public property?

3isamagic#

ok, So I have found several caches, helped some bugs and coins along, found a signature item for now, requested supplies for my birthday, taught the children how to work the gps so I can scan for the cache and I think I am ready to hide my first cache.

But HOW do I know where it is ok?

I have read the info on Geocaching.com

Is there a list of places that are always ok?

Public parks

Parking lots??

State parks?

How do I find out if an empty field is owned and by whom???

If you could just give me a list of the "everybody knows that these places are public property" then I could try some caches out there.

My area has a lot, so I think there is a rule about how close to another cache you can place them.

I have watched all of geosnippits...I think I am almost ready.

Please advise!

ok, So I have found several caches, helped some bugs and coins along, found a signature item for now, requested supplies for my birthday, taught the children how to work the gps so I can scan for the cache and I think I am ready to hide my first cache.

Public parks

Parking lots??

State parks?

If you could just give me a list of the "everybody knows that these places are public property" then I could try some caches out there.

My area has a lot, so I think there is a rule about how close to another cache you can place them.

Please advise!

I find alot of caches around parks, but I tried planting some my self but they happened to be in national trust areas where you need consent from the owner. But fields ive not had a problem yet in hiding any.

I find a lot of caches around parks, but I tried planting some my self but they happened to be in national trust areas where you need consent from the owner. But fields ive not had a problem yet in hiding any.

In the UK check out the GAGB website (link in my sig) They have agreements with several National Trust areas, and may have an agreement with one near you. If not, it's a starting point for you to get permission. The National Trust are Geocache friendly (mostly!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Public parks

Parking lots??

State parks?

Please advise!

It's hard to tell what's available in your area our county government web site has property tax maps online so it's pretty easy to find out who owns a property where I'm considering placing a cache.

Most of the public parks you'll find are managed by the town or city. You can probably find out what their general policy is regarding geocaching. State Parks are similar. In my neck of the woods, most State Parks are somewhat restrictive on the number of geocaches that are allowed to be placed (and require a permit). However, State Forests are generally pretty open for geocaches.

Parking lots are, in most cases, privately owned by the business associated with them and should be considered private property.

I like to talk to local government. Police stations, fire stations, park departments, libraries.

Businesses will sometimes allow them too. Think outside the box.

I think it comes down to how comfortable you are assuming that you have "adequate permission." We have been working with a local park systems board to place caches in their parks. Wouldn't you know it a new cacher just placed 5 caches in their parks in the last week. I am certain none had permission as we have been working with them for a month. (Now how does that make geocachers look?)

Or you can just drive around and throw a film can somewhere and *hope* that it isnt a problem. :rolleyes::lol:

Public parks

Parking lots??

State parks?

Please advise!

The easy answer is that there is no true 'public' property. All property is 'owned' by someone and under their control. It just depends on who owns it and what amount of micro-managing they do.

Control over a 'Public Park' could range anywhere from the Township Trustees up through a control board of the state they are in.

Parking lots are always owned by the company that owns the building where it is located.

I have never seen a list like the one you are looking for.

The best way is to determine who owns the land, contact them and ask them their policy on cache placements.

Yes, there is a guideline about how close caches are located. Currently it is set at 528 feet. This is not a hard and fast rule but there needs to be a very good reason for them to be closer (opposite sides of a river but requires a 30 miles drive to get from one to another, etc).

Edited by DiamondDaveG

I like to talk to local government. Police stations, fire stations, park departments, libraries.

Businesses will sometimes allow them too. Think outside the box.

I think it comes down to how comfortable you are assuming that you have "adequate permission." We have been working with a local park systems board to place caches in their parks. Wouldn't you know it a new cacher just placed 5 caches in their parks in the last week. I am certain none had permission as we have been working with them for a month. (Now how does that make geocachers look?)

Or you can just drive around and throw a film can somewhere and *hope* that it isnt a problem. :laughing:;)

There are a number of businesses that allow caches either for the added traffic or just the fun of watching cachers try to be stealthy.

I too was working on a presentation about caching to be shown to a local board for approval of placement of about 5 caches in their park. I had everything except the exact coordinates when another cacher placed 4 caches. I don't know if they had explicit approval or not. I just let it go and didn't force the permission issue.

Public parks

Parking lots??

State parks?

Please advise!

At the risk of being called an a**####, the fact that you had to ask the question you did indicates that you are not ready to hide your first Cache.

There is so much info on Groundspeak and via Google that you should research, before your first Cache, if you don't want it referred to as a Lame cache.

Appreciate your excitement, but some times slower is better.

Jim