I still have a couple to do then. :unsure:

As of Monday evening, the last time my data base was updated, there were :-

32,300 active traditional caches

4,710 active multi-caches

3,602 active mystery caches

202 active virtual caches

811 active assorted other types of cache

I still have a couple to do then. :unsure:

To think, when I started I could almost count them on my fingers!

You must have a lot of fingers. There were 43 UK caches on the day you signed up.

Well, I did say almost!

How did you find that out? I'm pretty sure that when I looked when first interested there were fewer than that but it was eight years ago. Maybe I'm muddling it with the registered cachers as I do know one list showed only about ten people registered before me.

Edited by Fellwanderer

You must have a lot of fingers. There were 43 UK caches on the day you signed up.

Well, I did say almost!

How did you find that out? I'm pretty sure that when I looked when first interested there were fewer than that but it was eight years ago. Maybe I'm muddling it with the registered cachers as I do know one list showed only about ten people registered before me.

I know because you signed up withing a few days of a good friend of mine. August 2001 - 43 UK caches.

If you want to return to that sort of cache density, just sign up with Navicache. :o

And even then they're mostly virtuals. :ph34r:

If you want to return to that sort of cache density, just sign up with Navicache. :P

And even then they're mostly virtuals. :blink:

Yup...I joined up to see if it would open up more caches to me locally, but the number within about twenty miles can be counted on the fingers of one hand, all hidden by the same person. The site seems to attract a lot of loyalty, which I guess is good, but I found it a horrible site to use, and I've only found one Navicache-listed cache so far. Whatever Groundspeak's perceived crimes are, this site is light years ahead in terms of usability, features, and - of course - sheer volume of caches. Quality is more important than quantity, sure, but I use my judgement to decide which caches to go for. I won't do it just because it's there (usually!).

Lee

Any idea how many cachers in the UK?

Any suggestions how to find out?

If you want to return to that sort of cache density, just sign up with Navicache. :P

And even then they're mostly virtuals. :P

Yup...I joined up to see if it would open up more caches to me locally, but the number within about twenty miles can be counted on the fingers of one hand, all hidden by the same person. The site seems to attract a lot of loyalty, which I guess is good, but I found it a horrible site to use, and I've only found one Navicache-listed cache so far. Whatever Groundspeak's perceived crimes are, this site is light years ahead in terms of usability, features, and - of course - sheer volume of caches. Quality is more important than quantity, sure, but I use my judgement to decide which caches to go for. I won't do it just because it's there (usually!).

Lee

First you have to define "cacher": someone who has found 1/10/100 caches this week/month/year/ever?

Yup - lots of people sign up to websites and never use them, or use them for a while and give up, or adopt different usernames etc. Finding the number of *active* UK cachers would be pretty diffcult. As an example, I host my blog at Livejournal, which in its ten-year history has seen about thirteen million accounts created. A huge number of those are inactive, and somewhere between 100 and 150 thousand accounts are accessed in a 24-hour period - but which ones of those thirteen million are accessed, it's impossible to tell.

Lee

I went to http://www.cacherstats.com/ and found that there are 2,582 cachers in the UK with more than 200 finds . However I would have thought that there were more than 2500 active cachers in the UK. I would guess judging from my cache logs that there must be more than 5,000.

Is there any way of finding out how many cachers there are in the uk with a hundred or more finds?

Does ground speak give the number of premium members in the UK?

First you have to define "cacher": someone who has found 1/10/100 caches this week/month/year/ever?

Yup - lots of people sign up to websites and never use them, or use them for a while and give up, or adopt different usernames etc. Finding the number of *active* UK cachers would be pretty diffcult. As an example, I host my blog at Livejournal, which in its ten-year history has seen about thirteen million accounts created. A huge number of those are inactive, and somewhere between 100 and 150 thousand accounts are accessed in a 24-hour period - but which ones of those thirteen million are accessed, it's impossible to tell.

Lee

I went to http://www.cacherstats.com/ and found that there are 2,582 cachers in the UK with more than 200 finds . However I would have thought that there were more than 2500 active cachers in the UK. I would guess judging from my cache logs that there must be more than 5,000.

Is there any way of finding out how many cachers there are in the uk with a hundred or more finds?

Lee

Lee

Lee