I'm a noob and I've narrowed ti down to three GPS units...Opinions

ToastyTubes

Well, due to the hit and miss operation of the GPS opinion page and the large number of reviews, here it goes...

I have been caching with a friend for a short time, and I'm diggin it. Time to get my first GPS. He has the eTrex Summit® HC which is a fine unit. I should note that I generally try to baby my electronic equipment, so a really rugged unit isn't a must. I'd like the SD card option, geocaching mode, and electronic compass for sure, so I'm looking at:

eTrex Legend® HCx

-This is the least expensive of the options. Since it doesn't have any onboard RAM, does this effect the speed? I presume the controls are the same as the Summit. What maps do you recommend with this unit?

Colorado® 300

- I'm really liking the paperless caching that this could do. I saw one at a local store and thought its performance was kinda slow, but the controls were cool. I'd pick this over the touchscreen Oregon model as I fear a touchscreen wouldn't hold up. I've read that battery life isn't great with these, and it is the most expensive of my choices. Are the extra features worth it on this one, or would one of my other choices be a better place to start.

GPSMAP® 60CSx

-This seems to be a favorite among cachers. Would this be a preferred unit?

I would appreciated those with experience adding there thoughts. Thanks in advance!

-Toasty

Find a Delorme PN-40 and check it out. Had a Garmin etrek for years, works well for what for it is. Researched the PN-40 before buying because of price, but it is worth it. The PN has put me within 3 feet of all caches I've found, some I was nearly standing on...

I just wanted to point out that the Legend Hcx does NOT have an electronic compass. You said that was important to you, so I wanted to make sure you knew that. I have a Vista Hcx (which does have the elctronic compass) and my husband has the Legend Hcx and it's honestly amazing how much more effective the electronic compass is. Had I known how much better the electronic compass was, I never would have bought him the Legend, it's that much better. That said, I love our Vista. I've never used GPS units other than the two I mentioned above, but I'm very happy with the Vista, and it's a nice compromise between the Legend and the 60CSx.

Since paperless caching isn't a priority for you , of those I'd go with the 60CSX. It's a solid, workhorse of a unit with the best reception of any GPS I've ever used.

Some have mentioned the PN40. I have one and have mixed thoughts about it, but there are just too many issues with it for me to recommend it to anybody at the moment. Delorme seems serious about perfecting it and maybe in 6 months to a year it will be something I can recommend.

Out of the three you mentioned, people seem to prefer the 60csx, however, I just picked up a Colorado 400t from an online superstore whose name starts with "A" for $350 - only about $50 more than the low average for the 60csx, and I think it is wonderful! The paperless caching is a neat feature to have, and the Colorado has put me basically on top of every cache I have used it for. I am still new to Geocaching and this is only my personal opinion, but I think the colorado 400t was a great buy for the money - especially if you consider buying topo maps later. If you need to know the name of the retailer I mentioned, E-mail me. I am not going to advertise for them, but it was a great buy.

I'm new to this whole thing as well but here is my take FWIW.

I have a Zumo which I use on the motorcylce and car. Like the Nuvi's its touchscreen so I wouldn't worry about that issue. If I was confident the 400T was as good as it I'd get one as I love it. I haven't even done any Geocaching yet, just reading about it but enjoy hiking with wife and kids and would like a GPSr (I guess I need to start adding that little "r") to not get lost hiking.

Anywho after all the reading and mind changing I've been doing its looking like I'll get a 60CSx. I think it is just the best of the best. The 400T's look good but I feel Garmin may need a generation or two to work out the bugs.

I'm also trying to figure out how much of an issue (if any) paperless caching will be for me. It seems like doing it on a PDA is a major PIA or at least very involved, this coming from a Registered Technologist that runs medical CT and Linear Accelerators for a living. I guess I need to post/research some more before totally hijacking this thread.

Oh yeah I'm not afraid to mention that I find great prices/service, no salse tax and free delivery all the time for just about everything I purchase at amazon.com

Steve

Edited by daddysbike

I had a Garmin that I bought for about $90 several years ago. I recently went to an IPhone and use the GeoCaching app for it. I take my Garmin with me most of the time, but I haven't had to get it out except for one time (in the rain, when it was getting dark). My IPhone gets me there every time. With the new update I don't have to use any paper and can record my finds (or non-finds) from the field easily. I don't think I'd ever spend $300 or $400 on just a GPS unit - no matter how many bells and whistles. :laughing:

Edited by TeamMahoney

Other that an Eagle Explorer I started out with I have used Garmin for the last 10 years.

Legend, Legend Cx then the Legend HCx. All are good. I bought the wife a Colorado 400T two years ago and we like it but text entry is a pain. This year she bought me an Oregon 400T and it is the bomb! I don’t know what is in your area but here in Louisiana there is only one Wherigo cache. If Wherigo caching is your thing, then the Oregon if definitely the way to go.

