altimeter provides extremely accurate elevation data

Electronic compass can determine your heading and direction, even when you're standing still

IPX7 waterproof case can withstand an accidental dunk in the water and still perform

Large, color TFT display makes viewing the screen easy, day or night

Built-in Americas autoroute basemap, including highways, exits and tide data, gives you automatic, turn-by-turn directions

Add More Detail

The 60CSx comes with a blank 64 megabyte (MB) microSD card, so you can store extra maps from optional MapSource® mapping software. Just connect to your computer with the USB cable, and you can load map data or transfer routes and waypoints. You can even purchase microSD cards that are preloaded with MapSource maps, which means you don't have to connect to your computer. The microSD card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you never have to worry about water getting inside.

Don't know anything about the Magellan Triton 500 but you can't go wrong with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. For my money it's the best GPS available if you don't need paperless caching or touch screen.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by RonFisk

Magellan has a dismal customer support system, best bet is the "Triton Forum", don't know the link.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=140085&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...view=getnewpost

This Forum has a search engine, it is your friend, unless it tells you something you don't want to hear, then it's your best friend, or worst enemy!

I've expressed some strong opinions regarding Magellan in the past, proper search will let you know what I think.

Never used the 60Csx, so can't rightly comment.

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Magellan has a dismal customer support system, best bet is the "Triton Forum", don't know the link.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=140085&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...view=getnewpost

This Forum has a search engine, it is your friend, unless it tells you something you don't want to hear, then it's your best friend, or worst enemy!

I've expressed some strong opinions regarding Magellan in the past, proper search will let you know what I think.

Never used the 60Csx, so can't rightly comment.

Norm

Triton forum http://www.tritonforum.com/forum/index.php...d321f9911048a91

The Tritons will not do turn by turn directions.

Edited by ricstone

I just purchaced a Triton 500 at a major retail store. It came with a Full TOPO Canada map as a bonus for the same price Magellan has listed on the web for the unit without the map. It came with a nice protective case and a cable.

I have no previous experience using a stand alone handhelp GPSr. (I have only used my Magellan 2200T vehicle unit, and my HTC Touch GPS enabled cell phone) and find it extremely easy to use and it seems very accurate so far.

I have just started downloading caches into it using the Vanatagepoint software that you download, and that process seems fairly easy. You can D/L the basic cache info (pretty much cache name, type, and coordinates) in a .LOC file format right from the caches webpage.

I believe the .GPX file format offers much more information (clues, hints, etc) but you must be a premium member to get these, and I am not.

Hope that helps

You're going to get plenty of "I'd stay away" answers for the Triton, mostly from those who have never even used the unit! It's the same with the DeLormes (they hear something bad and assume it is gospel). Having owned a Maggie (500LE), I can tell you the unit was very easy to use, worked like a charm and never gave me much of a problem, I'd assume the same would be true for the Tritons, but am speculating much like the naysayers.

Customer service has been notoriously bad for Magellan, but I hear it's getting much better (hearsay, but worth mentioning)...this will be the biggest reason against the Triton, just remember that needing the CS is not a given (but it could happen).

I have heard good things about the Triton, but know the 60CSx is a good unit as well. The Triton will do many things the 60 cannot (and vice versa of course)...it's up to you to decide what features you want and what price value you award these features!

FWIW, I've used multiple Tritons and both the DeLorme PN-20 and PN-40. I consider the latter an excellent unit, the PN-20 an okay unit, and the Tritons a plague to be avoided at all costs. (dadgum, did I just say that in a public forum?)

EDITED to note: Wow, I got censored by Groundspeak for using a 4 letter word similar to "dam." Apparently, it automatically replaced it with the word "dadgum." I never knew they would do that! I wonder if it will let me use the acronym WTF!?

Edited by Redwoods Mtn Biker

FWIW, I've used multiple Tritons and both the DeLorme PN-20 and PN-40. I consider the latter an excellent unit, the PN-20 an okay unit, and the Tritons a plague to be avoided at all costs. (dadgum, did I just say that in a public forum?)

EDITED to note: Wow, I got censored by Groundspeak for using a 4 letter word similar to "dam." Apparently, it automatically replaced it with the word "dadgum." I never knew they would do that! I wonder if it will let me use the acronym WTF!?

Maybe some info about WHY you consider it a plague might be helpful to the OP? :) Telling us you hated it really doesn't do much for helping the OP at all...and if you'd include info such as when you used the Tritons and if they were equipped with the latest firmware etc, might be helpful??

