I Don't Get It

SeaRangers

I haven't done any geocaching but have been interested it giving it a go. I've learned a little from reviewing websites including this one of course, but what I don't understand is this. When I do a search for geocaches in my area, it shows the location on a map. Doesn't that do 1/2 the work for you and take the fun out of it? I realize that you still have to look for the item, but I thought 1/2 the fun would be the suprise in where the co-ordinates take you.

I haven't done any geocaching but have been interested it giving it a go. I've learned a little from reviewing websites including this one of course, but what I don't understand is this. When I do a search for geocaches in my area, it shows the location on a map. Doesn't that do 1/2 the work for you and take the fun out of it? I realize that you still have to look for the item, but I thought 1/2 the fun would be the suprise in where the co-ordinates take you.

Not at all, in fact, quite the reverse. You are highly unlikely to find a cache just by looking at a map, but if you do want to, you can zoom into an aerial photo to view the terrain. This can be used in making decisions about where to park and how you go about finding it. All part of the fun! :unsure:

Do a test. Pick a 3 star or better cache, print out the map and go hunting. It can be done, but usually the cache is hidden so regular passer-by's can't find it or see it.

Also, we (geocachers) try not to damage the area while looking.

Edited by wkmccall

Not at all, in fact, quite the reverse. You are highly unlikely to find a cache just by looking at a map, but if you do want to, you can zoom into an aerial photo to view the terrain. This can be used in making decisions about where to park and how you go about finding it. All part of the fun! :unsure:

There are certainly some caches which can be found using Google Maps or other satellite imagery. However, there are many places around the world where the resolution on maps is still pretty low. Caches placed in urban environments can often be found without a GPS but there are a lot of caches hidden in densely wooded areas where even a high resolution satellite photo isn't going to help much.

Geocaching has taken me to more nature preserves and trails, scenic locations, and historical attractions than I ever could have found on my own.

That said, you don't have to look at a map. Many people just put in the coords and go. Some don't even review the cache page before heading out. Try that if you would like a surprise.

Me, I like to pick a location I know I will enjoy and then add the fun of looking for a cache.

In doing recon work for caches, I would look at GC157ZM and the google map and sure enough, I can tell you exactly where that cache is. The cache is rated stars1.gif for difficulty and stars1.gif for terrain. GCMRFX is about the same distance from my home in another direction. The google map shows a very different layout, and the cache is rated stars2.gif for difficulty and stars3_5.gif for terrain. You can't really tell from the map exactly where the cache is.

Some people are in it to find as many caches as possibleand want to run out and get the cache and move on to the next one. Some people are in it for a longer hike and more difficult hide. To each his own. I would just say that if you're wanting a more challenging experience, look for caches rated as a higher terrain or difficulty.

However, in the Chicago region - you can see from the grid below that the majority of the caches fall in the range of between 1 and 2 for difficulty and terrain (70%). So if you're looking for something a little more difficulty, you may have less caches from which to choose.

b567e758-1595-4e5d-93a7-879aa81dc599.jpg

Thanks for all the advise. I guess I wasn't looking at the big picture. Since I'm starting out, I was looking at the caches in my own area and so I am familiar with the surroundings. I can see it would be much more interesting going to somewhere I've never been. As I look at the snow outside, I'm thinking someplace tropical would be nice.

Thanks for all the advise. I guess I wasn't looking at the big picture. Since I'm starting out, I was looking at the caches in my own area and so I am familiar with the surroundings.

Just because it is in your area and you are familiar with it does not mean that it wouldn't be interesting or fun or easy to find.

Caches can be right next to an area that you have walked next to for years, and you may have never known it was there.

Some urbans are slick. Others- not so much. Different levels of fun i suppose.