JMHO

I have the 60CSx and I really do love this unit. I have recently purchased a second unit which is a Delorm PN-20 and have found this to be a very good unit also. So even though you have your mind set on the 3 listed you should not discredit teh Delorme they are very good units also.

If I was to do it all over again and was on a budget and was looking for doing paperless it would be Delorme all the way. I only have the PN-20 and have just started with the paperless features on it and all I can say is WOW. For $132 unit it is has all the bells and whistles and a few features out of the box my 60 does not have such as auto on road routing with out haveing to buy extra maps. This was not a big selling point for me as I use my Nuvi for on road routing for the most part any way but is very nice if I do not want to take 2 gps with me to go geo caching.

The 60 is still my favorite when it comes to battery life and screen visibilty. The delorme really lacks on battery life less than half of what I get out of the 60. I make sure I always have spare batteries on hand.

Good Luck.

Well, I've used three different units. Legend HCx, Oregon 300, and a Colorado. Heard a ton of great stuff about the Delorme GPS's but they don't do maps in Canada so I'd never bother.

My HCx is an awesome unit. I've managed now to get 2 meter accuracy with that little unit and I love it. Works real good and is dependable. No it doesn't have an electronic compass but I have never had a use for one so can't see why it would be such a big deal. Plus I've heard that many units with the electronic compass require calibrating time and time again. Not sure why.

Colorado & Oregon were both nice and excellent units. I can speak from experience to the post about Wherigo caches. They are hit and miss on an Oregon. Some work great, others not at all. No issues on the Colorado at all.

I love the idea of field notes on both the Colorado and Oregon. Would love to see this on the HCx. Makes remembering caches far easier when you do a LOT of them in one day.

I didn't like the fact that the screen on the Oregon was somewhat dim and the battery life was not very good. I also couldn't seem to find the "Satellite" screen that exists on the HCx to check my accuracy. I did however love the paperless aspect. Having everything in a single unit was great.

I have also heard that the Colorado has issues with the "dial" but I don't know for sure.

Regardless, I still have my HCx and it is the unit I use everytime I go caching. Love it and I will probably hold off on buying another unit until I know a bit more about them

I own a Legend HCx and a Colorado 300. I have extensively used a 60CSx.

Of those 3 - I perfer my Colorado 300 unit for Geocaching. The paperless features are easy to use and to learn. The unit is highly accurate and holds onto a signal well in tough conditions. Battery life isn't all that great but it is a rugged and useful unit.

For General purpose hiking and other GPS uses, I would have to lean a little bit towards the 60CSx and away from the Colorado. Just more features and useful features for many situations not realated to Geocaching. A bit easier to use in the car as well due to button placement.

However, I still find myself packing the little eTrex as well. Great little backup unit for many purposes.

Confused yet?

I also love my 60CSx, and highly recommend it. I do use my compass and I find it very handy. I also use my altimeter/barometer. I keep both city navigation maps and topo maps loaded on my unit. I like being able to use either at will, and being able to use them on my computer as well (Buy the DVD/CD maps).

I also would encourage you to choose a Vista HCx over the Legend HCx just for the compass.

I know folks who love each of the units you mention. I don't think any of them are poor choices.

See if I can't confuse you anymore here. I have used a 60Csx for 1,000 caches now and never had a single complaint. But after losing it months ago at a cache in a cave.....grrr....I am thinking about picking up a Colorado due to the paperless caching aspect. I have used my friends Oregon for a few months now (borrowing), and have just not enjoyed it. It seems to me to be missing basic features that the 60Csx had. Ofcours, it's like driving somebody elses car when you are used to yours for so long. Anyhow, with that said.....Good Luck and Happy Caching!

Hey everybody:

Thanks for all the input! In the end I've ordered the eTrex Vista HCx with the US Topo map.

Wish me luck, Happy caching!

:)

Thanks again for everyone for your comments / suggestions!

Good choice - You'll get all you need at a great price point. Have fun Geocaching!

See if I can't confuse you anymore here. I have used a 60Csx for 1,000 caches now and never had a single complaint. But after losing it months ago at a cache in a cave.....grrr....I am thinking about picking up a Colorado due to the paperless caching aspect. I have used my friends Oregon for a few months now (borrowing), and have just not enjoyed it. It seems to me to be missing basic features that the 60Csx had. Ofcours, it's like driving somebody elses car when you are used to yours for so long. Anyhow, with that said.....Good Luck and Happy Caching!

If you don't like the 60CSX features that the Oregon is missing, then you definitely won't like the Colorado. it's missing even more.

Hey everybody:

Thanks for all the input! In the end I've ordered the eTrex Vista HCx with the US Topo map.

Wish me luck, Happy caching!

:)

Thanks again for everyone for your comments / suggestions!

I think you'll like it. Words of advice. Don't leave it in the hot car in the summer. The extreme heat seems to

dissolve the glue on eTrex's gasket, Garmin is good about fixing it, sometimes even after the warranty expired, but it's best to not have the problem in the first place.