Cache Sizes

I sometimes make a point of adding something like "It's good to see a large cache like this!" to my online log when I find one of decent size.

As a cache owner, I find this line or its equivalent when it appears on my caches, annoying.

I know what I hid, you don't have to tell me. You're using my cache page to chide other cache owners for their container choices.

When it comes to size of container, it's rare that the cache seeker don't know upfront what size the cache is. If you want to find "regular" containers, hunt them.

Interesting...I find it just the opposite. Rather than really chiding other hiders, they're thanking you for hiding a larger container that they like....maybe trying to show you that it's appreciated in hopes you'll continue to hide more of the size they want to hunt?

I'd like some larger ones too.

A cache hidden within a cache.

Can you explain, without giving anything away, how this would work? It may be the term "cache" I'm stuck on, but wouldn't that violate the 0.10 mile rule? Or are you using the term "cache" as just a container, and you'd have to find the correct smaller container inside to get the one and only smiley for the location?

more than once.............. :)

Well, I've just received a large number of decent sized tins from my work and will begin creating some new cache sites in my area, including the first EVER cache within a cache. A cache hidden within a cache.

I like the enthusiasm! Not sure the cache in a cache idea is new but don't let that stop you. Go out and build a cache that you would love to find and others will love it to.

how many 35mm film cannisters will fit in a 5 gallon bucket? :P

As a relative noob, most of my many DNFs are micros and for a while I typically avoided them. But this past week I went to an area full of micros. I searched for 8 caches and one was a regular tupperware dish, one was a decon container, 2 were matchstick holders, and the rest were Bison tubes. I don't know if it's because I'm getting better or what, but I found all of them and had quite a bit of fun in the process.

I'm with the folks that say if you don't want micros then hunt for bigger caches. And if you want to increase the number of larger caches then plant some yourself.

All I know is that I try to enjoy every cache and am slowly becoming less intimidated by micros. In fact, once the weather cools off a bit I'm going to start avenging my DNFs and find those rascally micros that I've missed :)

more than once.............. :)

Well, I've just received a large number of decent sized tins from my work and will begin creating some new cache sites in my area, including the first EVER cache within a cache. A cache hidden within a cache.

Not to kill the idea (may have already been due to the date of the op post) but the 528 ft rule stands.

What about using a bear proof canister that Backpackers use to keep out the bears???

Not sure if this was a serious question but I used one of those the other day for the first time on a backpacking trip. The one I was using almost certainly wasn't waterproof and they are pretty expensive to buy. Much more expensive than an ammo can.

I sometimes make a point of adding something like "It's good to see a large cache like this!" to my online log when I find one of decent size.

As a cache owner, I find this line or its equivalent when it appears on my caches, annoying.

I know what I hid, you don't have to tell me. You're using my cache page to chide other cache owners for their container choices.

When it comes to size of container, it's rare that the cache seeker don't know upfront what size the cache is. If you want to find "regular" containers, hunt them.

I'm sorry, I'm going to continue to let cache owners know what I appreciate about their cache when I log my finds.

(edit: my 666th forum post... creepy...)

Edited by Arrow42

Interesting...I find it just the opposite. Rather than really chiding other hiders, they're thanking you for hiding a larger container that they like....maybe trying to show you that it's appreciated in hopes you'll continue to hide more of the size they want to hunt?

I've done it myself in certain areas. Perhaps it will encourage the owner to place more larger caches. Perhaps it will let other area hiders know that these caches are appreciated by a small segment of geoachers.