Geocaching without a GPSr

darkangel313

Is it possible to geocache without a GPSr? I thought maybe I could use google earth but that isn't working for me. When zoomed all the way in it is just blurry and you can't really see anything. Maybe google earth just doesn't work on macs. Is there something I can use so I can see if I really like geocaching before buying a GPSr? Any suggestions?

I would say definitely yes...many of the caches I've found thus far (and I am a rank newbie to this sport) have been in urban or suburban locations and have been really well described. So unless all your nearby caches are way out in the woods, or puzzle caches, you should be able to find some that are obvious even without a GPS receiver.

So for example, look for ones that say "magnetic, corner post" or other such obvious clue, involving an obvious or unique landmark. You'll of course be able to figure out the addresses and driving directions from Google maps. Proceed to the locations and you will probably find some of these caches just fine.

But there's something very gratifying about using your GPS to guide you right to an "off the beaten path" location with a minimum of fuss, to find a well hidden cache in seconds...

Leaving the Mac vs PC debate for another thread on another board, in this case it doesn't matter. Some areas in Google Earth were photographic with a higher resolution than other areas. It appears that larger metro areas have high res pictures while the more rural areas are a 'bit fuzzy.'

On a slighly related note, I have also seen some areas where pictures were taken when there was snow on the ground but views of the property next door were taken a couple months later and has green grass.

-edit for grammar-

Edited by DiamondDaveG

Leaving the Mac vs PC debate for another thread on another board, in this case it doesn't matter. Some areas in Google Earth were photographic with a higher resolution than other areas. It appears that larger metro areas have high res pictures while the more rural areas are a 'bit fuzzy.'

On a slighly related note, I have also seen some areas where pictures were taken when there was snow on the ground but views of the property next door were taken a couple months later and has green grass.

-edit for grammar-

ALMOST without exception your use of a Mac shouldn't make any difference (the Wherigo caches are one major exception).

From the voice of experience, we can assure you that it IS possible to find caches without a GPSr (we found about 500 without one), but it is obviously easier if you can use one. The two primary advantages of a GPSr are better accuracy for your search area and better relative location of caches. (A map may show you where one cache is, but a GPSr can show you which caches are nearby.)

We can affirm the suggestions already made and maybe add a few more. . .

Urban caches (or anywhere else with distictive landmarks) are easier to find, as well as larger caches.

We found the most useful maps for us were the maps from the "Google Maps" link from the "For online maps. . ." section of the cache webpage (just above the logs).

As for puzzle caches, we just solved the puzzle and then edited the coordinates (on the Google Maps page) in the Search Maps box (and then hit Search Maps again). From there they were just as easy (or hard) as any other cache.

Read the full cache description as well as the hints. As stated before, sometimes these are often helpful and sometime even a dead giveaway.

In addition to the resolution differences on Google (in one case we could count the number of cars in the driveway for one house, but couldn't even make out the house just a few blocks away), keep in mind that Google is constantly updating its maps. What may have been very fuzzy a few months ago, may now be quite clear or what may have been a open field, now shows the new shopping center. So keep checking back periodically.

Finally, sometimes you may be able to borrow a GPSr. (For example, in our situation, our State Parks will actually loan one to you to find the caches in that specific State Park--primarily the ones place by the State Parks division themselves).

Good luck and hope you can eventually be able to get one for your use sometime soon.

We've found over a hundred caches just using google Earth, when either our GPS was broken or not with us for some reason. It is difficult, and doesn't work in really wooded areas, but we do stuff like count landmarks and calculate distances by looking at the image, but we also work with maps for a living. I think you can get a good GPSr for not too much money though, it's definitely worth it.

-Rozie

Is it possible to geocache without a GPSr? I thought maybe I could use google earth but that isn't working for me. When zoomed all the way in it is just blurry and you can't really see anything. Maybe google earth just doesn't work on macs. Is there something I can use so I can see if I really like geocaching before buying a GPSr? Any suggestions?

You may want to look at LetterBoxing which only shows clues as to were it is/no GPS info involved. Just found out about this yesterday.

Not many around, but would give you good experience if you do get a GPSr.

Edited by BrrrMo

No GPS? No problem.. Use a MAC. Excellent..... Don't worry yourself with Google Earth, just use the satellite image provided on the regular cache page. I zoom in a click to get it closer to 1:10000 which gives plenty of detail over most of the US. 2500 GPS-less finds so far.....

Edited by edscott

I found one in a small park, was a two parter, but park was so small,

the sat footprint was larger than the park, so left it in car,

hunted and found the final micro, and signed the log.

Why a two parter in a park so small, I don't understand.

Never did find the 1st micro, but didn't need to, got the

one with the log, and signed it.

I may try this again with multis in small parks,

could get lucky, only counts for 1 point, anyway!

-edit for grammar-

ALMOST without exception your use of a Mac shouldn't make any difference (the Wherigo caches are one major exception).

From the voice of experience, we can assure you that it IS possible to find caches without a GPSr (we found about 500 without one), but it is obviously easier if you can use one. The two primary advantages of a GPSr are better accuracy for your search area and better relative location of caches. (A map may show you where one cache is, but a GPSr can show you which caches are nearby.)

We can affirm the suggestions already made and maybe add a few more. . .

Urban caches (or anywhere else with distictive landmarks) are easier to find, as well as larger caches.

We found the most useful maps for us were the maps from the "Google Maps" link from the "For online maps. . ." section of the cache webpage (just above the logs).

As for puzzle caches, we just solved the puzzle and then edited the coordinates (on the Google Maps page) in the Search Maps box (and then hit Search Maps again). From there they were just as easy (or hard) as any other cache.

Read the full cache description as well as the hints. As stated before, sometimes these are often helpful and sometime even a dead giveaway.

In addition to the resolution differences on Google (in one case we could count the number of cars in the driveway for one house, but couldn't even make out the house just a few blocks away), keep in mind that Google is constantly updating its maps. What may have been very fuzzy a few months ago, may now be quite clear or what may have been a open field, now shows the new shopping center. So keep checking back periodically.

Finally, sometimes you may be able to borrow a GPSr. (For example, in our situation, our State Parks will actually loan one to you to find the caches in that specific State Park--primarily the ones place by the State Parks division themselves).

Good luck and hope you can eventually be able to get one for your use sometime soon.

Opps, we just discovered something that many other Premium Members are also not aware of--the wonderful online maps section that has great links to Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, etc. is ONLY available to Premium Members. Since we have not seen the caches pages the other way, we didn't realize that these do not appear for all. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. However, you can still cut and paste coordinates to google maps.