You will find that every brand/model of GPSr on the market has a group of "positive feel-good group" cheerleading fans, AND another group that "bitterly hates it" and will NEVER buy anything else from that company again.

.. both groups do have "some" valid points. Grain of salt time :)

Maybe some info about WHY you consider it a plague might be helpful to the OP? :) Telling us you hated it really doesn't do much for helping the OP at all...and if you'd include info such as when you used the Tritons and if they were equipped with the latest firmware etc, might be helpful??

Fair enough. You can read my Triton 1500 review for some details. Since writing that though, my 1500 has bricked, and I don't even consider it worthwhile to try to fix it. My main problem is with VantagePoint though, which seems quite buggy (although I did see that new version is out today). If you check the Triton forums, you'll still see new users struggling with getting Vantage Point to work and connect with their Tritons. I've more recently used a Triton 2000, and I was no more impressed with it.

As a moderator here recently said, friends don't let friends buy Tritons.

Maybe some info about WHY you consider it a plague might be helpful to the OP? :D Telling us you hated it really doesn't do much for helping the OP at all...and if you'd include info such as when you used the Tritons and if they were equipped with the latest firmware etc, might be helpful??

Fair enough. You can read my Triton 1500 review for some details. Since writing that though, my 1500 has bricked, and I don't even consider it worthwhile to try to fix it. My main problem is with VantagePoint though, which seems quite buggy (although I did see that new version is out today). If you check the Triton forums, you'll still see new users struggling with getting Vantage Point to work and connect with their Tritons. I've more recently used a Triton 2000, and I was no more impressed with it.

As a moderator here recently said, friends don't let friends buy Tritons.

:( The link and your concerns are helpful!! I've never had a Tgriton and don't think I've ever seen one outside a store, but I know I balked at buying it myself! B)

I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS brick/doorstop that suffers from the loss of WAAS satellites issue. Customer service at Magellan is horrendous. Basically their response was, oh well. Based on my experience with Magellan Customer service I will only look at Garmin or DeLorme for a replacement GPS. My 2¢.

Just spent a week-and-a-half doing field work in the Curlew National Grasslands in southern Idaho. Had the Magellan Triton 500, Garmin GPSmap 60CSx, Garmin GPS 60 (the original in the 60 series), and a Trimble GeoExplorer 2008 Series GeoXH (survey grade GPS), with me and so I decided to compare them as long as I had them all together in one place at the same time. Note, I did not use the Trimble to navigate by, only to mark positions which were then post-processed for location accuracy. First, battery life, constantly on (no, they weren't on for the four hours of sleep I got per day), compass and barometer off, and in navigate to waypoint mode for the 49 points that had to be located: using Duracell 2650 mAh Rechargeables in the Magellan and Garmin units, the GPS 60 averaged 19.4 hours battery life, GPSmap 60CSx averaged 18.6 hours, the Magellan Triton 500 (major battery hog) just 4.2 hours (yes the manual says rechargeables are not recommended, when we first got the Tritons in the lab, we trained on them using brand new Duracell Ultra Alkalines and still never got more than 5-1/2 hours of battery life). Yes all were set up for power saving mode. Triton has best built-in base map with major and some minor roads; 60 CSx only major roads; GPS 60 with no roads. Satellite lock performance: 60 CSx - 1st in lock-on speed and tied for 1st for hold in tree cover/canyons; Triton - a close 2nd in lock-on speed but last for hold in tree cover/canyons (would not hold on the WAAS birds in any cover/no cover situation and had trouble holding lock in tree cover/canyon situations); GPS 60 - slowest for intitial satellite lock-in but tied for 1st with 60CSx for hold in tree cover/canyons (yes, the quad-helix antenna design is better for these situations). Most important of all, positional accuracy (averaged over 49 locations; waypoint averaging not used on the Garmins as not available on the Triton). Trimble: pre-processed - 58.62 cm, differential post-processed - 3.264 cm. GPS 60: 1.7376 meters (SURPRISE!!!-just out*******standing for "old technology"). 60CSx: 1.92024 meters. Triton: a disappointing 3.90144 meters. A couple of other issues with the Triton: the buttons are small and very diificult to manipulate with cold fingers; the Vantage Point software will not run on any of the computers in our lab (laptop or desktop, XP or Vista) -- instant system crash resulting in the dreaded Windows BSOD with memory dump.